PDA

View Full Version : Yet another pregabalin diary...

Mark13
10-12-12, 23:08
I'm on day 11 of Pregabalin treatment for GAD (I already take 15mg of Mirtazapine to help me sleep).

Day One (75mg twice a day)

Took the first tablet around 1pm on an empty stomach. Soon felt great, all my worries disappeared, I felt physically and mentally lighter.

Went out for a 7 mile walk. My head felt clear, the world somehow seemed brighter and sharper and I felt more part of it (I suffer from derealisation constantly).

This initial feeling dulled during the day to a feeling of relaxation and contentment, the second dose I took around 7pm.

Day Two

Again took the first dose early afternoon, again before food.

Felt great again. Went out for a walk with my wife, felt light, happy and "loved up" (never taken an E, but I imagine the effect is similar). My wife found my behaviour disturbing and annoying, I was hyper-excited - not a normal good mood.

Got home, read up on the drug, to find that "mild euphoria" is a side effect. Aah, I see.

Day three

Back to my usual state of anxiety, no euphoria from the medication.

Day Four

Out for a 9 mile walk with my wife. Feeling my usual anxious self. When I got home though my mind really "crashed" my anxiety went through the roof for a few hours, really horrible.

Days Five and Six

Again not feeling much of an effect, a slight calming maybe, but nothing obvious.

Day Seven (2 75mg capsules, twice a day)

Got the GP's agreement to double the dosage.

Went out alone for a 7 mile walk. Felt no different, apart from very thirsty. Very sleepy after second dose at 7pm.

Days Eight, Nine and Ten

Slightly calmer maybe. Very sleepy again after second dose. Also after second dose get very annoying double vision which makes it possible only to watch TV one-eyed.(side effect of dosage)

Day Eleven
Out with my wife for a walk again. Felt great after my first dose. Calm and relaxed, best I've felt since the "euphoria of the first 2 days" but more measured and realistic.

This crashed at about 6.30 when I suddenly got stressed and became my usual paranoid over-sensitive self. Slightly calmer after second dose, but very drunk feeling, hard to keep my balance, and the double vision is very bad (although tolerable at my PC, but impossible to watch TV)

By the way, I use a pedometer as I'm trying to diet, hence the walking distances above. Also I don't drink or smoke, so the drunk feeling today is particularly annoying (I got bored of drinking years ago, but I remember the feeling of being drunk :))

Mark

hanshan
11-12-12, 14:01
Hi Mark,

So good that you have posted - please keep it up, it will help others taking this medication.

More than one person has reported initial highs, followed by lows. Please stick with it, and report back on how you are doing after another week or two.

Good luck with pregabalin.

Mark13
11-12-12, 19:30
Thanks hanshan

Rather than bore everyone with a daily post, I'll update it every few days.

Thanks for showing an interest.

Mark

BobbyDog
12-12-12, 14:24
I take Pregabalin and am finding your post very interesting, I experienced the same side effects as yourself when I first started taking this medication. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

I am up about 6 months now, most side effects gone. Still having very heightened anxiety symptoms, but recover time from panic is much quicker.

Mark13
12-12-12, 14:30
BobbyDog, glad to hear you're benefitting from Pregabalin.

I was fooled into thinking those periods of "mild euphoria" were me getting better fast. Unfortunately not but they were nice side-effects. I'm looking for a more subtle response from this drug now.

I'm still taking 300mg but yesterday, I spaced the dosages 12 hours apart, which stopped the double vision from the second dose which was obviously too early.

I'm seeing my Doc on 17th to review and possibly increase the dose - 450mg is the next step up I believe.

What dosage are you on?

Mark

hanshan
13-12-12, 11:50
I take 600 mg a day, but I must be some kind of warhorse - there seem to be people doing quite nicely on 75 mg a day. I have to say that with most medications I have to take the maximum dose to register any benefit.

That said, it's been the best thing I've come across for anxiety in several decades (like I can remember before there was television - a long time).

Mark13
13-12-12, 13:19
Thanks hanshan, that gives me hope for the future.

I'm into week 6 of my absence from work, and I want to go back, but I have to feel stronger than I have for years because it was work stress that caused me to go off long term for the first time in 5 years.

I've managed to take my split dose 9 hours apart now without any double vision, I'm trying this because no doubt if the GP agrees an increase it may be to 450, which would be three times daily, although I now see Lyrica do 200mg capsules so I may get put on 400mg.

I notice the price per month, that the practice has to pay, for twice daily is over £64. 60 times higher than taking the old tricyclic Amitryptiline for a month. No wonder there aren't many people on these boards being prescribed it :scared15:

That said 75mg twice a day costs them the same as 300mg twice a day, so now I'm on the drug, they shouldn't balk at increasing the dose on grounds of cost.

Cheers

BobbyDog
13-12-12, 19:18
I have been on 300mg for about six months now, I couldn't see my gp increasing my dose, when I initially asked for the medication, I was informed it wasn't used to treat GAD/Panic Attacks, I knew different so asked to see a another gp within the same practice, that went down like a lead balloon. I also take Amitriptyline and Mirtazapine, which is another reason for them to keep me on my current dose.

Mark13
13-12-12, 19:32
BobbyDog

I'm happy to be on 300mg if that's the right dosage for me. As yet, I feel a little calmer, but being off work there are no major stressors so it's difficult to judge.

I'm fortunate that I saw probably the only Doc in the practice (we have 7 Doctors) that would have been willing to prescribe this, so I'm hoping he'll also be happy to experiment with dosages.

The BMJ / BMA literature states that it takes 4 weeks before any noticeable beneficial effect, so I'm still hopeful, but I feel maybe the changes will be subtle and I'll only notice improvement when looking back rather than analysis my feelings on a day to day basis.

Mark13
14-12-12, 22:52
Diary continued

Days 12-15 (Days 5-8 on 300mg)

Although the double vision has gone, taking the dosages too close together is giving me a drunk feeling (head spinning, stumbling around the house). So I'm keeping 10 hours between dosages now.

I'm alternating between feeling quite calm for hours, and then back to agitated again, but I still feel there is some degree of progress.

The calm periods are getting longer, and any minor trigger during these periods still has my mind racing, but my body doesn't react as it used to (no cold grip in the heart and throat with churning stomach). Also I can dismiss minor things more quickly because my body isn't on alert just my mind.

Calming my body down (even if it doesn't work mentally) would be a great leap forward for me and enable me to be more objective, rather than irrationally panicking (not a panic attack). If the experience of the last couple of days is an indicator of things to come then this drug could be much better for me than a beta-blocker for physical calming (I've been on both Propranolol and Atenolol).

Not wanting to jump the gun, but the last couple of days has given me a great deal of optimism that, even those there's no magic wand, this medication might be a valuable tool in supporting my other endeavours (self help books, including CBT).

hanshan
15-12-12, 10:22
Hi Mark13,

Stay with it - it seems like pregabalin is delivering some benefits.

In the early days of taking a medication like pregabalin, you are more likely to experience a roller-coaster effect until a steady base of the medication builds up in your body.

One way to counter this is to take the medication split into three or four doses a day for the first two weeks or so, then switching to the regular dosage. Doctors usually don't recommend this as it's too complicated for most pharmacies and patients.

JT69
15-12-12, 16:18
Hello,

I only take 50mg twice daily and it has helped me so much...I also take 7.5mg of mirtazipine at night.

I have suffered with depression/anxiety for around 12 years now and have taken a few ad's citalopram been the most successive previoulsy but even then I would still occasionally struggle with anxiety...citalopram did not work the last time I suffered so I had to change to mirtazipine...this helped so much but I still suffered anxiety UNTIL someone on here suggested Pregabalin and goodness me I have never looked back!! It has been a huge turn round for me...I was lucky my GP happily prescribed it for me and still does with no problems.

Good luck with it...I hope you benefit as I have.

Jo.x

Mark13
15-12-12, 16:27
Thanks Jo

It's great to see people benefitting from this drug as it's pretty much my last resort.

Since my "breakdown" in 1993 I've been on (or tried for more than a week) as far as I recall:

Tricyclics: Doxepin, Dusulepin (aka dothiepin) and Lofepramine

SSRIs: fluoxetine, citalopram and fluvoxamine.

Others: trazodone, mirtazapine and pregabalin.

My combination of Mirtazapine and Pregabalin doesn't have to make me feel great, I just want to feel strong enough to cope with work and stress without being ill.

Can I ask - how long have you been on pregabalin and how long did it take for you to really notice the benefits?

Thanks

hanshan
16-12-12, 09:06
Hi Mark,

I've been taking pregabalin for two and a half years, and mirtazapine for a few years before that.

It took about four hours for my first dose of pregabalin to work. It took away years of background anxiety like wiping a dirty window clean. Since then I've moved up to taking the maximum dose, and it doesn't make me 100% anxiety free, but it's given me the confidence to go back into the full-time workforce.

JT69
16-12-12, 16:00
Hi Mark,

I have been taking pregabalin for two and a half years as well!! I started to feel a difference after about a week...it was very quick for me...I had been taking mirtazipine for about 3 months before that. It really has changed my life...I used to wake up with dreadful anxiety which sometimes stayed with me for most of the day (evenings been the only time it seemed to go when at its worst) now I do wake up with very slight anxiety but by the time I have got up it has gone and I can now enjoy my days...and my life so much more. I used to think it was something I just had to live with and tried to make the best of it but it really hampered a lot of things...I found I was ok until something changed or I had to go away or something then it would rear its head and make an appearance.

Pregabalin and mirt have been the perfect combination for me.

Sorry gone on a bit....

Hope that helps and I so hope it helps you too.

Hanshan I didnt realise we had the same meds thing in common...glad it helps you too!!

Jo.x

rhusio
16-12-12, 16:43
Do people think it would be possible to drive while taking pregabablin ? I'm guessing the feeling of being drunk must surely wear off in due course like it does with antidepressants ?

Mark13
16-12-12, 17:55
Thanks Jo and hanshan

Well I'm on day 17 and apart from the odd few hours over the last few days when I feel good, I don't feel any major improvement as yet.

I'm trying to put into practice "mindfulness" and breathing exercises too.

Also I've got the most heinous munchies the last few days, worse that mirtazapine munchies alone. As I'm overweight I hope I can control that :unsure:

The fact you both responded quickly concerns me, maybe I should be feeling better by now?

I did feel great after the first capsule but it was just the "mild euphoria" side effect. Didn't last unfortunately.

I'm still off work (week 6) and can't see being going back for another 6, that's if this drug starts to work for me.

Seeing the Doc tomorrow to discuss progress and maybe a dosage increase.

Mark

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Do people think it would be possible to drive while taking pregabablin ? I'm guessing the feeling of being drunk must surely wear off in due course like it does with antidepressants ?
I don't drive, but I found I don't get the drunk feeling too much after the first dose of the day, I just got it bad when I took the second dose too early. It's trial and error as to finding the timings that suit best.

Mark13
17-12-12, 19:42
Day 18

Went to the Docs today. He agreed to step my dosage up to 450mg per day (150mg day, 300mg night) then to go to 600mg after a week.

Still off work, signed off till the New Year now.

I've had some short periods of quite noticeable calm over the past 18 days and I hope the dosage increases will help bring those periods back, and more often.

Mark

almamatters
17-12-12, 19:49
Hi Mark thanks for posting your diary. On 4th week of pregabalin , seriously struggling with increase in appetite, I just can't stop eating sometimes, especially at night. Not concerned at the moment as was underweight anyway. Keep posting if possible, it's interesting to read another persons experiences. :flowers:

Mark13
17-12-12, 22:06
almamatters

Yes, unfortunately I get the increased appetite with mirtazapine too, so a double whammy for me at the moment. Plus I'm already 4 stone overweight.

I count my intake (popular weight loss programme :winks:) just to try to stay the same weight. I eat loads of fruit to try to fill myself up, but the med munchies aren't really hunger focussed, they strike even when you're bloated. I'm also walking on average 6-7 miles a day while off sick to try to keep my mind alert and it helps trying to combat the appetite too.

I'm hoping with a bit of effort, I can reduce the compulsion to eat, especially late in the day, as you mention, that I'll be able to bring the "munchies" under control.

rhusio
20-12-12, 16:20
How's it going Mark if you don't mind me asking - it's sounding like the pregabablin is being quite effective (?)

Mark13
20-12-12, 17:41
No mate, ask away I'm happy someone's interested :) Here we go:

Third week on Pregabalin (alongside existing Mirtazapine).

Well week 3 has been really promising. Saw the Doc on the 17th and increased my dosage to 450mg. Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a noticeable feeling of calm, lasting most of the day. Any minor stresses still got me mentally anxious, but I was able to deal with these quickly because my body wasn't physically reacting as it normally would (I'm sure you have all experienced these reactions: clenched jaw, cold sweat, churning stomach, cold grip in heart and throat, bowels...well you get the picture).

Today my wife had a procedure at hospital and I had to get up 3 hours earlier than usual, plus I had to listen to piped music in the waiting room for 2 hours, but felt a calm equilibrium.

I feel a bit more agitated now, but I'm hoping that the calm wasn't just a passing phase brought on by the dosage increase.

The other day I lost the calm feeling fast so I was able to compare the effect of Pregabalin, and at it's best it's a huge difference. It seems quite subtle at first, but maybe that's because it works slowly.

Anyway fingers crossed that what I've felt the last few days is not a side effect but a therapeutic effect which will continue.

Mark13
20-12-12, 22:22
It's so frustrating, it feel like this drug gives me glimpses (for hours, days) then just take it away and I crash back down.

It's cruel.

I felt so anxious I took my second dose way too early, and now my head is spinning, I feel drunk.

Still persevering with this drug. I need to get better and get back to work and "normality".

almamatters
20-12-12, 22:36
Hi Mark, your last post struck a chord with me, I need to get better too and get back to work, have been off for 3 months. I am just so up and down at the moment, feel calm and happy half the day and irritable and fed up the rest of it. Am struggling with the tiredness as well ,( assuming it is from the meds ).
Hope your periods of calm continue to increase. All the best to you.

Mark13
21-12-12, 00:09
Hope your periods of calm continue to increase. All the best to you.
Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Mark13
21-12-12, 22:16
Day 22 on Preg, 5th day on 450mg

It's been a roller-coaster ride these past 3-and-a-bit weeks.

However, given that I had the most harrowing OH interview (over the phone) I've felt like there's been a great degree of progress today.

I've been angry due to my treatment by Occ. Health. but instead of becoming an emotional mess I emailed a complaint to the OH provider, got some Union advice and arranged a face-to-face discussion with work (28 day sickness review).

So yes, angry, annoyed and upset. But not particularly anxious - felt physically, if not mentally, quite calm.

Took my double dose later today (about 9 hours after the single dose) and I feel OK, no major side effects.

I feel much less agitated than I would normally be considering the stressful day.

Hope it continues :)

strat61
23-12-12, 19:23
Hi Mark,just read your Pregabalin diary,Wow! you are going through it still things seem to be calming down a bit for you & I hope it continues.I will make another appointment at surgery to see another doc as the one I normally see will not prescribe the Pregabalin for me,I will also download some of the blogs on here to take with me as evidence.Do you know of any more info that this drug is for anxiety my doc just says it a pain killer.
Good luck with your revovery Mark

Cheers for now

Mark13
23-12-12, 19:35
strat61

To be fair my Doc said he'd only ever prescribed it for nerve pain, but to his credit he looked it up on his drug database and Generalised Anxiety Disorder was listed.

Print these out for your Doc from trusted sites:

(look at the second paragraph under "Your Medicine")

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Anxiety&medicine=pregabalin&preparation=Pregabalin%20150mg%20capsules

(this info from Boots is lifted from the official British Medical Journal)

http://www.webmd.boots.com/anxiety-panic/anxiety-pregabalin

Anxious_gal
24-12-12, 00:38
Is great you're watching what you eat :) despite feeling stressed and extra hungry.
It seems like the meds are starting help?

Mark13
25-12-12, 16:43
Is great you're watching what you eat :) despite feeling stressed and extra hungry.
It seems like the meds are starting help?
It's very up and down, Anxious_gal, although I'm still hopeful.

Certainly the side-effects are minimal now, just a pretty raging thirst at times.

However, I don't feel a great deal better than I did before I started taking them, but as my diary shows I have had some short periods of genuine calm.

I still think it's calming my body to some extent but not my mind, which is still anxious, over-sensitive and obsessing over minor things.

Still got my fingers crossed it'll help in the long run though, and I'm only on day 2 of the maximum dosage :)

Mark13
25-12-12, 23:42
I really feel awful today.

Went out for a short walk with my wife, but I've been completely on edge all day. My mind and body are wired. My nerves are on fire.

I feel like I licked my finger and stuck it in a light socket.

I couldn't be less anxious if you stuck me down an alleyway barred by two hungry rottweilers.

Might be the increase in dose, it might be just that none of these drugs ever work for me and I'm getting completely sick of feeling so bad.

I've been through every anxiety drug in the Doctor's armoury, I even suggested Pregabalin to him and he'd never prescribed it for anxiety before.

This is my last chance with medication, there's nothing left to try.

Pregabalin is supposed to be great, Prozac too, but nothing seems to work for me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH HH !!

Feel better now :wacko:

hanshan
26-12-12, 03:18
Hi Mark,

Don't give up hope - more meds are in development, just have to work their way through clinical trials. BNC210 is one that has been developed in Australia, but there are others.

Take care.

little wren
27-12-12, 09:32
Hi Mark

Just read your blog. Not been on this site for a few months.
I hope you are feeling a bit better today.

I was just wondering are you taking pregabablin for generalised anxiety or is it for panic disorders etc? It was suggested for me a year ago for anxiety but I would have to come off prozac to take it (which I feel I cannot having been on prozac for years for ocd and terrible withdrawal effects when I tried to come off it). You say you have tried every anxiety drug going...I am stuck as to what they are as apart from ssri and benzodiazipane I cannot think of any more....please share if you know of any other anti-anxiety drugs.

Really hope you are feeling better :)
little wren

hanshan
27-12-12, 10:29
Hi Little Wren,

Forgive me for jumping in ahead of Mark, but I went through all this some years back, scouring the literature for what might be available for anxiety. Fortunately for me, I finally found pregabalin, which worked for me but only after I had asked my doctor for it more than once (still not approved for anxiety in Australia).

Other contenders other than SSRIs and benzodiazepines are SNRIs (chiefly mirtazapine), some antihistamines (mirtazapine also has antihistamine effects), beta blockers like propranolol (help control physical effects of anxiety), and buspirone. Yes, I've tried all of the above, and mirtazapine plus pregabalin is the combination that works best for me, though it's not for everyone.

There are also various legal and non-legal non-pharmaceutical substances that I won't go into.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, all pharma great and small is starting to get back into developing new anxiolytics.

little wren
27-12-12, 10:44
Hi hanshan

Thanks for your reply :). It is a minefield out there trying to work out what may work. I have only ever been on prozac and it has partial success in treating ocd with me so I cannot change from prozac completely (horrendous side effects on withdrawal). However, I am looking for a medication which can augment prozac and help reduce the anxiety.

I don't think pregabalin is licensed for anxiety in UK either but is used off label. I have heard good things about it and its side effects are much less severe than risperidone (which had been suggested to augment prozac to reduce anxiety).

You seem very well informed and I am going to have a look at some of these options you mentioned to see if any can be combined with ssri. Thanks.

hanshan
27-12-12, 11:12
Hi Little Wren,

Pregabalin has been licensed in the UK for the treatment of Generalised Anxiety since 2006. It can be combined with an SSRI or SNRI.

I am not familiar with the use of risperidone for anxiety. You say that you have experienced OCD. In that case, risperidone may stop the compulsive thoughts and so reduce anxiety. Please discuss this with your doctor - I'm not qualified to say.

Take care.

Mark13
27-12-12, 12:52
Little wren

As hanshan says Pregabalin has been licenced for GAD in the UK for 6 years now, although when I suggested it to my GP he had to look it up as he said he'd only ever prescribed it for nerve pain.

To answer your earlier question when I said I'd tried every drug I was a bit emotional. I meant every type really. The drugs I've been on since 1989 (for GAD or depression) are:

Beta-blockers: Propanolol, Atenolol
Tricyclics: Doxepin, Dosulepin, Lofepramine
SSRIs: fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, citalopram
Benzodiazapines: diazepam
Others: mirtazapine, trazodone, pregabalin

Those are the ones I remember, there may have been more :)

Mark

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Diary update - Days 27 and 28 (3 and 4 days on 600mg)

After the awful feeling of day 26, I've recovered back up to my "normal" level of anxiety, in that I feel the drug isn't doing much at the moment.

Still plan on continuing though and hoping it'll improve things.

Maybe the effect is more subtle than I expect, maybe I'm expecting too much. Time will tell :)

JT69
27-12-12, 15:47
Hello Mark

I have everything crossed for you...I do hope you can find some peace.

Take care and keep going.

Jo.x

Mark13
27-12-12, 18:37
Hello Mark
I have everything crossed for you...I do hope you can find some peace.
Take care and keep going.
Jo.x
Thanks Jo, I really appreciate that. From reading the forums I notice everyone goes through these stresses, wondering if the drug will "kick in", dealing with the side effects. It's a frustrating journey.

Mark

Mark13
28-12-12, 13:16
Day 29 (max dose 600mg day 5)

I'm now experimenting with taking the doses 11-12 hours apart. One when I get up, and the other a couple of hours before bed (along with my mirtazapine). Took my first late dose yesterday after a very high anxiety day (for no reason, no real triggers).

Feeling a little better so far today, now need to push myself to brave the gloomy weather and get my usual exercise for the day (especially as I've put on 5lbs since I've been on these, despite the 40 miles of walking a week, but TBH I've not made a great attempt to combat the Pregabalin munchies, I need to be more disciplined, as, even though I eat healthily and get lots of exercise I'm still 4 stone overweight.

Mark13
29-12-12, 20:56
4 weeks in, 600mg maximum dose day 6

The last couple of days have been good after a couple of really bad days anxiety-wise in the week (no triggers, just high anxiety).

I suffer badly with obsessive rumination, usually about past events (times when I felt embarrassed, criticised unfairly or just regrets - things I wish I'd done differently).

I used to worry about the future (but that was helped by CBT). I also used to have Health Anxiety, and although I still get concerned if I get a new symptom that doesn't go away, I seek reassurance from my GP and accept what he tells me. I can consult "Dr. Google" and pick the most likely illness, rather than the most scary, so I don't think I have a major problem with HA any more.

So, it's mainly the rumination and the physical and mental torture it brings that defines my own anxiety disorder.

What I've noticed these past two days is that the past events keep jumping in to my conscious mind to torture me as usual, but they don't torture me. What I mean is there's no (or very little) physical response to these thoughts, so it's easy to say to myself, yes, that happened, it's not important now, move on. That said, these things still will pop up in my mind, but should be easier to dismiss.

After only 2 days I don't want to get too excited, the change is subtle but very noticeable. I'm not ultra-calm, in fact I'm still quite on edge, but nowhere near what I've got used to over recent years. I'm even considering, or even wanting, to return to the work that caused me the extra stress and triggered this episode. So I must be feeling better :)

It's probably a coincidence, but the 2 day period where I've felt better has coincided with my changing the timing of this max dosage - 300mg twice a day, but 11 hours apart.

I'm crossing my fingers that this improvement continues.

If it does I feel it will be an important element in my strategy along with: this site, relaxation exercises and self-help books (CBT and mindfulness).

I see the Doc on 3rd January, and my boss on the 4th (for a sickness review meeting).

rhusio
30-12-12, 20:41
I'm glad you're starting to feel improved Mark. I'm still thinking about asking to try pregabablin myself but will probably be told I haven't taken the Mirtazapine for long enough yet :-s

almamatters
30-12-12, 21:04
Hi Mark, have read your posts, but wondered if you have noticed head pressure especially first thing in the morning? I used to get it now and again before pregabalin but notice it is becoming daily, wondered if it was a side effect. Can't read the leaflet as have severe anxiety about meds side effects and have to throw leaflet away when opening the box.
Hope you are doing ok

Mark13
31-12-12, 00:26
Thanks to you both

I'm a bit more stressed today, but mainly because I've been out walking with my wife (don't get me wrong, she's great, it's me that picks up on things she says and stresses over them for no reason, looking for any possible criticism - one of my obsessions).

Also I started to feel more anxious in the evening too.

That said, I think the Pregabalin calms my body to a large extent, but the mental side I'll have to work on myself.

It does mean though, that when I'm untroubled by any triggers, I'm much more relaxed that my previous level of being relaxed (if you see what I mean).

As for head pressure, can't say I've really felt anything lately other than dizziness, dry mouth and the dreaded "munchies", although the latter could be just psychological, and most of these I get with Mirtazapine so I'm used to them.

That said, I really need to shift the 6lbs I put on in the last 2 weeks, as I'm now 4½ stone overweight :weep:

hanshan
31-12-12, 06:48
Keep at it, Mark. You have a very sensible approach to what we all know can be a debilitating condition. Your efforts will produce positive results.

Another thought about medication. How is your blood pressure? I also take prazosin (Minipress) to reduce blood pressure. I usually take it just before bedtime as it makes me feel a bit light-headed, but if there is a day when anxiety starts up, I can take it earlier on in the day, and it helps reduce the anxiety. It does increase lack of coordination, though.

Prazosin is being used to stop nightmares for people who have post-traumatic stress disorder, but I find it helps reduce my daytime anxiety when combined with mirtazapine and pregabalin.

Mark13
31-12-12, 13:42
Hi hanshan

Never had a problem with my BP, one of the few things that's really healthy about me :)

Anxiety seems to be creeping back a bit since last night, but as I said before, maybe I'm expecting too much. If it "takes the edge off" and allows me to get back to work, it might not be a miracle cure but better than nothing.

Might ask to go back on Atenolol too when I see my GP on Friday.

Never been one for "cocktails" of drugs but I'll try anything right now.

hanshan
01-01-13, 10:22
Hi Mark,

The addition of a beta blocker is worth a try, even if it means taking a cocktail of medications.

Prazosin is an alpha-1 blocker. I've just noticed that there is a medication which blocks both beta receptors and alpha-1 receptors - labetalol. If I was really desperate, I'd ask my GP to try it, but I'm pretty sure they would say no, as it is untried for this problem.

But don't lose hope. The medications available have changed greatly in the past few years, and will continue to do so.

Mark13
01-01-13, 18:37
Thanks hanshan

Forgot to mention I've been on beta-blockers before (both Propranolol and Atenolol at different times) so it shouldn't be hard to get one of those again - maybe to use as and when.

Actually feeling good today, maybe the other day was just a dip.

I'm still anxious and easily stressed, but once dealt with I find my equilibrium quickly instead of going over and over events in my mind (rumination).

Also my stomachs not "churning", no cold sweats, in fact physical symptoms are greatly reduced compared to the hyper-agitation that I've had the last few years.

In fact if I continue to feel this way, I hope to get back to work on Thursday 10th (starting with a short week of course, too risky to start on a Monday).

So, up and down this week, but mainly up :)

Mark13
04-01-13, 23:20
Lost track, but about 5 weeks on Pregabalin

Had to go in to work for the first time in 2 months for a sickness review meeting. Got a bit stressed during, but felt quite calm beforehand.

As mentioned in my earlier posts the Pregabalin, now I've adjusted to the 600mg, seems to be reducing my physical reaction to stress and worry (no chills, fast heart-rate, nausea etc - or a least very little).

Anyway, I went to the Doc yesterday and have decided to go back to work on Thursday the 10th, starting with a short week and reduced hours for a couple of weeks.

I'm wary, because of the roller-coater ride on this drug, that this improvement might not last, but trying to be optimistic that it will.

The change in me is subtle, but very noticeable (to me).

rhusio
05-01-13, 16:15
Sounds good news Mark, well done!

Mark13
05-01-13, 16:53
Thanks rhusio

Feeling more anxious today for no reason, but I'll take "up and down" instead of feeling bad all the time.

The Doc also allowed me to go back on Propranolol, but I wanted only to take them as and when needed, so I've not added them to the mix yet :)

Kayla-Marie
05-01-13, 17:11
hi mark i was on a beta blocker for high blood pressure in pregnancy and found it stopped my panic in its track but now my babys 4 months old and my Bp is still highish my gp as put me on a different Bp med so am feeling the anxiety again....wish he would of kept me on it x

Mark13
08-01-13, 13:30
Also posted on Kayla-Marie's thread but I might as well bring my Diary up to date :)

Week 6

After popping into work on Friday 4th feeling quite calm, my anxiety shot up on Saturday and Sunday, I was in as bad a state as ever. No idea why.

Started taking Propranolol on Sunday, twice a day to start (although prescribed 3xdaily).

Tuesday 8th - On edge, need to go out for a walk on my own, but not feeling hyper-anxious, just irritable.

2 days before going back to work - initially on reduced hours.

Mark13
09-01-13, 14:13
Back to work tomorrow :scared15:

Week 6 on Pregabalin (continued)

The roller-coater ride continues - felt a little calmer yesterday.

However, the propranolol made me very dizzy, I really had to be careful when crossing roads (on my usual 6 mile walk). Also had the most painful shoulder and neck stiffness - propranolol side effect or just muscle tension? Went away when I got home anyway.

Decided to use the Propranolol as a when needed, that's what I asked the GP for, but on the drug box from the chemist is said 3 times a day, so I thought I'd try it. I may do that if the Pregabalin effect keeps disappearing though.

I'm back at work tomorrow, but fortunately on reduced hours, and I can't see them dumping loads of stressful work on me straight away :)

Well, going out for another walk now, need to get my grandson a birthday card :)

rhusio
14-01-13, 13:41
Sounds like you're doing really well Mark - I hope work is okay and that your grandson has a nice birthday.

Do you find propranolol does much? I tried it 20 yrs ago and I don't remember much effect but maybe I didn't take enough of it?

Mark13
14-01-13, 16:25
TBH I only took it this time for a couple of days, gave me a really dry mouth and dizziness. It was hard to judge it's effectiveness this time, but I felt the side effects didn't warrant taking it daily, especially as I'm only 7 weeks or so into pregabalin, although that seems to be settling now.

I told the Doc I wanted to use it infrequently, when I felt extra stressed, and that's how I intend to use it (although he put 3 times a day on my prescription for some reason).

From past experience it certainly reduces my heart rate, which can help if you panic over a fast heart-rate, but I think any benefits in treating anxiety are minor. It's helpful if your anxiety isn't too pronounced IMHO.

That said, alongside other drugs, such as SSRIs or pregabalin, I think the combined benefit is worth having.

By the way, my grandson is over 200 miles away, so I'm presuming he had a good birthday :) As for work, well I'm being eased in very gently (shorter hours, hardly any real work) so I'm coping fine thanks.

However, I have a meeting on Friday to discuss whether I should be given an official warning for my absence.

I've prepared a long written case trying to persude them it's not appropraite. We'll see who comes out on top :)

Smallie
20-01-13, 16:32
Thanks for posting this. It's interesting to read. I'm on day 3 of Pregabalin and haven't noticed any changes yet but will keep taking it. If after a month or so, i don't notice a difference i may go back to the doctor and ask him to increase my dose.

It's also nice to see that other people also take Mirtazapine and Pregabalin too. Hope it works out well for all of us

Mark13
20-01-13, 19:07
Hi Smallie

From what I've read, and my experience, is that only high dosage is helpful for GAD.

My GP pretty much increased my dose every week till I reached max.

That said, most of what you read on the web is just hearsay, but NHS guidance states that 450-600mg dosages get the same effect - so basically if it's cheaper to the practice to prescribe 450, then they shouldn't go higher.

Twice daily, regardless of the dosage costs the same to the practice, so in that respect the surgery have a great deal of choice regarding dosage.

I'm certainly happy with 600mg, but it doesn't stop me having bad days, or even bad hours where the anxiety peaks, but it usually settles again quite quickly.

Good luck with your treatment.