PDA

View Full Version : I don't want my son to get panic attacks!!!!!!!

panickyme
02-12-12, 18:24
Can you please give me advice how to handle this!!!!!!! My 16 year old son was just cutting a bagel for his lunch, and he cut his finger pretty bad. He was like mom I just cut my finger really bad, and I said okay let me see it, do you think you need stitches, and he goes no. So I looked at it, and we washed it. (seemed alright) So I finished making his lunch, and he had a paper towel wrapped on it. He said mom I don't feel good my vision is really messed up, and I am sweating. I said alright honey just lay down, you made yourself feel sick over your cut. (he hates the sight of blood) and I gave him a cool rag for his head. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, and make him more nervous, even know inside I am a nervous wreck. Within 5 minutes he was fine. He's back playing his game. Now here's the thing...... I am afraid he had a panic attack and that is going to happen to him all the time. I want to keep asking him if he is alright, but I don't want to dwell on it. I will die if he gets panic attacks. He can't live like I do. He has his whole life in front of him. I do not let my children know what a wreck I am, I don't even think they know I get panic attacks. ( I never wanted them to inherit them) Do I take him to the Doctor's? or am I over reacting. Ughhhhhhhh..........this is going to make me have a panic attack. I would do anything in the world to make sure my children never lived like I do. Help please!!!!:weep:

nomorepanic
02-12-12, 18:27
To be honest it was just shock.

I cut myself one and nearly passed out but it wasn't a panic attack and nothing you tell me makes me think it was with him or that he will get them.

He will be fine so please don't worry

panickyme
02-12-12, 18:29
Ahhh thank you for that quick response. I just love him so much! Shock I should of thought of that. :)

sophieunderscore
02-12-12, 18:58
Definitely shock, I trapped my finger in a folding table once and it was horrible, went all cold and clammy and thought I might be sick but definitely wasn't a panic attack :hugs:

panickyme
02-12-12, 19:04
Sophie thank you, ouchhhhhh that had to hurt.

joebloggs
02-12-12, 19:15
This is simply shock, although you seem to have been more shocked than your son! Of course he wont get panic attacks. The young bounce back and his hurt will have been forgotten very soon. In fact, it may probably be a good topic of conversation in the playground. Animals and children forget these incidents easily. Have you ever noticed how a dog will almost get run over and within a short time will be eating and playing as normal. It is us who worry; us adults, because we see hidden dangers that are often not there. He will be fine,; and make sure you are by trying not to worry. Regards. john.

panickyme
02-12-12, 19:31
Aww you guys are really the best! What great words of wisdom Joe. Thank you. Your so right he has resiliently forgotten and I am still worrying. :scared15:

Edie
02-12-12, 20:09
This doesn't sound like a panic attack. Fingers do bleed badly so it's understandable to feel a bit woozy. You did just the right thing not to make a big deal of it. I'm glad he's feeling better now.

Thumbelina
02-12-12, 20:28
Haya,
I have the same thoughts about my children not getting all the time, but i guess all the people on here comforted me.

CherryRed
02-12-12, 21:44
My 11 year old son did suffer from panic attacks, He is 20 now, Mine started when i was 13, had to leave school, and be home taught, I explained to my son why he was having to take deep breaths all the time (they were causing him to panic), Told him they wouldn't hurt him, and it only feels a lot worse, because he's thinking about it, Told him it was panic attacks, within a week they were gone, because he was measured by what i told him, and believed that he was gonna be ok, because his mum said so, I only wish when i first started having them i was told what they were, (I though i was going to die) then maybe i still wouldn't be having them today, I now know its panic, i'm so used to living with them, i panic, because i'm scared i will have a panic attack, He has never had any since, At the time he was going through a bad patch at his first high school, he also as asperger's syndrome which also makes him prone to them, when you know why something is happening it makes it easier to deal with, It doesn't sound like your son had one, but my advice would be if ever he did, tell him what they are, there's nothing worse than being scared about some thing happening to you, and you don't know what it is, once my son knew, he would come to me and tell me, and i would explain to him again, calm him down and at the same time tell him that there's noway his mum would ever let anything happen to him, Hope your son is ok x x x

dread
03-12-12, 00:01
I only have to stub my toe and I think the world is collapsing around me...not good when youre as clumsy as me! But it was definitely just the shock.

I highly doubt he will have panic attacks...and in the very worst case he did, you already know everything there iis to know about them and would dispel all his worries very quickly x

panickyme
03-12-12, 01:17
You are all truly the best!!!!!! Thank you so much, for the much needed support. I was able to calm down so much, after all of your post. (still worried, but I will get past it, just watching him be a normal 16 year old) you made me smile. :) Thank you. Debbi

AshleyS
03-12-12, 01:21
Sounds like a normal vasovagal response, it's not the same as a panic attack.

panickyme
03-12-12, 12:25
I thought you lose consciousness with that, thank goodness he never did that, or I would of had a vasovagal response. Thank you for thinking it was not a panic attack, I am still nervous today about it. (He is already off to school, and never mentioned another word about it) Thank you all again, you saved me from a full blown panic attack, and some crazy thinking. :)