PDA

View Full Version : Reinstating... :(

Emphyrio
04-12-12, 18:35
Hello everyone - I'm back...

I've been feeling pretty bad for the past week (I've been off fluoxetine for around a month now) and have been worrying about everything, clenching my teeth, jiggling my legs around etc, which all suggests withdrawal symptoms to me (although it could also be underlying depression/anxiety). I really hate these feelings of hopelessness so have decided to 'reinstate' at the dose I was at before (5mg) and see what happens...

The only issue I have though, is that even at 5mg, my libido was severely affected, though after the last few days I'd prefer low libido over depression any time!

Has anyone here reinstated after a few weeks off - and if so, how long did it take to 'get back into your system?'

Thanks!

toomuch
05-12-12, 14:10
Hi, I (stupidly) tapered my dose down from 60mg at the beginning of the year to nothing by June. Unfortunately, panic attacks came back 3 months later so back on them. Day 9 today, still suffering with severe anxiety, although better night last night of sleep. Assume it will take 2-3 weeks again to show any improvement. I guess we just have to be patient! (sic)

pretoria
06-12-12, 10:17
Hey Emphyrio

Sorry your depression/anxiety has left you feeling pretty bad, it's such a pain in the bum as it's such a roller coaster ride with these types of problems, throws stability out of the window! Anyway if you're feeling bad maybe it is a good idea to reinstate you're Fluoxetine :) However I know you have always stuck by your guns and said 5-7mg can be as much benefit as a larger dose in my opinion 5-7mg is such a sub therapeutic dose that maybe you're only benefiting for a placebo affect? I know for anxiety the ideal dose is 20-40mg and one that for a can take 4-8 weeks atleast before signs of improvement may happen? Just my thoughts on the subject but you must do what makes you feel comfortable, maybe speak to you GP about what his opinion is on a dose you would benefit from?

Hope you get this sorted as it is an unpleasant journey :/

Nathan

Emphyrio
06-12-12, 13:19
Thanks for the replies, pretoria and toomuch.

I was originally on 20mg - I took this between the end of June and mid-September. I felt really agitated on it - had developed insomnia, restless legs, and my libido was completely non-existent. After I dropped to 6.6666mg/day, then 5mg/day, I felt much better - it was only since I came off it completely around a month ago that I've been feeling bad. I decided to come off it at 5mg because I was still experiencing some sexual dysfunction on it (albeit not as bad as I did on 20mg).

I'm either going to stay on it at a low dose and speak to my GP about possible things I can take for this unwanted side effect (I know I can take more if its efficacy lessens over time), or taper off it completely over a longer period of time. If the depression/anxiety returns I'll know its not withdrawal symptoms and just a return of the original illness - then I'll have to consider what other options there are (inc herbal remedies).

Hope you two are both doing ok!

Piano
07-12-12, 06:42
Hi, I've heard buspirone may help to counteract the sexual side effects from fluoxetine. I don't know if this is true, but you may want do mention it to your doctor.