PDA

View Full Version : propranolol and st johns wortt?

RobbieNashh
08-12-12, 13:00
can you take these two together? im on 10mg propranolol twice a day and they never seem to work so my mother got me some st johns wort, im just scared of the outcome if i do and what other peoples opinions on the matter, im scared to leave my own home, i just want a normal life again.., they also make me feel dizzy alot too

Magic
08-12-12, 15:00
Robbie,
could you give the healthshop a ring and ask if it's safe to take?or
perhaps look it up on the internet. I do know that with certain drugs St Johns wort
is not suitable. I don't know if anyone else on here knows

RobbieNashh
08-12-12, 15:02
Robbie,
could you give the healthshop a ring and ask if it's safe to take?or
perhaps look it up on the internet. I do know that with certain drugs St Johns wort
is not suitable. I don't know if anyone else on here knows

they didnt know when my mother asked and ive looked online and found nothing, its why i created an account and asked here

nomorepanic
08-12-12, 15:14
I did a quick google and there are loads of posts about it on the net.

Found this one:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/propranolol.html

I would say ask your doctor to be safe

RobbieNashh
08-12-12, 15:27
i have a doctors appointment on tuesday, the propanolol do nothing, i still have cold sweats, chest pain and trouble sleeping, just want something that helps and gives me my normal life back

Annie0904
08-12-12, 15:42
It is okay to take propanolol and st john's wort But if you are taking St John's Wort there are some foods high in tyramine you should avoid. Foods that are high in tyramine include: air dried meats, aged or fermented meats, sausage or salami, pickled herring, and any spoiled or improperly stored beef, poultry, fish, or liver, red wine, beer from a tap, beer that has not been pasteurize, aged cheeses, including blue, brick, brie, cheddar, parmesan, romano, and swiss, sauerkraut, over the counter supplements or cough and cold medicines that contain tyramine, soy beans, soy sauce, tofu, miso soup, bean curd, fava beans, or yeast extracts (such as Marmite). Caffeine intake should be limited as well.
Hope this helps.

RobbieNashh
08-12-12, 16:11
It is okay to take propanolol and st john's wort But if you are taking St John's Wort there are some foods high in tyramine you should avoid. Foods that are high in tyramine include: air dried meats, aged or fermented meats, sausage or salami, pickled herring, and any spoiled or improperly stored beef, poultry, fish, or liver, red wine, beer from a tap, beer that has not been pasteurize, aged cheeses, including blue, brick, brie, cheddar, parmesan, romano, and swiss, sauerkraut, over the counter supplements or cough and cold medicines that contain tyramine, soy beans, soy sauce, tofu, miso soup, bean curd, fava beans, or yeast extracts (such as Marmite). Caffeine intake should be limited as well.
Hope this helps.
thank you for the info it means alot, will i have any side effects off it? i will i be fine, i just want to try them and see if they work or not

Annie0904
08-12-12, 16:28
It is difficult to say if you will have side effects or not as different people react differently to different medications. The most common side effects are symptoms affecting your stomach and digestion such as feeling sick, being sick, diarrhea
headache
allergic reactions
feeling tired
dizziness
confusion.
but this doesn't mean you will get them, hopefully you won't.