PDA

View Full Version : How long ???

Scoobydoo1
05-12-12, 09:02
I've been on citalophram now for 3 weeks , 2 weeks at 10mg and one week at 20mg, when should I start to feel better, still very anxious in the mornings and feel very low in the Eve's? Any advice would be really appreciated. X

BobbyDog
05-12-12, 09:09
I am not currently taking Citalopram, but I did take it for about 8 years previously. I would say 4-6 weeks before you start to feel any real benefit, if you are still very anxious then go back and discuss your concerns with your GP.
All the best.

TommyGun
05-12-12, 09:16
Probably never if you have severe anxiety, its not a very good drug.

dread
05-12-12, 10:13
Probably never if you have severe anxiety, its not a very good drug.

I think this a very unproductive and biased response...everyone reacts differently to medication, and in my experience, Citalopram was amazing, and for many many people it has been a massive help. I am just back on it after 2 months meds free, and was on it for 4 years previously. Side effects and initial "getting into your system" can take upto anywhere around 2 months.

My advice - if it's not making you worse, then it stick with it. Try not to read too much into other peoples experience, and remember - only people with 'problems' with medication are likely to come looking on forums for answers...people who feel better won't, so you're less likely to read about the positive stories.

Also, if you find that Citalopram doesn't make any kind of improvement for you after a few months, it is worth trying other avenues- citalopram and medication aren't the be all and end all, there's always holiostic therapy, natural remedies, other medication etc.

All the best x

jayjoe18
05-12-12, 13:42
My advice - if it's not making you worse, then it stick with it. Try not to read too much into other peoples experience, and remember - only people with 'problems' with medication are likely to come looking on forums for answers...people who feel better won't, so you're less likely to read about the positive stories.

Thanks so much for this point, really made me think as I'm struggling to decide whether medication is a route I want to go down as all I keep seeing is the side effects/negative experiences, so thank you!