PDA

View Full Version : BOOK REVIEW!

pips
10-06-04, 12:32
Hi all,[8D]

I just wanted to share this with you! When I have the slightest health sympton. I often worry and think of the worst thing possible![V] I believe this to be a trait for most anxiety sufferers! The trouble is you can end up convincing yourself its something worse which can make you more tearful and panic more!:( well it does me anyway!

I have just bought this book from www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/157224285X/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-0469269-6842838 (This will take you straight to the book on the website!) called:
STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR HEALTH - HOW TO QUIT OBSESSING ABOUT SYMPTONS AND FEEL BETTER NOW - BY DR GEORGE ZGOURIDES, PSY.D.[:I]
I have not read the book cover to cover as yet but what I have read so far makes alot of sense!;)

Anyway from the back cover it reads:

Put an end to preoccupying thoughts about illness.
Feel at ease with everyday physical symptons.
Identify and heal the causes of your worry.

Everyone has felt the need to scratch when a friend reveals a rash, but for some of us, unfounded concerns about potential illness can take over our lives. If you are one of the millions of people plagued by irrational thoughts about minor physical symptons, and remain certain that there is something wrong with you despite a doctor's repeated assurances to the contrary, then you know what it is to live with health anxiety.

In this first ever self-help guide for people who are excessively concerned abouth their health, mind-body phychologist George D. Zgourides offers effective, step-by-step strategies for countering illness obsession. Learn to identify and treat the underlying causes of worry, counteract irrational self-talk about minor, everyday physical symptons, and accept and finally redefine your experience of aches and pains-for good.

The contents are as follows:

Acknowledgments/Introduction

Chp 1) Do You Have A Health Anxiety Syndrome [?]

Chp 2) The Power Of Mind-Body Psychology [^]

Chp 3) Helping Yourself With Cognitive Behavioral Therapy[^]

Chp 4) Rethinking Away your Health Worries[^]

Chp 5) Medical And Behavioral Approaches to Health Anxiety Syndrome[^]

Chp 6) The Role Of Family, Friends, and Support Groups[^]

Chp 7) Future Directions[^]

A Final Word

Resourses

For Futher Reading

References.

Sorry to have waffled lot's[|)] you never know I might be super fit by the time I come to the last chapter LOL![:0] I could become Super Pip's!:D Hmmm going a bit to far now I think![:p]

Anyway all hope I haven't bored you to much![xx(]

Take good care [:I]

Love PIP'S [:X] XX

Meg
10-06-04, 16:38
Great Pips - let us know how it does for you ...

Thank you for sharing

Meg

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
10-06-04, 16:50
hey Pips,

Thanks for letting us know!! I will definetly look into it.
Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

nomorepanic
10-06-04, 20:00
Pips

I will add a link to my website links page. If anyone buys the book from my site then the proceeds I get go towards funding the chat room and this site.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Nicola

pips
11-06-04, 00:44
Thanks Meg,Sarah & Nic,

Lets hope the book lives up to it's title LOL!

Take care all

Love Pip's XX

sadie
16-06-04, 21:25
Pips,

Hows the book going? I was thinking of buying it as I definetly have a health phobia or illness obsession.

sadie

pips
23-06-04, 13:21
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for message sorry wanted to read a bit more of the book before I replied to you!

Well I'm still in the process of reading it. I can recommend it though. The book does make alot of sense. It covers all ranges of health anxiety. It also gives you a test to see to what degree you worry about your health. There are lots of practical pointers through out the book giving useful tips. Plus there are other exercises/tasks that you might find useful that you can do if you wish! It also applies CBT training to help you to rethink away your health worries.

All in all it makes foe a helpful and interesting read!

I hope this helps.

Take care & I hope you are well.

Pip's XX

sadie
23-06-04, 21:26
Hi Pips,

Thanks for letting me know, I decided to buy anyway, it cant do any harm and hopefully some good.

Take care

sadie

pips
24-06-04, 12:30
That's Good Sadie,

Good luck with the book! I hope you find it helps.

Take care

PIP'S XX