PDA

View Full Version : Found a cure for my Panic and Anxiety! Seriously

shakey1961
06-12-12, 10:52
I have finally found the missing link to all my problems!

Cured eating a Victoria Sponge cake!

Now, that is perfectly true as you will come to see.

I have had panic and anxiety since I was 16yo, also having low blood sugar. After many years I found out that the low blood sugar (Hypoglycaemia or Hypos) was the cause of my anxiety and panic as when my blood sugar dropped the adrenal glands pump adrenaline into your blood stream to keep you conscious.

More I looked into this the more it fitted. But there was always the nagging question, the missing link - why does it drop as there's no diabetes in our family history?

Cue the Victoria sponge cake.

After all the baking programmes on TV I had the urge to do some baking again, as I used to bake when younger. So I buy all the ingredients, self raising flour eggs butter sugar etc etc and I make it. Success first time. So I have a slice, mmmm tasty, and a bit later another slice, then another, then another!

Next day, lets just say I was admiring the decoration in the bathroom a lot! Thankfully I wasn't being sick!

A few months previously I had Ryvita with egg sandwich filler very tasty also, but a few days later I had to once again rush to the bathroom.

Anyway, back to the days when I made the sponge cake. A friend asked me to make another sponge cake for some friends she had coming round. So I made one.

Had a small slice - 2 hours later guess where I was, in the bathroom!

Went to see my doctor. I asked him if it was the egg that could be making me go the toilet (ie the rye and egg sandwich filler that made me go). Unlikely he said, but try cutting out the wheat.

Hmmmmmmm I though. So I'd seen some wheat and gluten free flour in the health food shop. So I experimented with it and made the sponge cake again.

Had a small slice - 2 hours later guess where I was, sat in the living room NOT in the bathroom!!!

So I've cut out wheat and gluten! The doctor strongly suspects I have coeliac disease.

Since cutting it out of my diet I'm sooo relaxed, I have fewer hypos and they are a lot less severe. Wheat, Rye and Barley all contain gluten which in a person with coeliac disease the persons body attacks the lining of the gut. It is NOT an allergy it is an autoimmune disease. When the lining of the gut is attacked the Villi (little finger like "things" in the gut) become flattened. Once you have less of these villi you cannot take in enough nutrients. Come off the gluten and the villi return to normal after a period of time. Obviously when I was eating sugar I wasn't taking enough in and my insulin was driving my blood sugar down cos my blood didn't get the sugar it should have!!!

I believe it is an hereditary disease. Sadly my father passed away in 2003, but he had the same toilet problems,I had so I suspect he was a coeliac also. Also a cousin on the male side of my family has just been diagnosed with Coeliac disease.

I've not been tested for it properly yet, but it just so fits the missing link I've been looking for, for so long.

Coeliac disease can also cause breathlessness. Try searching for Coeliac link with anxiety or hypoglycaemia

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Introduction-to-diabetes/Other_associated_conditions/Coeliac_disease/What_are_the_symptoms_of_coeliac_disease/

Search out things, it may not be all in your head. I came to realise my problems came from my stomach.

I am so so so much better now. Hands are warmer, I don't gasp for air and I can do strenuous jobs without panicking or having a hypo!!!

Look into it and go see your doctor

Best wishes

Steve

Annie0904
06-12-12, 10:58
I had a gluten test at hospital and I am fine but I had other food intolerance tests which show I am intolerant to yeast, sunflower and sesame seeds, cumin and grapes. Yeast is the one I am most intolerant to but it is so difficult as it is in so many things and off cause sugar feeds it and I often crave sugar. I really need to try to cut it out more.

shomba
06-12-12, 10:58
Hi Steve,
I just had to say Im so happy you have found out what caused your problems! :) I hope it all goes up and up from here for you!

Jojo1603
06-12-12, 12:45
Hi there - I did a type of diet/detox not so long ago for about 3 months and I couldn't believe how good I felt - in as little as three days- all areas of my life improved the anxiety, lethargy, aches and pains in fact i felt shaky and unstable all the time - it just went away - had more energy more positive - altho I've never been tested I believe I hav a condition called candida - which amongst other things can be bought on by stress - accordingly to research most people who have adrenal burnout get candida! - glad yr feeling better and may it continue

shakey1961
06-12-12, 14:25
Hi Jojo. I also suffer with Candida, it makes my heart pound and feel like my skin is burning. I have garlic for that, it works wonders. But I still feel the hypo's candida and all the others things has a root cause in Coeliac disease.

Try cutting out wheat. it's not too difficult.

See your GP for a test. Anything's worth a try

eightieschild
11-12-12, 12:08
hiya ive had panic anxiety and agrophobia for 12 years and low blood sugar plays a big part in the panic symptoms for me aswell. when my sugar drop i feel woozy like im drunk, and light headed, blurred eyes then my adrenaline kicks in and i start shaking and sweating, its awful but doctors dont tend to belief the blood sugar issue because of my anxiety. im so pleased ive actually found some one with similar experience to me :) hope u r well becky x x