PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy my GP has freaked me out

gordie1
04-12-12, 05:19
Hi there I am scheduled for a colonoscopy 14th December and I am a bit worried about it. I spoke to a locum at my GPs and asked her about the risks of sedation and asked them what they were and she stupidly told me that sometimes the drug they give can stop people breathing and a tube has to be put down so that they can breathe for you. This has freaked me out. I had the same sedation with a gastroscopy 3 years ago and I was fine. I wish she hadnt told me that. They never told me with the gastroscopy. Has anyone encountered any problems before with this drug or the procedure I need to get this done because I am having bleeding and weight loss as well as stomach pain. But I am really anxious now.

nomorepanic
04-12-12, 12:33
Never heard of that one with anyone on here that has had it done.

Annie0904
04-12-12, 12:40
I had it done and was fine. They always tell you the risks even if they have never happened. My son had a major operation once and they told me there was a risk of death from it, I asked if anyone had ever died having the operation and he said no! Don't worry colonoscopy is quite a simple procedure and you will be fine. It is not a high sedation anyway as the procedure doesn't take long.

Tero
04-12-12, 12:42
I've survived anesthesia 4 times, never had the breathing issue. But good luck.

You might have a slight "hangover", that's all.

nomorepanic
04-12-12, 13:13
Oh I forgot to add that you don't have to have sedation - I never do

almamatters
04-12-12, 14:27
Hi Gordie1. I have colonoscopy and endoscopy booked for Dec 19th and like you have opted for sedation, I have not heard about the breathing thing neither, not sure whether to now risk it without the sedation. Thing is, I am scared to know what is happening as I am visualising all the terrible things they are going to find :weep:. I have never had a procedure like this before and am very worried. Good luck for yours. :flowers:

Annie0904
04-12-12, 16:56
My sedation was fine, woke up on a ward with a lovely cup of tea :)

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

I might add that I have asthma and it never affected me at all

Frankie123
04-12-12, 17:54
I have had four colonoscopies because I am on a recall system and I have never heard of anyone needing resuscitation. The injection they give you doesn't knock you out just makes you a bit light headed. In fact, I always watch what they are doing as I find it quite interesting and they are happy to explain findings as they go along. I am quite sure you will be fine and I think the GP you spoke to was rather silly.