PDA

View Full Version : FW: Food Issues

Sue K with 5
22-08-06, 23:26
ok now this might be just me, but i have issues with food. and this is going to sound absolultely crazy and i hate even talking about it so to post it feels even weirder.

I have a fear of food and eating. which is supposedly down to my generalised fear for my health and i am trying so hard lately to put it to the test.

Today I was eating fig rolls, now dont laugh but i took a bite out of one and put it down back into the packet, when i went to go back to it my head was telling me not to eat it and if i did i would be very ill or something bad would happen if i put it in my mouth, not this happens to me a lot with food, be it in doors or outside but it is worse outside.

I decided to fight the fear today and i ate the bloody thing, i decided my head was talking crap and it was fine. Well 6 hours later I am sitting here typing this so i proved my head wrong i suppose.

Can anyone else relate to this issue or something similar, I would have posted about this a long time ago but i felt such a pratt.

Sue with 5 ( I love fig rolls)

scknight

nomorepanic
22-08-06, 23:38
Sue

I used to have a phobia of nuts and having a reaction and it has reared its head again recently cos of something that happened.

There is a really old post that I replied to at the time ...

Food and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154)

Anyway I still have a phobia of nuts but do still eat them!

A guy at work never had an allergy then developed ones to brazil nuts at work and ended up in hospital. He was fine but the reaction was a new one to him and came on suddenly.

Now I worry I will be the same and was eating nuts the other day and thought what if I develop a reaction too!

Silly I know but does worry me too so you are not alone.

Nicola

lainey
23-08-06, 00:10
Well done Sue for eating it in the end, you have proved yourself wrong and you are ok.
Ilike Nicola occassionally get a phobia about nuts as well, all part and parcel of anxiety !!!!!
Keep being positive chuck, you are on the right track

Take care

Elaine x

P.S. Don't feel a prat we are all in this together

susie
23-08-06, 09:36
well done , your not daft or crazy this bothers you and we are all here to help and support eachother. go on put the kettle on and eat some more fig rolls send me one while your at it i love them be strong think to your self its only a bicuit and its all mine hope this helps chin up and keep eating suexx:)

polly daydream
23-08-06, 11:11
Hi Sue, sorry but that did make me laugh, it was the way you said it. Well done anyway, we mustn't let this gremlin beat us. Eat loads of the bloody things.

Take care,

Polly x

manmoor
23-08-06, 11:55
Hey Sue,

God help that poor fig roll. I bet it got some abuse before you swallowed it lol. On a more serious note tho food phobias are so common nowadays and well done you for eating it.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Piglet
23-08-06, 12:43
I have a reaction to Pringles - they make me fat!!!!!

We all have our funny little ways hun - I think it stems from listening to daft poems like 'don't step on the crack or you'll fall and break your back'. We are always on guard for consequences or reactions arn't we!

I have the same thing with tablets as do loads of us on here and I can be like it over prawns too. Love eating them but with each new bag I stare at them for a while first and then stare at myself after eating them to see if there is any sign of impending doom!!!

I also used to cut chicken nuggets in half to make sure they were cooked through (each and everyone of them) - the kids always thought thats how they come, only coated on 3 sides!!!! Anyway enough of chicken nuggets, we stopped eating bought ones years ago after watching something on the telly.

So you see if you want to confess to unusual little phobias there's lots of us around to give you a run for your money (or is it just me [:I])!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Piglet xxxxxx

Lucy36
25-08-06, 17:00
hi sue

after reading your post i really had to say this..

i have a terrible fear of yogurts.. i used to love yogurts ages ago all different ones.. but i had this thing in my head that if i ate one i would panic and have this horrible anxiety feeling and guess what i did..

so dont feel stupid about certain foods.. coz im the same with yogurts i dont touch them at all now..

take care su
lucy x

phoebegirl
01-09-06, 21:39
Hi

I have the same problems with food. Sometimes I'll even spit mouthfuls out because I'm convinced that just a certain bit of what I'm eating will make me ill. I have recently gone veggie again too so I have less risk of food poisoning. I know its just part of being anxious and feeling negative but the thought of being ill, especially in front of people if I am eating out, is horrid. I'm terrible with food, its one of my biggest fears. I carry an epipen around because I'm allergic to apples.

phoebegirl

phoenix
07-11-06, 16:12
not to sound pleased that you have this problem... but its so nice to know im not the only one!!! my story is very similar to others posted here, i check dates on food, check things are sealed properly - one memorable time i was checking to see if a pint of milk at work was sealed properly, holding it upside down, stupid i know, and ever stupider, squeezing the plastic bottle! needless to say the seal, which had been intact couldnt deal with such checks, and everything got covered in milk! i wash cultery etc before use, and have recently had to wash my hands before touching any food, including between getting something out of the fridge and eating it! - damn the possibilities of bacterial nasties on the door handle! i used to love the probiotic yoghurt drinks, as i held fast to the belief they would be some additional protection against food poisoning - now i dont get them as im never satisfied they are sealed properly, or have been refrigeraterd correctly, or that something may have got in the little bottles in the first place!!! i struggle to eat or drink anything that has been left unattended, im often seen carrying plates of food around with me when im looking for something else, coz i wouldnt eat it if id left it and come back.
from CBT before all ican suggest is leaving food for a little while, then eating, and monitoring how anxious about it you really are, tho as you can tell from my current condition, you have to keep going at the attempts. i stopped for a while, and look at me now! :D

darkangel
07-11-06, 17:42
HI Sue

I thought i was the only one with a food issue - i analyse EVERYTHING - check dates - check ingredients, wait for some reaction. Spend ages making food then cram it down as quickly as possible. hence bad indigestion and throat problems.
Ive got an appointment with a new psychiatrist on thursday to "nip this in the bud" as my kind GP put it!

Take care and you are not the only one.

Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

phoenix
09-11-06, 11:00
dark angel, hope your new psychiatrist was helpful, some are much better than others!

Vix xxx[^]

Lyndsey
10-11-06, 13:53
I can say I relate to this SOOOO much! I work at a jail making food for the imates. Well I work with two inmates myself, she is always cooking and making food for me to eat, my head messes with me telling me that she poisoned it and I believe it. There was this one time I ate her food then these thoughts came what if she poisoned it then I worked myself into a panic attack. Its horrible! I cant even go out to eat because my mind tells me that they did something to it. It really sucks!

I am so glad to have someone to talk to who goes through the same thigns I do.