PDA

View Full Version : panic over burn and hot hand,infection.please help

shellyruby40
06-12-12, 13:51
hi all.
hope you have some advice for me.
have suffered for years with health anxiety.
on monday i burnt my hand and 3 fingers with boiling water from a saucepan..i held it under cool water for ages then after that cold compresses..the water hit both sides of hand and 3 fingers and was intensly throbbing all that night and the next day.very red but no blisters..yesterday the pain wasnt as bad but it still felt hot inside and seemed to still be radiating heat this yesterday and this morning..
i went to the drs this morning..she said the burn looks ok now just red but she said because she could feel a bit of warmth from it it might be a secondary infection inside[as there arent any blisters it looks like horrendous sunburn] and that she d give me some oral antibiotics. anyway i am allergic[or am i ]to most antibiotics..all the usual ones..they give me chest pain..im not sure whether this is true of all of them or whether it was panic at the time..she went through the list of antibiotics that im allergic too and was stumped..she then said see how it is and if you get a fever or it gets worse because i dont know what antibiotics i can give you,not a good thing for a health anxiety sufferer to hear..
she d said in theory the body should be able to fight off the infection[not convinced and knew would worry]

i came home earlier and worried and worried about it..i rang the surgery and the dr gave me a call back.id remembered an antibiotic id taken before called clindmycin that i was ok with a couple of years ago..[i remember with this one id been to casualty because i convinced myself i had some c diff problem with it as i had rotten diahorea with it which is a side effects..anyway i was absloutly fine with it /
she said yes we ll try clindamycin that will give you some cover with infection..that worried me as i wanted her to say yes that will sort out the secondary infection..you ll be cured etc..
she said secondary infection..does that mean tissue infection where the skin was burned as theres no blisters but she said heat radiating it usually indicates some sort of infection.ive googled a little and have scared myself rigid with storys of cellulitis etc and was to scared to ask her what sort of infection it could be..the burn itself is fine ,no blisters just 3 days later it still feels burny inside and is still red and just a bit swollen..the boiling pan seemed to first hit my palm then the other side of hand and 3 fingers..

so i am panicking like a man woman firstly because im worried ive got a cellulitis infection and that it will go into my blood stream..i keep checking my temperature like a crazy woman.
2ndly im scared of the heat of my hand after 3 days..it is warm compared to the other one as the dr felt that..but it isnt hot hot..but feels hot inside my palm.
3rdly im worried when dr said the clindamycin will give you some sort of cover against infection..why would i take it if it didnt work fully..
4thly am also worried about side effects with the clindamycin.
am literally worried about everything..
am comp;lety fixated on this now and cannot distract myself from it at all..
please can anyone give me advice or reassurances.am going crazy here.