PDA

View Full Version : Christmas anxiety!

sarahblonde32
06-12-12, 10:04
Hello,

How does everyone feel about xmas approaching? i personally dont really like xmas, its ok if you have kids etc but as a single girl it isnt really the hype that it is made out, just alot of expense!
we have a nice quiet day at my parents etc, but i just cant wait to get home to my flat and escape xmas!
then theres xmas shopping.....eugh...crowds. :weep:!
going shopping today.
wish me luck!!!

sarah

rubynoodles
06-12-12, 10:20
I'm so with you on this!

I have two little ones so I like to make it lovely for them and its so wonderful to see their little faces on the day but...............

As a child I adored christmas but since being an adult, each christmas I seem to get more and more anxious. For me its the force merriment we are expected to feel from the retail industry and its such a stressful time wondering if I've bought enough presents for everyone, will we have enough food in and then on the day inviting everyone round so they can see the kids etc (when really I's like nothing more than to crash out in front of the tv!)

Christmas is such a magical time for children but for me it just raises my anxiety levels 100%, my IBS is already starting to play up. I'm certain christmases years ago must have been so much more enjoyable when there wasnt so much pressure to buy and consume!!

sarahblonde32
08-12-12, 10:40
Yes i know, I dont have kids so i dont have that anxiety, but i feel a bit like i have SAD, the dreary days are getting me down, and the force to buy things for other people and th eforce to 'cheer up' its christmas!!!

Tessar
08-12-12, 14:11
Hi sarahblonde32 , as regards "How does everyone feel about xmas approaching?" .... to be perfectly honest, crap! I'm just like you about it - though I make an effort for my nieces, nephews, friends etc otherwise I 'suppose' I'd get labelled miserable. One year I'd just like to disappear for 6 weeks & forget about it... perhaps a whole load of us should just charter a plane & go somewhere warm, sunny, quiet & pleasant to chill out during winter.....
We went into town today for the "xmas shopping experience". As you say .....eugh!! The crowds were not as bad as I've seen but we were glad to get out of town by about 12.30. Hope you got on ok. I too suffer with SAD, so I know how you feel about the dreary days getting you down. This year I've been trying to remind myself that with the country in a poor economical state, maybe people want to cheer themselves up, but I still dont like the feeling of being obliged to join in. Mind you, if things are meant to be bad economically, perhaps we should be encouraged to spend less & be more thrifty.
rubynoodles - i know what you mean about forcing the merriment. Christmas is a magical time for children ... I dont have any but I try to remember what I liked about it when I was little & then see if I can help my nieces/nephews enjoy it the same. Indeed seeing children's faces when they are excited is pretty cool.
Unfortunatley Christmas reminds me of arguments, anger & fearfulness from my childhood & teenage years. Often it wasnt a pretty time. I'm trying hard to make it different this year & am cutting out from my seasonal holiday any contact with people who hurt or abused me when I was growing up. Hopefully I can build happier memories and then maybe look forward to Christmas next year & wipe out some of the dread.

Magic
08-12-12, 14:54
This is the time of the year again and I am fillled with anziety too.
Tessar, I can relate with you. I think in my younger years things that went on with
family--booze--rows --tears has stayed with me, still linger.
I wish i could cheer up Sarah:unsure:
Just bought some postage stamps £6 is a lot of money for 12 stamps, second class
no joke!!!

Caramel
08-12-12, 18:29
I hate it too - my agoraphobia just upsets everyone and people coming round freaks me out too! There's just too much pressure - you must be happy, you must enjoy Christmas blah, blah, blah!! AGhhhhhhhhh!!!! Wish I could get away from it too. x

Tessar
08-12-12, 19:36
Tessar, I can relate with you. I think in my younger years things that went on with family--booze--rows --tears has stayed with me, still linger.
I wish i could cheer up Sarah
Just bought some postage stamps £6 is a lot of money for 12 stamps, second class
no joke!!!

Magic, I keep having these "wow moments" when people write stuff that's word-for-word what I think or feel. Booze.... was a major factor in our house. My parents were teetotal; my father hated anything he called a 'drug' (even tea/coffee - so overboard!).
2 of my brothers started drinking at about 15 & got wasted often. I was so relieved when they left home but dreaded them coming back for Christmas. Year on year they upset the balance of the household; My mother got so angry, I tried to be help & look after her but just ended up getting yelled at which really upset me. She couldnt never see I was on her side & all I wanted was for us to be a happy family.
I dont like the idea that many people dread Christmas but reading everyones posts helps me see why it's such a hard time of year for me. At last I know why I sit there feeling miserable when others were having a good time.
Yeah Stamps are ridiculously expensive! Havent written my cards yet.....oooops, need to get on & do it

How to cheer up sarah, hmmmnn erm..... how about this picture on a SAD website, made me laugh....:roflmao:
http://drmichellecleere-com.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SAD.jpg (http://drmichellecleere-com.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SAD.jpg)

Magic
08-12-12, 20:54
Thats a good one Tessar:Dxx with hugs:hugs::hugs::hugs:

AuntieMoosie
08-12-12, 22:34
Yep!! this year I'm most definitely on the "bah humbug" step!! lol.....you can all join me if you want, I'll even provide tea and biscuits, chocolate one's of course :D...later we can have some more goodies:winks:

I'm well and truly expecting "the 3 ghosts" to visit me at midnight on Christmas Eve........never mind, it will be entertaining if it's nothing else:roflmao:

Seriously though, I've been going off Christmas more and more each year and this year I seem to have reached a peak!!!

I've given myself full permission to just not do it, it's a simple as that!!!

I will get up on Christmas morning, then I'll just see what I fancy doing, which will probably be a big fat nothing!!! There will only be me and my partner here, we're not going anywhere and we have no visitors coming:)

As I tell everyone, remember, it is just 24 little hours then it's all over with.

I don't really wish people a "Merry Christmas" cos I know there are millions of people who are going to be far from it, so I say I wish you a pleasant day whatever you decide to do:D:hugs:

Angelica
09-12-12, 03:41
I feel the same every Xmas its the same. I always feel depressed and have to pretend to be happy.. I hate it.. :( The older you get the worse it is.... I guess its because I don't have a family of my own and always feel left out and alone.. But its only one day and can't wait till the day goes...