PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get this with anxiety?

Emma86
04-12-12, 13:20
I get this all the time with my anxiety.
When I have my good days and the times when I do feel good (which isnt often) my mind still looks for anything wrong, somethings not right, I cant be feeling this good.
If I have a good walk to meet my daughter at school, I think wheres the palpitations, why isnt my heart racing. Always looking for the worst. I cant just seem to relax and enjoy myself when I am feeling good, its like its too good to be true, something bad will eventually happen to me.
I hate thinking like this and really need to change it. Im working on this with CBT and my therapist is understanding I just cant see it happening :(

diggory
04-12-12, 13:45
Try looking into mindfulness meditation it's fun and it works ! Some CBT (the good ones) combine mindfulness work within the course. Try looking online at franticworld .com and their associated book and CD is highly recommended. Mindfulness by Mark Williams end Danny Penman. Don't forget the old quote 'I think therefore I am' Dangerously true, but you are not really your thoughts as most of the Mindfulness practitioners will tell you !!! Good luck,don't worry we have all been there... but there is help if you give it a shot !!

missybct
04-12-12, 15:02
Hi Emma

I think this is quite common and I know I suffer from it. In the periods where we feel better, or less harassed by symptoms, we end up over-thinking and wondering where they all are.

It's kind of ironic really - we hate the symptoms we suffer from when we are in the real midst of it, yet when they are not there, we wonder where they are. It's almost as if anxiety is sort of like an unwelcome companion and when they disappear we feel a bit alien without them. A bit like a prisoner who goes into jail and adapts to the surroundings around them, and once out is so institutalised to the way of life in jail that they cannot cope with the "real" world.

Try to embrace them, instead of questioning them. Work alongside your CBT Therapist and if it helps, write down a record of your sessions in a diary so you can reflect over it.

Remember, just because you feel better doesn't mean the worst is going to happen. Your mind is not preparing you for a fall. It's just working itself out.