PDA

View Full Version : Does any other emetophobe get angry whenever someone is sick?

Rls1994
07-12-12, 18:50
Or is it just me? I feel incredibly selfish because of it, and I dislike myself. To be honest, if it's travel sickness or sickness caused by alcohol, I don't get angry. It's only if someone has the Norovirus, which is contagious but preventable. I just think 'Well since it's preventable, you should have been more careful!' etc.

I'm not a short tempered person at all, but when it comes to this - yes I am.

UGH, I feel immature and crazy. :doh:

Anyways, is it just me or do some of you feel the same too? I'm awfully curious!

samprice333
07-12-12, 21:36
I am also an emetophobe, and have been for 17 years. I too get very very angry with people that say they feel sick, regardless of why. In my head I think they have been stupid to get themselves into that situation. Somebody was choking at the cinema once and instead of concern for them, I just felt anger 'why didnt you chew your food!!' its very frustrating.. and i dont understand why my brain sends these messages. Does anybody have the cure??

Rls1994
07-12-12, 22:44
I feel the EXACT same Sam. I'm glad I am not the only one who gets angry when others feel sick/are sick.

I'm going to be having CBT soon and see how it goes. Have you tried getting any therapy for your emetophobia?

samprice333
07-12-12, 22:52
Ive tried antidepressant (Flueoxtine) beta blockers (propanolol) hypnotherapy (two different courses costing over £700) st johns wort, relaxation CDs, meditation, councilling, reading a million self help books... I think thats it.. Nothing has helped so far. It stems from a need to control, and the fact i had OCD pretty bad as a teenager didnt help. But nobody seems to have an answer. I am unable to get CBT through my doctors, and cannot afford to pay privately. I have a friend who used CBT and saw a big improvement! I have my fingers crossed for you! Let me know how it goes :) What have you tried? xx

Angelai
07-12-12, 23:00
Oh, yes - I get VERY angry - even it's on the tv!

samprice333 - why can't you get cbt through your doctor? There is a code of practice they have to follow, if yours isn't doing that you need a new one x

samprice333
07-12-12, 23:25
My doctors just don't have it available in the area I live in. Have asked about it a few times and they say it just isn't an option.

Rls1994
08-12-12, 18:27
Thank you! I will definitely make sure to let you know when I've had my first session. Well, I've only tried anti-depressants for my anxiety/depression but that's about it. But I had to come off them as I was experiencing awful side effects.

Anxious_gal
08-12-12, 18:49
I don't have your phobia but I just wanted to say I think the anger comes from the fear, you're angry because you feel afraid.

I can get that way too with my own anxiety.