PDA

View Full Version : Dreading next week at work.

Lilac58
02-12-12, 18:50
Things have been going well, meds working and got redeployed in a new job which I really like (redeployment was for an injury, not the anxiety stuff). Have been coping well overall

Because I'm still training and the the office have to fulfil a deadline I won't be doing my job next week but will help the admin staff and have to answer the phone. I am sick and crying about it, my worst nightmare. Also it seems very quiet and I think I can't hear people's voices properly. I think I won't be able to cope. When I get so stressed I hurt myself and I don't want that to be happening. I don't know how to cope.

Tyke
03-12-12, 04:24
Just take each day as it comes. You only have to do this for a week, so celebrate each day you tick off. If you get things wrong try to make a bit of a joke about it afterwards it will help ease any tension. If it isn't your usual job then you won't be expected to be at the same standard as those who do it all the time. I have never liked telephone work much, but have had to do it most of my working life and you do get used to it. I think it helps if the nature of the conversations is more enquiry related than complaint related. Most people are quite pleasant if it is just general enquiries and will be okay if you get stuck because you are new. Some phones have a volume control if that helps at all.

Best of luck

Tyke :)

Thumbelina
03-12-12, 04:31
Hi Lilac, i am on the way to work now and dreading it as well if its any comfort to you. On the bright sode think that its only a week and if you are not really enjoying it think of how fast 1 week will pass. Its very fast. Just do what you have to do and dont try to put your emotions in it.
You will be fine!

Tessar
03-12-12, 12:00
Hi Lilac, I believe that Thumbalina & Tyke are right; it is only week; it will pass especially if you can take each day as it comes. Celebrating each day you tick off is a good plan, as is making a bit of a joke about it afterwards to ease tension if it doesnt quite pan out.
I work in an open plan office & sometimes do feel self-conscious about being on the phone as everyone includng the bosses hear pretty much every word. but the way i look at it is... i quite like hearing my colleagues on the phone, sometimes it's comforting hearing people at work. The sound of familiar voices. Plus we all have our own style as it were, so you may find people actually think you are good at it & may enjoy listening to you (in a good way).
I always smile as i pick the phone up, that way i'm at my most cheerful. I do my best to listen carefully to what they say but if i can hear them, i get them to repeat it. phonelines can be bad so there's no harm in asking someone again. also i wonder if the phone might have a volume control? i had to turn the one up here as it was way too quiet. it may sound easy but the more positive you are when picking up the phone, the better the call will probably go. a nice deep breath & then smile. You are helping your colleagues out here - they will be grateful at a stressful time for them. I also remind myself that whilst my focus is 100% on me, my colleagues are probably so busy or involved in what they are doing - they dont even notice me at all.
I really do understand how it feels as i have been there myself. when i took the job i'm in now, i decided i was just going to be confident. first few times i took phonecalls i was nervous but even if i hadnt a clue what i was on about, i sounded happy & helpful. i think that counts for alot. you can sound expert about things even if you dont know. again i know it sounds easy but many people bluff their way through difficult situations, they just hide their uneasiness well.
rather than spending the next few days worrying about it, try distracting yourself with something else if you find you are dwelling. something you like - whether its music or a fav. tv programme, maybe even writing down feelings helps to ease them. you can write anything you like, it can ease stress i find. distraction may sound simplistic but it does work.
Please remember that hurting yourself is not the answer. I sometimes have overwhelming temptation to hurt myself to easy my feelings but I remind myself that it leaves scars. Once the stressful situation has passed, no matter how bad it was at the time, when i am feeling better i know I will regret hurting myself. the scars will still be there when i have healed my mind. You are worth more than that, really you are.