PDA

View Full Version : Does it get better - I'm desperate

Jen Sat
03-12-12, 08:16
I'm day 9 into taking Paroxetine and I feel awful. Yesterday I went out and only made it to the end of the road and to get back home and had diaorhea for the rest of the day. Am so nausious, i dont want to eat. I wake in the early hours and get even more anxious thinking about how I am feeling. Was thinking of reducing the dose to 10mg and weaning myself off them as I dont know how much longer I can take this. I was off work for 3 weeks and only went back on Thursday now I have asked to work from home today as feeling so bad. I am calling the doctors now and it has been ringing for 10mins - no answer!!!!

ricardo
03-12-12, 08:29
Jen

You sound a frightened person and in panic. don't alter the dose yourself and I know it is difficult to say but 9 days is not enough time to see if the Paroxetine works, you will need a few weeks.
I hope you get through to your GP.
If it's any consolation many of us have these symptoms when first starting medication yet no two people react the same.

Zingything
03-12-12, 08:33
I have been taking this medication for many many years of various doses and don't really have any side effects. It does take some time to get into your system and start working and for your body to become accustomed to it. Jen just hang in there for a couple more weeks and give it a chance to work. xx

Jen Sat
03-12-12, 08:37
Thanks, but how do you function with the side effects? I worry about needing to go to the toilet whilst I am stuck on the tube or bus and not making it. I know this adds to the anxiety but I have noticed that after taking the meds about 2hrs later I need to go to the bathroom. The nausea is just awful and comes in waves.

Zingything
03-12-12, 08:46
Jen, I woud try and speak to your GP again. Side effects don't generally last for more than a couple of weeks in my experience but I have to say that I did feel sick at first but it wasn't too bad. Bear in mind that it will effect everyone differently, some people don't have side effects at all.
It might it be the anxiety of taking the tablet that is making you feel sick, I know that when I get very anxious I am nauseous and am often sick.
Are you eating properly?
Do mention it to your GP, he may suggest persevering with the meds or even suggest an alternative or an anti-sickness tablet.
Try not to worry xx

Thumbelina
03-12-12, 08:54
Hi Jen,
It is what doctor told me also -'it might get worse before it gets better'.
I also suggest you to try and bare wih the sideeffects as almost all people on this site had some sort of sideeffects when started medications. I also have diarhea all the time for 2 weeks now. I just try to drink as much as possible and force feed myself with the processed food.
It will get better - just believe in it.
Also it took me 3'months before to stabilise the sideffects, but it was probably the longest case ever, though doctor was saying it was ok, she was saying it can take up to 6 months to become ok!!!
You will be fine sooner then me though. I was a very difficult case - i had no proper treatment for few years so my anx and panic was all over the place...

Jen Sat
03-12-12, 09:10
Thanks all, I have left a message for the doctor to call me back. I wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy :(

chris39
03-12-12, 09:17
Hi. I did use paroxetine or seroxat at first for a while. It is tough at first and i felt rougher on them for a time but once my body got used to it which in my case was about 8 weeks till the side effects wore off for me. I was also taking diazepam as and when needed too.

mimijames
03-12-12, 09:27
This was the first med they tried me on and I could not get on with it at all so they did change my medication, so maybe just talk to your Dr and see what they say, I think I was only on it for a couple of weeks but I just couldnt cope with it but generally it can take anything from 2 - 12 weeks to get over the side effects, everyone is different I know, but I couldnt cope with that particular med.

I take Citalopram now and theres good and bad opinions on that one too so its really finding the one that suits you best, I hope you feel better soon, we all know what you are going through and its bloody awful .. :hugs:

Jen Sat
03-12-12, 11:01
Thanks everyone for taking the time out to respond. Ok I have spoken to the doc and she has said to stop taking them and go and see her on Thursday for a review. She said that if my stomach/nausea settles then we can pin point it to the Paroxetine. In the mean time I can take Propranolol to take the edge off if needed. Hopefully there shouldnt be any side affects as I havent been on them very long.

Thumbelina
03-12-12, 11:24
Thats great that your doctor returned the call and suggested to try and stop it.
See how you feel and wish uou to find a remedy with less discomfort to you.

Jen Sat
03-12-12, 13:30
:hugs:Thanks for your support

missybct
03-12-12, 13:34
Hi Jen.

There are lots of different medications out there that can help with anxiety and panic, so hopefully the doctor will suggest one that works for you.

As others have said, it takes a while for the drug to kick in, and sometimes the side effects can be really nasty. But I think you did the right thing with speaking to the doctor, and hopefully if they prescribe you another medication it won't be as harsh on you.

Good luck x