PDA

View Full Version : Serious anxiety sending me to A&E

Cassius
06-12-12, 02:44
Hi guys, :)

I’m a serious mess right now.

I used to suffer from anxiety attacks as a teenager but with help managed to get over them.

I’m 30 now and a couple of weeks ago I took my girlfriend to see Skyfall (I’d already seen it) and half way through the film we had to leave because I was feeling unwell.

I had a cinema hotdog that gave me food poisoning – a very common occurrence apparently as they’re not a restaurant and don’t have the right food standards.

That night I went to A&E and initially they said it was an anxiety attack. My heart was pounding, I felt tingling in my hands and feet, so I’m sure that’s fair enough.

I’ve been pretty sick ever since, been home every day for 12 days, lost some weight and getting more and more exhausted each day. Everything I do makes me fear dying, triggering a new anxiety attack and sending me back into A&E.

I had diarrhea again at 10am this morning that had me fearing the food poisoning had returned and I’ve not been for ‘number 2’ since then (it’s 2.30am) and I now feel constipated, and I read up how constipation can be a symptom of heart attacks… So I’m worrying myself into an anxiety attack again.

The most ridiculous point is that other than that, I’m finally starting to feel a little better and yet since earlier this evening I’ve sought out new things to worry about.

My girlfriend has demonstrated the patience of a saint as she’s joined me in the hospital 4 times in the last 12 days often till early in the morning. She even took the entire week off work last week to take care of me, but they told her the next week that if she took any more time off it would have to be holiday or unpaid, which is fair enough.

I cannot keep doing this to my girlfriend. I’m sorry to ask and I’m sorry to be so neurotic, but I seriously could do with some encouragement guys.

I hope you’re all healthy, happy and having a great week! (and especially a better week than me)

Take care. ;)

Thumbelina
06-12-12, 03:05
I have jus lt took myself to ER last week as well because my anx stopped me from eating and diarhea got so bad i lost piles of weight and was dehydrated.
Its just becaus i drove myself to the state when i had to go to the hospital.
They did give me fluids iv, them i saw my doc and started medications again.
You feel like smth is wrong with you and it takes you to the hospital but try not to go next time you really feel like - and see what happens - not much - you will be fine, you will start eating slowly.
Anx is a vey tricky thing and goig to the ER frequently especially in the awkward hours is what many of us do, only to get reassurance.

panickyme
06-12-12, 03:30
Awww I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Sounds like anxiety is really getting to you at the moment. (try to remember, you have been to the hospital several times, and you have been checked. You are fine) (easier said then done I know, but really try) Anxiety is so scarey, and the more we feed the thought the worse it gets. Try to read all the good articles on the left, and read some post. (you will feel much better knowing you are not alone) Hugs to that girlfriend of yours for being such a trooper, it helps when you have support. Have you tried any counseling yet, or are you taking anything for your anxiety. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Cassius
06-12-12, 03:34
Thanks so much Thumbalina. * hug * I hope you're well and sorry to hear you also went into the ER last week. I also had fluids through IV every time I went but honestly, I was drinking so much water anyway that I really didn't need them.

I'm trying to stay strong. I'm now confused as to whether I have actually been ill or it's all been in my head, but I'm pretty sure I have actually been ill - my white cell count has been elevated in the blood tests and my potassium is low as my stomach tries to repair itself - but the anxiety has just made it all much worse.

Take care and sleep well wen you can! :)

Thanks so much Panickyme. * big hug * Yeah they did ECGs and checked my heart saying all was fine. My girlfriend did get a little stressed this evening as I started looking up 'Heart attack symptoms' and I told her I had all the symptoms. So we went for a walk to calm me down. I just truly hope I can get passed this and fit and well again. :)

Thanks again!

Cassius
06-12-12, 12:11
Hi again guys, :)

I had a seriously terrible night last night. I didn't sleep at all, frozen with fear and palpitations, obsessed that my heart was giving up on me.

In the morning my girlfriend put on some ocean sounds and left me to sleep for fours.

We ended up calling NHS direct to get some advice and they assured me that because my ECGs were normal, blood tests were normal, etc, I was okay and had nothing urgent, but that I should go into the doctor's surgery since I still have the diarrhea and couldn't sleep.

The doctors here in London just so... impossible. Everything is so slow and to get attention you really have to fight with them.

I'm going to try and get a bit of exercise today on my exercise bike here at home. As usual I'll keep you guys informed. * big hugs all around *

panickyme
06-12-12, 12:15
Hope you feel better soon. :)

Cassius
06-12-12, 13:38
Thanks Panickyme. * big hug *