PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss on Setraline?

Gotagetthroughthis
02-12-12, 20:31
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this and if there's anything that can be done to try and stop it.

Ive been on Sertraline for about 3 and a half months now and I went up from 50mg to 75mg at about the 3 month mark. I think they have helped my anxiety issues some what and I feel better on these than I did on the Citalopram.

My only problem is at about the 3 month mark onwards, about the time I went up to 75mg i think, my hair has been falling out at an increasing rate. I am male and don't have very long hair anyway, but enough where you can notice whats falling out. I've been waking up with hairs on my pillows in the morning and then when I have a shower is when I usually notice it most, if I wash my hair or just run my hands through it, a good 5 - 10 strands come out every time. Knowone in my family has lost their hair so im sure it is to do with the meds and not just a natural thing. Im in my early 20s by the way.

I feel I do need these meds due to my major anxiety issues but really do not want to be on them if is causing this hair loss. It may sound silly but to me my hair means a lot.

I have since gone back down to 50mg, but I am still experiencing the hair loss.

I have researched a bit into this and have read story's of people losing there hair and most say it did not return once they stopped taking the Tablets.

Is there anything I can do to help prevent the hair loss? Anyone else know anything about this or experienced hair loss on this drug?

Any advice would be great guys

Thanks

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Sorry mispelt the title there "Sertraline"

Anyone any ideas on this?

Gotagetthroughthis
17-12-12, 22:07
Sorry to bring this thread up again, but didn't get any answers.
Anyone know know anything about this?

Mark13
17-12-12, 22:39
A quick Google seems to show that it is a possible side effect of sertraline.

I've been on numerous ADs and not had that problem, I don't think, but as baldness runs in our family and has caught me up, I can't really say if these drugs contributed, other than to say I had much less hair at 40 than my dad did.

MissHDynamite
17-12-12, 22:42
Hello you.. I haven't heard of this before. If it definately coming out in an obvious way it could be because of the stress and not the tabs x

James1983
17-12-12, 23:40
i am on 50 - 100mg and my hair still grows like weeds!:) it could be something unrelated to sertraline?

Zolofted
04-01-13, 16:57
I've lost si much hair while on Sertraline that I became obsessed with it and kept checking for bald patches all the time. Don't lose hair anymore since came off.
I knew it was from Sertraline even though dr always said no.

Evedawn
04-01-13, 18:39
Well my hair seems to be thinning. No bald patches but not as lustrous! I'm a woman and this would not be good!!

Gotagetthroughthis
12-01-13, 17:37
Yea it has to be the Sertraline causing the hair loss. I had my hair cut a couple of weeks ago as it was quite long for me and I thought it may just be hair naturally falling out as my hair was longer but since having it cut it is still falling out at an increasing rate.

I'm beginning to taper down off Sertraline now.