PDA

View Full Version : bruise from blood test

Eek
04-12-12, 06:29
Hi,

I had a blood test done yesterday and it's bruised. I read on here about some people getting blood clots from cannulas and am worried now that I'm going to get a blood clot even though it was just a blood test and not a cannula :( Is bruising after a blood test normal?

Ddcoo
04-12-12, 08:21
Yes it is normal to have bruising after a blood test. I have my blood tested regularly and 9 times out of 10 there is bruising. It is the leakage of blood out of the vein when they take the needle out and it depends how much leaks out that depends on the size of the bruise. That is why they put a bit of cotton wool on the site and ask you to press hard, this seals the hole. Hope this helps.

Hypo
04-12-12, 08:54
You are fine :)

I often bruise instantly after a blood test.

Ddcoo is right.. you do not have to worry about this. It is completely harmless, I promise you.

Eek
04-12-12, 11:14
Thank you, my HA is playing up a lot at the moment I'm worrying about everything.

Annie0904
04-12-12, 11:16
I always bruise badly after a blood test, like the others have said...you will be fine.

overhead_drums
04-12-12, 11:33
Hi Eek,

I had a HUGE bruise for about two weeks after my blood test, i started to think it would never go. Its all gone now, no harm done, your fine! :-D

lo89
04-12-12, 13:53
I also bruise after a blood test, however if you press the cotton wool REALLY hard into your arm rather than taping it on, you should bruise less. My normal nurse always does this for me as I am allergic to adhesives but if it is someone different I sometimes forget to tell them, and I always bruise.

Elle-Kay
04-12-12, 13:54
I get HUGE bruises after blood tests (the width of my elbow, and about 4-5 inches long). It's nothing to worry about.

almamatters
04-12-12, 14:33
Hi. I always bruise after a blood test, and as I bruise very easily, I end up with a awful looking thing that lasts for a few days. I would of thought most people bruise after having blood taken. :flowers:

Nat20
04-12-12, 16:13
Hiya, I have health anxiety so I get a lot of blood tests. Pretty much after every test I get a bruise, I think it's mainly because the nurses are not gentle enough. But it's fine. A blood test will not cause a clot. I had a tube stuck in my arm once and to make sure it would be fine they flushed it with salted water. Don't worry :) X

gwhite73
04-12-12, 16:32
Yup, I get bruises on most blood tests too. Only if the nurse is extremely gentle will it not bruise. Like most bruises it takes a while to disappear too, so no need to worry ! :)

Elle-Kay
04-12-12, 17:10
Incidentally, GPs and Practice Nurses are notoriously "rough" at taking blood samples, as they don't do it regularly (relatively speaking). If you want less of a bruise, you need a Blood Nurse (who's doing it all day, every day) to take the sample! :)

Sparkle1984
04-12-12, 21:48
I had a blood test a couple of months ago and I had bruising as well. It healed after a few days though. :) It's very common and nothing to worry about.

Tish
05-12-12, 04:43
I find that if you keep your arm straight and relaxed after having blood taken, you don't bruise. NEVER bend your arm.

Eek
05-12-12, 04:57
Thanks guys. I don't usually bruise, they're pretty good at my clinic, but I had a different phlebotamist this time so that's prolly why.