PDA

View Full Version : going to the gym

KaylaSoares
08-12-12, 22:11
hey guys, I've recently joined a gym because I am aiming to get fit both mentally and physically. however when I do exercise it brings on awful symptoms like heart palpitations, shaking, feeling weak and faint. then I start to panic thinking that my heart is going to stop or something. are these symptoms normal for someone who has just started working out and usto be a couch potato? I'm going to my gp in about a month to check up on my medication, and I'm going to ask him about it,just wanted to know u guys' opinions.

:yesyes:

Mark13
08-12-12, 22:30
I would certainly think so. Any exercise that your not used to would bring about those symptoms.

When I started getting fitter (after giving up smoking and drinking) I walked up a small hill (about 1400 feet) and nearly passed out. My head has never spun so much. I felt sick too.

I took on too much too fast and to be fair it was a hot day.

Now I can walk up hills and mountains like it's a trip to the shops. I built up my fitness over time as you will, in fact my fitness grew quickly, even though I'm 4 stone overweight I have great stamina from all the exercise (averaging 40 miles a week at the moment, while I'm off sick, as I heard that fresh air and especially exercise is of great benefit).

I'm no good in a gym, I like to be out in the open air, but each to their own :)

In fact last time I went to a gym I lasted 5 minutes on the bike before my legs turned to jelly and my head swam. I have an exercise bike at home that I used when I had an achilles injury and couldn't walk - even now I'm fitter, 10 minutes on that feels like a 5 mile walk, so gym equipment is pretty intense.

Take it steady, build up slowly and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mark

Magic
08-12-12, 22:34
Kayla,
Is there an instructer at the gym who can moniter you?

Annie0904
08-12-12, 22:40
hey guys, I've recently joined a gym because I am aiming to get fit both mentally and physically. however when I do exercise it brings on awful symptoms like heart palpitations, shaking, feeling weak and faint. then I start to panic thinking that my heart is going to stop or something. are these symptoms normal for someone who has just started working out and usto be a couch potato? I'm going to my gp in about a month to check up on my medication, and I'm going to ask him about it,just wanted to know u guys' opinions.

:yesyes:

I would say these symptoms are normal for someone who has not exercised very much. You need to build it up gradually. We had a free gym bus in the village for a while and I went to it. I struggled to last 2 minutes on the cross trainer :D Drink plenty of water while you are at the gym also.

Kyeee
09-12-12, 01:28
Completely normal! :)

I remember when I first went to the gym about a year ago, me and my mate both went at the same time. I'm not exactly unfit, but he's a lot fitter than me. We went on the rowing machines, and because I wanted to feel manly and strong, I actually kept up with him. After 30 minutes, he got up and went on something else, while I went back in the changing rooms, about passed out, and then threw up. :roflmao:

Just gradually build up, and you'll really notice a difference. :)

KaylaSoares
09-12-12, 13:14
Thank you guys, u put my mind at ease. Hey magic yes there is someone who can monitor me, but im just to embarrassed to ask.