PDA

View Full Version : Swollen right tonsil and lymph nodes?!!???!

Rossi_uk
04-12-12, 10:24
For a good few months now maybe longer my right tonsil is much bigger then my left! Doctor checked just gives antibiotics everytime! My lymph nodes in my neck in the right are bigger also! Plus I have had a random high fever then shivers for past few weeks! Also I have had one night in past few months where I work up soaking wet but that was only once! I've had blood test last week and they came back all fine :/ so what's going on? I'm worried about the worst outcome obviously but I really don't know what to do? Help! Xx

little scientist
04-12-12, 11:00
Hi Rossi, everything you describe suggests infection (big tonsil, swollen glands, fever) - the swollen glands are just your body's immune system waking up to tackle the infection, and the shivers etc are an effect of the infection.

As you say your blood tests came back fine, anything bad would have impacted on yoru general blood parameters which have been seen to be ok :)

Antibiotics will only help if the infection is bacterial (which the infection in the tonsil might be). If its viral, it just has to be ridden out, but the fever can be helped with paracetamol.

As your pic says, don't panic :) it just sounds like a bug x

joebloggs
04-12-12, 12:53
Hi. Rossi. Tonsils are funny glands. No one seems to now exactly what they do. When I was young we had what was called 'school doctors' who came and gave us a check up every year. On one occasion my Father was told that it was imperative that mine be removed; if not dire consequences could result. I am getting on a bit now, still have my tonsils and have had no trouble at any time. It was a 'fashion' in those days to have them out. A bit like hysterectomy today. (See latest surgeon struck off!). Not to worry. As 'little scientist' says, antibiotics don't work on viruses so keep up the gargles (see pharmacist/doctor). Best wishes. joe.