PDA

View Full Version : Tongue Cancer, update from hospital visit today

Ddcoo
06-12-12, 15:22
''Hi all, for those of you that are following my progress, I went to meet the team who will be involved in my operation in 2 weeks time. I met 7 members of the team today, the surgeon, the radiologist, McMillan nurse, speech therapist, nutricianist and a nurse who asked if I would be involved in a trial, which I said I would and finally a remedial dentist. How lucky am I to have all these people working towards getting rid of my cancer.
The surgeon had good news for me today, the x-rays and MRI scan that I have had done shows no other sign of tumours, so all that I have to contend with that could be a negative, is whether the lymph nodes are affected and I won't know that until about 2 weeks after the operation.

So it is all systems go now, I will be going in on the 18th Dec and having the op the next day, providing there is an intensive care bed available, that is the only thing that could delay the op.

So thank you all for helping me along this troublesome road, you have all helped smooth the way.I will post again before I go in xx

ricardo
06-12-12, 15:26
Ddcoo

lovely to hear from you and I am sure I am not the only one who has been thinking of you.

You sound pretty upbeat and that is so good. Will be thinking of you xx

bottleblond
06-12-12, 15:27
Bless you hun! :hugs:

You sound like a very strong and positive person and I am sure that will
aid your recover. And of course we will all be routing for you.

Lisa
xx

nicola1980
06-12-12, 15:29
sending :hugs: stay positive hun :hugs: xxx

Wolfie
06-12-12, 15:33
Like the others have said - stay positive hun, you can do this :)

Annie0904
06-12-12, 15:53
sending lots of :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Ddcoo
06-12-12, 17:48
Thanks everyone, I am less worried now I know the scans are OK, all I have to do now is endure the 10 hour operation, but I won't know anything about that will I? The time I will panic I am sure is when I regain conciousness 2 to 3 days later, but the surgeon says they drift you in and out of awareness till they know you can handle it. As I will be in over Christmas I was wondering how they are going to put a turkey leg up the feeding tube in my nose LOL.

Annie0904
06-12-12, 18:01
You are so brave and still have your great sense of humour :) You will have to choose another day in the New Year to celebrate your Christmas. We had a second Christmas in March this year because my daughter was in New Zealand at Christmas.
That is right, you won't know anything about it and your pain relief will be managed well. You are a very strong lady. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Make sure you get your glass of Christmas wine up that feeding tube too :)

pollyanna
06-12-12, 21:46
i am wishing you all the very best for a quick and speedy recovery x

swgrl09
06-12-12, 23:33
wishing you the best :hugs:

dread
07-12-12, 00:04
Wishing you all the best and if you get that turkey and wine up there, you deffo have to go with the christmas pud too! We'll be here and waiting for your updates x

panickyme
07-12-12, 01:28
Wishing you the best, can't wait for this to be all over for you. We all will be waiting to hear from you. Sending you big hugs, :bighug1:

Eek
07-12-12, 03:00
sending you :bighug1: wishing you all the best for your op will be thinking of you. You sound so positive and brave it's an inspiration.

SamanthaAU
07-12-12, 04:12
Sending you big hugs - I hope the next few months fly by for you so you can focus on your recovery.

Thumbelina
07-12-12, 04:51
Wishing you the fastest recovery possible. Will be thinking of you.
Oooooooo

kirstynic
07-12-12, 06:50
Wishing you all the best you sound like a very strong lady xxx

rubynoodles
07-12-12, 10:04
Wishing you all the best and hope you have a very speedy and comfortable recovery:hugs:

ricardo
07-12-12, 10:46
Ddcoo

I have the solution for your Xmas. Over here Xmas is on January 6th (3 Kings Day) so you just can fly over here to the warmth with or without an aeroplane:)

lo89
07-12-12, 11:12
Sounds like good news to me! It is also really good that you are taking part in the trial to help other people who are in the same (or worse) situation as you. I know I would be comforted by this.
The operation will go fine, you won't even know what is going on beyond being taken to surgery, the fear of it will be worse than the actual even because as you say you will be unconscious.
I will be thinking of you xxx

Laura123
07-12-12, 12:49
Wishing you the very very best of luck with your journey, your state of mind is so important when recovering from cancer and by the sounds if it, yours will stand you in good sted, keep positive and I will keep a look out for your posts. Lots of love xxx

Ddcoo
07-12-12, 19:22
Hi all you wonderful supportive people out there, thank you, thank you all of you for continuing to send me messages, I am so grateful.
I agree the state of mind I am in when I go to surgery will be very important. My surgeon said yesterday that he wants my heart as calm as possible WELL NO CHANCE, I will be a wreck, the only thing I can do is try to be calm. Has anyone who has felt the same when going for an operation got any tips to give me? I would be so grateful.

Ricardo I think having Xmas on the 6th Jan is a good strategy, maybe then I will be able to suck on a brussel sprout.

Again many thanks to all my trusty pilgrims xx

Annie0904
07-12-12, 19:26
Oh No..miss out the brussel sprouts! :D
My son was so brave when he had his major op and had everyone on the ward laughing when they wheeled him out on the trolley. he just shouted out "Just off to the butchers...be back soon!" I wish I could be so brave xxx

Anxious_gal
17-12-12, 20:40
I've been for a few operations.
Yes I do be afraid but by the time I'm on the table, I get about one second to panic and I'm asleep!

I've had the gas and the injection.
I don't remember much about the injection but I was asleep right away.
With the gas, I felt like it was a bit funny to breathe, but I took 3 breaths of the gas and that was it :)

I always ask the nurse to hold my hand!

Waking up, well it's like being very tired.
I didn't feel drugged up just heavy and sleepy.
My anxiety did go up a little as I started to wake up more, but nothing I couldn't handle but they will give you medication for your anxiety if you need it.
If you're also on pain medication that can be enough to keep your feeling relaxed.

I was also in the ICU for a few days, I was heavily sedated the first two days.
I'd wake up long enough to use a bed pan or to take a drink of water.
I even fell asleep in the middle of having my X-ray :)
By the 3rd day I could stay awake for a bit longer,
I was also hooked up to the IV fluids so I had to pee a lot!

After a few days I was getting restless n went for walks around the hospital.
There's a shower/bath you can use and my mum helped me with that
But I'm sure nurses help out too and most of them are lovely :)

I would bring your mobile, baby wipes are handy, a dressing gown! I always use an oversized one for comfort, maybe slippers?
You won't really need to bring a whole lot with you.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

Oh No..miss out the brussel sprouts! :D
My son was so brave when he had his major op and had everyone on the ward laughing when they wheeled him out on the trolley. he just shouted out "Just off to the butchers...be back soon!" I wish I could be so brave xxx

Ha ha oh that's adorable :)