PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and alcohol

lourah1989
02-12-12, 20:07
Last night I stupidly drank a whole bottle of wine and two shorts of whiskey today I feel like shit my anxiety is so bad feel as though my heart is going to stop beating my legs keep twitching and I can't sleep because I'm scared I won't wake up doesanyone else ever get this after heavy drinking :(

Pinktel
02-12-12, 20:29
Yes! And each time I always say I will not drink again as it isn't worth the pain of the heightened anxiety the following day (always seem to forget it though!!)

missybct
02-12-12, 22:10
Yep! My anxiety was always tied in with the hangovers - the feeling of being sick made it much worse as I have a phobia of it.

Nowadays I don't drink very much at all as I take medication that interacts with it, plus it makes me feel rubbish anyway. To be honest, I don't mind too much as before I was using alcohol as a crutch to try and drink away my problems (like four bottles of wine a week) and now I struggle to drink half a bottle - in the last seven weeks I've probably drank about a bottle of wine, a pint of beer and a few amarettos and cokes. Two years ago, that would have been one night out!

Tyke
03-12-12, 04:33
Yes, this all sounds quite normal.

I'm not currently on medication, so I tend to drink a bit when things are tough, but the following days are not pleasant. I always think it's not worth it afterwards, but then I forget that crap feeling and repeat the process!

Tyke :)

Thumbelina
03-12-12, 04:42
I have not been drinking since 11 years ago, pregnancies, breastfeeding and then GAD. Wouldnt want to feel alcohol + anxiety, must be even worse....
My husband, who likes his drink always says - you should try - it might cheer hoi up!

xBettyBoopx
03-12-12, 04:53
Hey there

Alcohol is a depressant, so would make you feel quite relaxed at the start but then when you've sobbered up.................well anxiety panic etc.

You say that it's like that when you have had a night of heavy drinking! Don't drink so much then, drink less and actually enjoy yourself rather than getting plastered.

:yesyes::yesyes:

Emma86
03-12-12, 09:04
Yes that is all normal. Its the reason I dont drink! Well I'll have the odd drink but the last time I over did it and had the worst hangover ever was around 4 years ago now, I thought I was going to die, it was awful.
I cant drink anyway with the medication anyway and like others have said I dont mind not drinking, I dont enjoy it and can have a good time without it!
Maybe dont drink so much next time and you wont feel so bad :D

chris39
03-12-12, 09:38
Hi.
I eventually gave up alcohol seven years ago and I don't miss it one bit. This was from being a heavy drinker.
Although the first couple of drinks after work were glorious and made me feel on top of the world. The downer the next day was awful. I decided the ups and downs were too much. I would rather not and keep a level feeling.

I found the day after drinking I was very down and hard to pick up. Edgy as hell and people would just get a nod rather than greeting.

Orange juice for me this Xmas and it won't bother me one bit. Even though I love the smell of baileys.

Jamesk
10-01-13, 11:41
I was about to start a thread on this but thought I would search instead.

I tend to self-medicate a bit with booze even though I know it is a stupid idea. I have been really really anxious the last few weeks - I mean through the roof.

Yesterday I had (for me) a quiet evening and had maybe two glasses of wine, slept better and feel better there today - a lot of the problems are still staring me in the face but I feel more able to cope.

Could it really be as easy as not having a drink?

jackie13
10-01-13, 12:13
Hi there

Well, alcohol and anxiety do NOT mix!

5 years ago I was an extremely heavy drinker 3/4 bottle of wine a night and on meds! I had a breakdown over the Xmas then and cannot get rid of that memory every Xmas!

I had another blip after a drinking binge last September, since then I have really cut down to the recommended daily intake for women. When I go out with hubby I mostly drink alcohol free beer or I will have a couple of halfs of Carsberg which is only 3.6% a pint!

Old habits die hard as I have truly missed my alcohol. Even though I am still on meds, I still have a drink now and then but NEVER get plastered.

Jackie x

Sparkle1984
10-01-13, 13:49
I was about to start a thread on this but thought I would search instead.

I tend to self-medicate a bit with booze even though I know it is a stupid idea. I have been really really anxious the last few weeks - I mean through the roof.

Yesterday I had (for me) a quiet evening and had maybe two glasses of wine, slept better and feel better there today - a lot of the problems are still staring me in the face but I feel more able to cope.

Could it really be as easy as not having a drink?

Maybe it could be the alcohol. Have you ever had CBT? This would teach you coping techniques for your anxiety so you won't have to resort to self medication. You can ask your doctor for a referral.

missfishlash
15-01-13, 22:23
I sometimes find that getting quite tipsy (not smashed) is the only way I can shut off my anxiety and stop myself noticing the pins and needles that are so annoying. But then afterwards Im getting worried that I drink too much or Im relying on it to cope

KCam11
10-03-13, 10:01
Im glad I found this posting!! I had too much to drink on Friday night and now I feel super anxious. Im worried Im going to become an alcoholic or depend on it to cope!

I think Im giving up booze all together!

Divan
06-04-13, 14:38
I have enjoyed/abused alcohol for some years now, when I started
drinking I did not have anxiety, or at least I did not notice it yet,
I used to drink to cope with depression or help me 'wallow' my issues
out, apart from the need to socialize and escape! Anxiey developed
later on for whatever reasons and I noticed I couldn't drink like I used
to any more, still not having knowledge of the link between alcohol
and anxiety. Nonetheless, it didn't stop me in binging for some time longer.
One day when I was in a very poor situation(literally and figuratively) I felt
"uncomfortable", which was actually a developing panic attack, so I had
some drinks to make me "feel better"...The result was a full blown panic
attack...
Even so, today I keep drinks for weekends, or a certain amount of time per week as I am still not ready to leave alcohol, the social acceptance and escapism that it brings. It still turns out to be a binge though, just to make sure "I had enough". I do not feel enlightened enough to go sober all the time,
and I think many people feel the same but just don't say it...

Bekzie
06-04-13, 15:14
yep I get this all the time even when only drinking a couple of glasses so I don't drink anymore :)

lourah1989
08-04-13, 02:52
You are an inspiration ... I find it very difficult I don't drink every day but when I d drink I binge drink !

How long did you drink like the 4 ???

Xxx welldone