PDA

View Full Version : Doctor has made me feel worse not better

chl_hobbs
10-12-12, 13:20
Hi all,
Well I went to see the GP (not my usual one...apparently he had no appointments). I explained that Ive been having chest pains since Friday, which started on my right side of my chest around my breast area and in my upper back, like a piercing pain which lasts for minutes. It's moved since, around my chest and today is in the middle, but it HAS also been in my left side of my chest. But it's always in my upper back and shoulder blade area. Ive also been getting palpitations (I get them a lot anyway), and my chest has felt a bit 'tight'. Ive been burping SO much constantly through the day, but it gives no relief and almost feels like its coming from the middle of my throat, not my tummy. Today I feel like my diapraghm is pushing up against my chest.

The GP knows me from my anxiety related appointments with him, where I end up crying half the time. Today though I was calm and listed my problems.

He had almost made up his mind before even examining me, almost smirking when I said I didnt think it was anxiety related - it's MAKING me anxious, but then again I have been v.stressed recently.

He listened to my chest for about half a minute, then tapped on my tummy very lightly then that was it... NO BP, no checking of pulse etc...

He asked me what I thought it was. I said a PE, or heart related. He ignored the PE comment and said 'It isnt your heart as you have no risk factors, and it would feel tight and you'd pass out'. I said that it does feel tight and he shook his head.

He said that as it's stabbing sharp pains, then it's almost certainly muscular. I asked why I'd be burping ALL the time if it was muscular and he didnt answer my question.

I suppose the pains could be muscular, but I dont feel very secure in what he's said, and I cant ring again as the surgery is closed this afternoon and you get a nurse ring back anyway who always fobs you off/tries to diagnose you over the phone.

Does anyone have any experience in these sort of pains?
A summary:
- Chest pains started on Friday right side - sharp. Moved to left now mostly central.
- Upper back very painful and sharp pains
- a bit Tight across centre
- Burping constantly for a week
- the odd palpitations
- diaphragm area feels like its pushing up
- pains in arm (right)
- Not waking me up, not that out of breath...

Please if anyone has any info I'd be so grateful

Charlotte x

swgrl09
10-12-12, 13:27
I have almost all of those symptoms and for me, they are muscular. My shoulders and neck get very tense easily, and basically bc everything is connected, those muscle spasms can spread to your arms and chest ... for me even my abdomen sometimes when bad enough. I do get sharp pains in the same areas as you, and it was hard to get used to at first but now I can ignore them when it happens.

As for the burping, I would not be surprised if it was unrelated.

Em84
10-12-12, 16:53
Yeah i just moved to scotland and visited my new doctor here...went in and mentioned all my symtoms...i didnt say anything about my anxiety at first to see what she would say lol
Then i forget its prob all on screen,....
Didnt really get anywhere as per.....
xxx

chl_hobbs
10-12-12, 19:06
Well Ive stupidly been on google again, and it seems I have ... angina or a heart attack. Now am worrying so much :( Im only 29 but have had so much health anxiety since a minor operation on my womb went very wrong last year, that in my head... it's very possible that's what it'll be :( x

almamatters
10-12-12, 19:10
Chest pain like this can be muscular, I had a similar thing and went to physio who said my posture was terrible and was all contributing to my pain.

Em84. your post made me laugh, as I always forget it is on the screen I have HA when I see a new doctor and I sit and try and make them believe I am the calmest patient on earth LOL
No wonder they just sit and look at me strange sometimes!

Em84
10-12-12, 19:15
lol alma...
I know, i proper sat and thought what i was going to say in my head and when i went in was calm as anything.....
She did say have you had any medication for anything pmsl...told her all of them and that was that
*sighs*
Charl....im sure you'll be ok hun...im having a rotton 24 hours with this anxiety...im sitting here now in bits as last night was the worst in a long time and now the vicious circle starts again...
All becuase i was looking on google about ways to put on weight then this anorexia video link came up for youtube...watched it and theres my night gone...
curiosity is bad for us HA peeps....

Mark13
10-12-12, 19:38
Charlotte

I've had very similar symptoms (burning and stabbing paiins, left chest area / underarm and back). Also been burping when pain was worst.

Saw the Doc today (not my usual...sound familiar :)) he listed to my heart and chest, although he did my BP too.

He reckoned it was either muscular pains due to anxiety, or a acid reflux type of problem. He gave me a prescription for some stomach acid reducing capsules, lansoprazole, never had them before but will give them a try.

I'm sure, like mine, if your GP was at all concerned he would have arranged an ECG (we have them done at the practice now).

Mark

shanna
12-12-12, 17:06
I have had the same symptoms as yourself. I am no doctor but mines was acid reflux. I had severe chest pain with it.