PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-Urgent advice needed!

sarbr
05-12-12, 22:06
Hi all,

I'm 19 and have suffered from anxiety/depression for as long as I can remember. The only treatment I've had was CBT over the summer which I thought had helped until I started uni in September. Since then I've gone right back to where I started...nervous about leaving the flat, tired all the time from lack of sleep/constant worrying, foggy head that makes me unorganised and unable to concentrate. I haven't told anyone here about my anxiety and have been bottling it up for three months pretending to be happy and fine. Yesterday I had a meeting about my attendance where I finally broke down and told my tutor what had been going on. She was incredibly supportive and has referred me to the psychology department as well as filling out a mitigating circumstances form which means that I can't fail the year. This was a massive relief but it seems that since then I have actually felt about a thousand times worse. I think it's because I've finally admitted to myself how I've been feeling too!
I'm on here because I have a placement tomorrow which I started last Thursday at a hospital (I'm studying occupational therapy). The last time I came my educator told me that I wasn't using my initiative at all and slated me saying that I was too relaxed. It was actually that my anxiety had hit the roof causing me to lose all my common sense! Since then I've been dreading going back. I forgot to mention this to my tutor but tonight I'm such a mess because I'm so anxious about tomorrow. I know it's going to be horrible and every bit of me doesn't want to go. But then I feel like I'm letting myself down if I don't.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? Should I go or should I email my tutor and explain exactly how I'm feeling? Do you think she'' understand? She is a very supportive person and is actually trained in the mental health field so knows exactly about the effects of anxiety but I'm not sure if she'll just think I'm trying to push my luck!

I plan to go to the doctors as soon as I have the time and get some medication as a short term solution which I would do tomorrow if I had the day off. Please someone get back to me..thanks for taking the time to read this!

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

I broke down in a mock exam today too by the way (luckily it was a one to one so nobody else saw) but I'm just so scared that the same will happen tomorrow!

Pipkin
05-12-12, 22:24
Hi there,

Don't put yourself down - you're doing great, you really are. You've got so far, you've explained your situation to your tutor and you don't have to worry too much about the outcome of you first year.

If I were you, I would go to your placement tomorrow, no matter how hard feels in the morning. You'll be really pleased you did because then you'll know that you can get through it in future and that anxiety can't hold you back. An appointment with your GP is also a very good idea and is a step in the right direction.

You've chosen a great career and you've done so well to get on the course. If I got through it, I've no doubt that you can too.

Good luck and take care

Pip x

sarbr
05-12-12, 22:33
Thanks for you're reply. I know that I should go because I think that if I don't it will just make me feel guilty for missing it which will feed back into the anxiety! But I'm dreading it so much. The problem is, I know all the theory and am a genuinely caring person but then I have no confidence whatsoever so I can't put it into practice. I don't ever see myself succeeding and to every who doesn't know that I have anxiety I'm just really lazy and scatty. But actually just doing an assignment or going on placement takes so much more energy than it actually should. How do I ever get over this?!
CBT worked on the surface..I learnt all the strategies for coping with worries and thoughts which actually disappeared for a while. But then I still had such a foggy head and was still so tired all the time, which then made me start worrying again because the work had piled up and I was scared of failing. Now I'm right back to square one and I'm a mess!

My tutor advised medication as a short term solution but honestly I've always been sceptical/scared of it. If it's my thoughts/self esteem that's causing me to feel like this surely the only thing I can do is learn how to deal with them. But then CBT didn't work because it only scratched the surface of how I was feeling. What options do I have left??

Sarah x

Thumbelina
06-12-12, 02:49
Hi Sarbr,
You are doing great as despite the way you feel you are at uni studying, there are hundreds of thousands people without anx panic issues that have not got to uni.
The way you feel is part of your journey.
Also it is known that anx and panic issues are coommon uamong the people with above everage intellect
If you read posts on this site it will be such and eye opener for you...
Take care