PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone got Flashes of light while sleeping?

JustBenn
08-12-12, 14:13
I have been experiencing this for a few days now, either when i'm just closing my eyes or awoken by a bright flash?

Is there anything wrong with me, or should I be worried,

I spend 5-6 hours infront of the laptop, nearly everyday, or even more on weekends, the the last 5 years,

At night, when I move my eyes around, after switching of the laptop, I see flickers of flashes,

joebloggs
08-12-12, 14:55
Hi. OCD. Very common symptom and nothing to worry about. If it does worry you go to your opticians or your GP. Reassurance is helpful. The eye muscles can be affected by anxiety. They are very delicate and tenseness can alter the lens and other parts of the eye and make them give off, what appears to be, electrical flashes. Had them for some years; take no notice now!!. All the best. joe.

cattia
08-12-12, 15:00
Yes this happens to me. I went through a stage where I got it loads, then it went away then Tue other night I got it again. I don't know what causes it but I have had it on and off for a long time.

JustBenn
08-12-12, 15:05
Yes this happens to me. I went through a stage where I got it loads, then it went away then Tue other night I got it again. I don't know what causes it but I have had it on and off for a long time.

As a matter of fact, I had a bump to the head 3 weeks ago, I bent down to pick something up off the floor, didn't relies I was soo close to the wall and banged my head as I went bending down,
and there was pain on the front, the week after,
then the flashes a week after,

I hope its not connected to this from the impact my head suffered, :scared15:
Soo scared

Anxious_gal
08-12-12, 18:55
I do!
I'm not sure what it is, but it's very annoying when I'm trying to sleep.
It's funny I never really thought about it :)
Please don't worry it's normal to see, hear and get strange sensations when going to sleep or waking up.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Nah the bump was a few days ago? You'll be fine x

JustBenn
08-12-12, 23:46
I do!
I'm not sure what it is, but it's very annoying when I'm trying to sleep.
It's funny I never really thought about it :)
Please don't worry it's normal to see, hear and get strange sensations when going to sleep or waking up.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Nah the bump was a few days ago? You'll be fine x

thanks everyone, i'm just off to bed now, quite scared about sleeping tonight, so i'm going to listen to my music while I drift off, and hopefully, I wont get this today, :scared15::doh:

StarryBlueGal
09-12-12, 01:59
Yes I get this a lot and had this for years. Nothing wrong, it is normal. But when I have flashes when I close my eyes, it always make me jump!!! I don't know what causes it but I also have shooting stars travelling around my eyes a lot. I don't know if it is connected to anxiety or something else.

StarryBlueGal xx

JustBenn
12-12-12, 15:05
Yes I get this a lot and had this for years. Nothing wrong, it is normal. But when I have flashes when I close my eyes, it always make me jump!!! I don't know what causes it but I also have shooting stars travelling around my eyes a lot. I don't know if it is connected to anxiety or something else.

StarryBlueGal xx

I had a very bad night last night, I was sleeping and there were fast flickering flashes in my eyes, which woke me up, and every time I thought I was about to have a seizure I would wake up,
One of the times last night, I woke up and was confused, I didnt know where I was.
I'm not sure if It was a seizure,

I'm so frightened!

I understand 1 or 2 days, but they are getting more regular,

JustBenn
05-03-14, 01:57
Still worried about this, This problem still happens every night,

I'v been to the Boots opticians and they didnt find anything wrong!
So I left it for a year, thinking of going to the GP to actually find out what is wrong!

I'm so worried its a Seizure but then I had this problem since 2012, if it was a seizure symptom, Do you think it would it have happen by now?

RoseEve
05-03-14, 02:30
I get this too lately when I close my eyes. I think it's my phone flashing with a text message but it's not.

Worrier13
05-03-14, 02:31
It would definitly happened by now! It's just anxiety, I have had it for about 2 years now. Every night, even when I'm not anxious at all. I know now that it's nothing to worry about but it does disturb my sleep a little :/

JustBenn
05-03-14, 02:56
I get this too lately when I close my eyes. I think it's my phone flashing with a text message but it's not.

Do you find it annoying or Scarey? I do, I sometimes think someone switched the bedroom light on, so when I open my eyes, its pitch black, is yours quick like lightening? :)

It would definitly happened by now! It's just anxiety, I have had it for about 2 years now. Every night, even when I'm not anxious at all. I know now that it's nothing to worry about but it does disturb my sleep a little :/

Phew, Seizure is one less thing to worry about, that's one of my main fears, Epilepsy, Are you used to it now? I hope I stop worrying now! :)

hanshan
05-03-14, 05:40
Here's a link to floaters and flashes:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/flashesandfloaters/ot089103.pdf

I think flashes can also occur as the brain changes gears as it were when you are falling asleep. Particularly, when I was stressed and falling asleep, I would often get electric shock-like sensations, often with a flash of light and a twanging sound. Totally harmless, however.

These kinds of visual disturbance are common and usually not an indication of anything serious. However, there's nothing wrong with having your eyes checked every few years, particularly if you are getting into middle age.

JustBenn
05-03-14, 17:40
Here's a link to floaters and flashes:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/flashesandfloaters/ot089103.pdf

I think flashes can also occur as the brain changes gears as it were when you are falling asleep. Particularly, when I was stressed and falling asleep, I would often get electric shock-like sensations, often with a flash of light and a twanging sound. Totally harmless, however.

These kinds of visual disturbance are common and usually not an indication of anything serious. However, there's nothing wrong with having your eyes checked every few years, particularly if you are getting into middle age.

Thanks for the link, will check it out, I am infact 20 years old, and all my friends that I talked to about this don't seem to have this problem.

Worriedwellornot
05-03-14, 19:21
I get this as a blue light in the corner of my eyes. Went to my optician and he reassured me.

thekinginthenorth
06-03-14, 06:43
I'm 100% sure that anxiety causes this, I've seen plenty of people here with the same symptoms.

Dexterjames
06-03-14, 12:40
I'm 100% sure that anxiety causes this, I've seen plenty of people here with the same symptoms.
I get it,if i go to bed in the dark room then come out at night for a toilet where the lights are on when i go back to bed and close my eyes it flashes for 5mins then goes does this regular 2 or 3 times a week.