PDA

View Full Version : fighting two battles

willy
23-08-06, 14:15
hi,

im fighting two battles here. one is my depresion and anxiety dissorder. the other is my family ganging up on me and being nasty to me. especially my father.

my dad said to me recently we are all going to the maldives.

two years ago i would of jumped in joy and excitement.

but ive developed this fear of flying as some of you on here know about already.

i have flown this year. these have been shorty trips in europe.

anyway i have thought long and hard about this.

i talked to my grooup therapist yeterday for a lenghty time about it. the maldives trip.
i came to the decision that, im not ready for a trip this long yet.

resaon being is i believe in order to overcome this fear i have too overcome my other phobias first which are not ass severe as the flying.
and do sum more short trips, if i can get the time to do so, this year.

so i told my dad on the phone this morning the decision ive made.

he went berserk at me. started saying to me you cantgo on like this and your not even trying.

this is really frustrating andupsetting me. i feel so alone and hoped my family would understand and be on my side.

i feel like i am making good progress and that im heading in the rite direction.my therapist has told me this too. its a shame my parents dont care about these steps i have achieved already. and cant appreciate how much effort im putting in too overcome all of this.

will:(

Wannabeloved85
23-08-06, 15:52
Hi will.
Sorry to hear your not feeling too good. I know how support from a family is sometimes needed. BUT, you would be suprised by how many sufferers cope and take those steps alone. You dont necasserily need the support from your family to feel loved etc. You know when your ready to take such steps, no one else does. You know whats right.
The only person who should recognise the progress your making, is you, your the one who counts right now.
Becci x

tnt808
23-08-06, 17:13
I'm so sorry you haven't received the support you need. But it seems that people like us are experts at suffering in silence anyways. I agree that going at a slower pace may help you along better but, don't wait too long you'll end up missing out on everything (speaking from experience). I suffer from a severe flying phobia...I understand the fear! I also understand how debilitating it is to have anxiety and the fears just grow and grow onto something else. Get help while you can.

Good luck,

Tina

W.I.F.T.S.
25-08-06, 10:40
Hi Willy, I appreciate your efforts, although it's also quite easy to see your father's point of view, because he was obviously looking forward to going on holiday with his son- a great positive!!

The question here is whether to jump in at the deep end or whether to paddle first. Personally, there is no way that I could jump in at the deep end. I'd have horrendous panic attacks and the holiday would be a miserable and traumatic experience for me. I went to Amsterdam a little while ago and it was the worst time of my life. I won't be flying again for a long time.

It's one of those situations really. You're doing really well if you're able to fly around europe. maybe if you faced the fear and went to the Maldives it would really accelerate your progress, on the other hand it could really set you back.

It's psychological. If you want to go to the maldives then you can conquer your fear, but if you're only thinking of going to please your family then I don't think that you'd enjoy it or get much out of the experience.

I'm sure that you feel very frustrated with yourself and the last thing you need is your family pressurising you too. It sounds like your family aren't very understanding (like mine), have you tried talking to them about it? Do you face a brick wall?

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

juju
25-08-06, 22:59
hi
the way i look at it is you dont need anyone elses praise in how well you have done, continue to praise yourself, and your confidence will grow anyway, i think the confidence has to come from yourself anyway and not other people. also its not the place or situation but how you feel, so it wouldnt matter if you were home or abroad would it?
im a good one to talk though i just bottled out of going to a concert which is 2 hrs away lol. its a pity i dont take my own advice eh?
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

willy
29-08-06, 18:27
thanx for the support and advice.

i had ashocking wknd. i felt awful. i think it was due to the prozac withdrawl.

anyway feeling bit better today.

cheers,

will