PDA

View Full Version : Anyone there??

MelSilk
04-12-12, 21:00
I am new here and i am looking for someone to help me.

Going through a really tough time now. I have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for six years and i take 40mg of citalopram a day. Over the last couple of weeks I have been feeling really anxious and having panic attacks - these always happen at night before i go to bed.

this is driving me crazy and i just want it to stop!!!

Help

Annie0904
04-12-12, 21:16
I am so sorry you are having a bad time at the moment. Have you read the links at the side of the page? They may help you. Have you tried other methods to help you relax on an evening, such as chamomile tea, Bach rescue night spray. They will stop when you learn to deal with them. Have you had any counselling?

joebloggs
05-12-12, 07:37
Hi.Mel. Have you been back to your GP as you may need different medication?. Sometimes you can become 'tolerant' to medication. In other words your body gets used to them and they are no longer effective. Do you anticipate having a bad night before you go to bed?
This can cause anxiety and more fear and start you off on the old negative spiral of fear-adrenaline-fear. At night, when our body is tired, it is difficult to throw off negative feelings. It is as if the brain fastens on to these thoughts and will not let go. Can you just slump into a chair, take deep breaths and let them out slowly while trying to accept the way you feel. I am not minimising your feelings. I have been there and know what you are going through. Try not to fight the feelings or struggle to get rid of them This is self defeating and leads to more fear. One feels inadequate in helping someone who is going through this but the words 'going through' sums it up. You will recover, rest assured, if you deal with it in the right way. I do hope you had a reasonable night. Best wishes to you. joe.

Thumbelina
05-12-12, 09:03
Hi Melissa,
I am really sorry that you have to deal with this.
You are not alone though as there are so many people that go through this and later they enjoy life as it never happened to them. Dont be upset as there is nothing you did or didnt do for it to happen - its just the way your body reacts to some stressors in your life. It is upsetting at the beginning because we dont want to feel that way - we just want to feel "normal" but then if you try to remind yourself that all it is just the combination of bodily sensations and thoughts - then it is easier to let it pass....
I hope you find useful all the discussions you see on thos site.
You are not alone

MelSilk
05-12-12, 10:49
Hey all, thank you for all the replies. It feels good to know that I am not alone. I see a phychiatrist every three months who checks how I am doing in relation to the medication. I basically sat in the dark, with my laptop on my lap open to this site and I calmed down in about a half an hour. I am having some issues with my husband at the moment - nothing serious but just these little niggling things - I think these are causing me to feel anxious - feel very tired today tho :scared15: I am going on leave in two weeks - maybe that will help?

Also been smoking like a chimney - I need to give up, but its so hard

Annie0904
05-12-12, 11:07
Anxiety is always worse when you are tired...be kind to yourself and give yourself chance to rest...housework etc can wait until you feel a bit better.

MelSilk
05-12-12, 11:22
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply. I have so much work to do and this effects my performance - My boss isnt very understanding.

I am just trying to breathe in and out - it hasnt gotten too bad today. Its the night thats bad. I hope that tonight I can just chill and go and sleep without issues.

Annie0904
05-12-12, 11:25
I have that problem with my managers at work...hence the reason my doctor has just signed me off for another 6 weeks. It is difficult for others to see just how debilitating anxiety can be. :hugs:

MelSilk
05-12-12, 16:45
I had a GP that booked me off for a week. But my boss made me come in anyway :mad:, didnt have any time to settle into the meds or anything.

I have that feeling again in the pit of my stomach. I literally undressed and just climbed into my bed with my laptop and my husband ordered take aways. I just feel so heavy on my chest and my thoughts are so scrambled. I know that when it gets later I am going to be feeling a little worse as time passes, then I think about how bad I am going to feel and then I feel worse! Vicious cycle.

I only have three cigarettes for this evening - I dont want to chain smoke, I want to quit so I am weaning myself off of it.

I get the daily headaches, the laboured breathing, the burps, the dizziness, heaviness, feeling faint and then that adrenaline rush that something is not right. Ugh, hate it so much but I feel a little better when I talk about it.

I am trying to stay positive but I am already thinking about what is going to happen when I must fall asleep and the work I must do tomorrow before my boss comes back from overseas. :weep:

I just want to be normal - I dont even know what normal is anymore.

MelSilk
13-12-12, 16:45
I had such a bad night last night. I had to get my husband to take me over to my mothers house at 11pm last night. Felt this niggling pain under my left arm next to my breast, and then all of the sudden - BAM!!! The panic set in. It was bad, I was shouting at my husband and asking him to take me to the hospital that I was having a heart attack. Then I suggested he take me to my mother rather. As she is an anxiety sufferer too, she is the best person to help me cope.

Now I am feeling wretched!! I am exhausted and I dont want to do anything. Dont feel like making supper, just showered and lying in my room. Dont even feel like talking. WISH I WAS NORMAL!!!!!!

Sometimes when I cry, I ask why is God doing this to me. I have done nothing wrong! I just dont see why I cant be a normal person who enjoys life.

Feeling really low today, need some help to get by.

:weep::scared15::scared11::frown:

Annie0904
13-12-12, 16:53
I am really sorry that you are feeling no better. It will get better, you have to remember that anxiety and panic attacks can not harm you and they will pass. Sending you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

MelSilk
13-12-12, 18:32
Thanks Annie,

I am trying to relax and be positive but I just feel so scared. I dont want to start having problems with my husband again because there was a stage I couldnt be at home - stayed with my mother for almost a month, everytime i came home, i would seize up right into panic and my husband would have to drive me back :( its not him though - I am not sure what it is. Shame, he has tried so hard sometimes...

I feel very tight this evening, everything feels constricted. Chest feels heavy, burping, forcing myself to breathe...

NYCGal
13-12-12, 21:40
Hi MelSilk,
I too suffer from Panic and Anxiety disorder. And my worst time is at night. As soon as I start to stop thinking about work, everything else just floods my head and then the symptoms start. Shortness of breath, chest pain, rapid hear beat, arm aches, eye flashes, dizziness, the list goes on. . .
The rational part of me knows I am ok, but the irrational/overactive side of me always seems to take over.
I relate to that feeling of wanting to feel normal again. I tell me doctors regularly, I just want to get back to baseline . . .but its been so long since I've been there, I am not sure where that is anymore.
One technique I have learned, which helps me to calm down if done right at the start of the symptoms is breathing slowly and counting to ten on my breath in and then ten while I exhale. I have to concentrate on it and after about 10 mins it normally starts to make me relax.
Good luck and I hope tonight isn't too rough!

MelSilk
14-12-12, 07:49
Hi,

Oh what a nightmare today is. I am actually having an attack at work.!!!

Help me please!!