PDA

View Full Version : New member - old panic!

Pam
10-06-04, 10:57
Hi
I'm a bit wary about starting this as I don't want to get as obsessed with my health as I have been before. But I do feel I could do with some support at this moment.
I suffered very badly with panic attacks about 20 years ago and became very depressed and anxious and could hardly leave the house for months.
Eventually after counselling I learnt to control my panic attacks and to rise above my hypochondria. But I have always been worried about my health and get panicky about strange feelings. I just manage to deal with it better now.
However just recently I started having panic attacks at work. The reason was clear. I hate my job and am leaving in three months to go back to do an MA at university which I am really looking forward to.
However I feel trapped and claustraphobic at work and have started getting strange symptoms again.
I have had blood tests and seen the doctor a few times.
I was reassured that it was all stress related and I have started jogging to get more exercise and cut down on alcohol (I found one or two drinks a night would make me feel better).
The panic attacks have stopped and I felt more in control.
BUT in the past couple of weeks I have had a symptom I've not had before and now I think perhaps the doctors are all wrong and because of my past history they have just jumped to that conclusion.
I think I might have MS or Parkinsons disease (I know I haven't but you know the thought process!!)
I have a strange vibrating feeling throughout my body which is more noticeable when I am sitting at work or in bed. It's like a pulsing but it's not my heartbeat. Also it feels like my body is moving and pulsing and shaking inside but I don't think it actually looks like it is from the outside.
It's just a weird feeling and I want it to stop. I'm trying to ignore it and I thought if it is stress then it will eventually go away but now I am becoming obsessed and think it is the sign of some serious disease.
Please I hope somebody else understands this feeling and can reassure me.
I'm sorry to go on but I know that people reading this understand (unlike family, and even doctors who have never actually experienced it).
I'm worried because I have been coping so well for a very long time and I don't want this to spiral out of control especially when I have got so much to look forward to.
Pam

pips
10-06-04, 11:35
Hi Pam,

Sorry to read you are feeling bad at the moment.

I totally understand how you are feeling. I'm not feeling the greatest at the mo! Anyway I often worry about anxiety and health related issues!
I am going to post a new topic under MISC about a book I have just bought.
Hope this helps you and I hope you will feel better very soon!
Take care

Love PIP'S XX

Meg
10-06-04, 16:17
Hi Pam,

Welcome .

Its strange feeling that pulsing and internally trembly. I used to have it and found it was far more promounced when I was tired, hot, dehydrated or just still.
It too will pass..

Neither Parkisons or MS start like that...

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
10-06-04, 16:40
hi, i have similar feeling and doctors not sure what it is yet, try not to worry as it will get worse and more exaggerated, love pril x

apriltones

Pam
10-06-04, 19:13
Thanks for those replies folks. Just knowing some of you know what I'm talking about and have the same feelings makes me feel a whole lot better.
I hope now I have come on to this site I can maybe help others with my experiences of overcoming panic as well.
Pam

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 19:55
Pam

We look forward to your help and input in curing us all ! It is aleays nice to hear how people got better.

Sorry about the pains and strange feelings but I think a few of us have had them so that shoudl reassure you yeah?

Nicola