PDA

View Full Version : Should I go back to CBT?

KaeC26
06-12-12, 16:00
Hi.

I am 19 and have suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember. I went to CBT about 3 years ago but that was mostly for self esteem issues when I moved from high school to college and having problems with some learning difficulties in my last year at high school. I got a bit more confident and stopped going and was in a good place for a while. But when I started this new job or a bit before my anxiety got much worse (that was about 7 or 8 months ago) since then I have been nervous pretty much sometime every day. I have problems with my stomach and went to doctors who told me it was IBS. When I am nervous, which is like I sayed almost every day my IBS gets worse. I told the doctor about my anxiety and how I think it makes my IBS worse she just told me to go back and see the counceller so I was wondering do you think I should and what else could possibly help me. Is anyone in a similar situation as me that could give some helpful advice?? :hugs:

Laurenita
06-12-12, 16:06
Hello :)

I am 19 and I'm in the exact same position. I've been anxious for as long sa I can remember, but I thought it was normal. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 17, it would be worse during stressful periods. However, in August of this year it began to take over my life completely. I'm lucky as I've only experienced 2 panic attacks but some of the horrible thoughts I get are 10x worse than anything I've ever experienced.

I had CBT when I was 13 for the same issues, but it was completely different to what I'm getting now. I think it would really help you as they are working on completely different issues :) I've only had 2 sessions of CBT so far, and whilst I'm having an awful day today, both have really helped me. I have not yet started any techniques, but I am feeling better already.

xx

AIVILOESOR
06-12-12, 16:15
I think any CBT councellor could help you. I get IBS too and know some causes are foods and sometimes its anxiety. CBT has some good strategies, and there is also a good book on worry which might help, which I can't remember the name of !!! b*****!
but it was by a dutch author I think. I'll look when I get home...

KaeC26
06-12-12, 16:20
Hi :)

Yeah we are similar. I am going to talk to my sister tonight. She is a CBT therapist and see if any more would help and I will see someone else another time. My sister cant council me but she can give me tips which she has done in the past.

It is great that it is helping you :D

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Ok thanks Aiviloesor yeah some foods such as creamy pasta can make my IBS worse.