PDA

View Full Version : Found out we're having another baby and guess what.....IBS-like flare up

Dan21
07-12-12, 13:44
Hello.

I’m fairly sure that I’m suffering with IBS. It takes practically nothing to send me into an anxiety fuelled spiral so when I found out last week that we are experiencing our second child, I should be able to recognise that the abdominal cramping, bloating and achey/occasional spikey discomfort in my gut is almost certainly anxiety/IBS related. But, my health anxiety is going haywire thinking it’s bowel cancer or some other awful reason.

I’ve no ‘red flag’ symptoms at all and I’ve had similar episodes of this kind of digestion problems. So why can’t I get my head around the fact that this will be the same issue? Don’t get me wrong, I’m overjoyed at the idea of another child, however there is some evidence it ‘might’ be twins. Even trying to objectively consider that something like this could trigger an anxiety related tummy problem, there’s just something inside me that won’t let me believe it’s almost certainly something stress triggered and instead a serious condition.

It’s odd really as I’m not exactly in pain, just an ongoing real discomfort that comes and goes. My stomach muscles seems to be really sore too but I think this might be to do with my posture changing due to the IBS-like symptoms. Doesn’t disturb my sleep and no weight loss or any other danger sign. I think I might go to the docs next week and see what they say but I don’t want to be saddled with any meds. Just hope I can shake this off soon.

Sparkle1984
07-12-12, 23:11
Congratulations on your baby. :)

I think it's a good idea to go to the doctor's if that will put your mind at rest. If it is IBS then they will be able to help you. One of my friends has IBS and she is on Mebeverine (if I recall correctly). However there are still certain foods she has to avoid - often when we go out together she worries about what food to order as she doesn't want anything that could upset her stomach.

Laura1989
08-12-12, 08:08
Congratulations on your baby!

Deffo go and see your Doctor, like sparkle says, there could be some foods that set off your IBS, and your doctor might be able to help you pinpoint if there is anything.
I use Buscapan (you can get it prescribed or buy from boots/superdrug) and that does help to ease the symptoms and stop my tummy sounding like a volcano about to erupt!

honeyp1e
08-12-12, 16:03
Hi congratulations on your baby :)

Think am having a flare up right now was all bloated yesterday an couldn't go look but woke from 4am non stop burping and trumping big loud ones and still going now just not as bad as this morning. More discomfort just by hips on both sides was just below ribs earlier on and pressure feeling in bum :( just wish it wud stop as my mind is over thinking

Dan21
08-12-12, 19:02
Thanks for the congratulations all.

At the moment, it feels like my digestive system is about to explode! I've had a pretty stressful day at work and I've got all the usual cramps, twinges and bloaty aches. My anxiety is trying to tell me it's something deadly but I'm doing my best to fight it off. There have been times today when I've hardly noticed it...when I've been walking around and busy but when I stop, it tends to get worse. I'm thinking that if it was something more serious, that probably wouldn't happen??

Going to make a docs appointment on Monday to see if he can reassure. I'm worried that I could get referred for a colonoscopy, which I'd rather not have. I hope the doc can more or less diagnose without that, especially as I'm not having any of the 'red flag' symptoms....

honeyp1e
12-12-12, 00:48
Am the same kind mind thinking all kinds not that I have constipation but something major :( in the past 4days I've had 5/6 tiny rabbit poo's (sorry) so I should tell myself it is constipation etc but still anxiety won't just shut up