PDA

View Full Version : Ventolin/Salbutamol Inhaler for Asthma, and Anxiety

Pipkin
07-12-12, 07:21
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone else who has a Ventolin/Salbutamol inhaler for asthma notices that it increases anxiety? I have relatively mild asthma but I've had to take my inhaler a few times lately as I've had a bit of a cough and cold. About 5 minutes after taking it, I find my heart's racing and I get quite shaky. It is mentioned as a possible side effect but I've never really noticed it before.

I have a suspicion that it works in the opposite way to beta blockers and that's why asthmatics have to be very careful when taking beta blockers.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Pip

KaeC26
07-12-12, 10:04
Hi.

Yes I use ventolin inhalers. I have the blue and the brown. Whenever I have two of the blue ventolin at one time I start to shake and my breathing is increased. I thought that it was because I had too much of it and my body didnt like it or something. I usually just have one puff but when my asthma is bad I have two. I sometimes but not always react to it in that way. My hands get shaky. I dont think it is anxiety but maybe if your asthma is bad you start to panic and have your inhaler they might react together.

Hope this helps you calm down a bit.

Kirsty :hugs:

Pipkin
07-12-12, 13:49
Many thanks for the reply. I think you're right - it's not anxiety but has the same symptoms which makes me anxious.

It lasts about 3 hours then wears off, as you'd expect.

Pip x