PDA

View Full Version : will this ever go away!!!!

adamikey1
11-12-12, 19:35
Hi I'm new on here had panic attacks started off about a year ago while I was driving had 4 months off work seen a psychologist 3 times now I'm back at work doctor gave me beta blockers but I'm having the attacks still but not has bad but still scary it starts off with palpitations then dizzy and feel like I'm going to die I have had enough what out there is the best treatment this is taking my life over and I can't cope with it anymore thanks for looking please reply was thinking hypnosis

nomorepanic
11-12-12, 19:49
Hi adamikey1

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Annie0904
11-12-12, 19:59
Hi I am sure you will get plenty of support here, we all know what these panic attacks are like, we just have to remember that they CANNOT harm us and they will pass.

potato11
11-12-12, 20:16
Hi adamikey1

Have you tried any CBT at all? it's the top treatment for panic disorder and anxiety

check out the online programme cbt4panic in my signature below :)

Despite anxiety feeling very much like a physical problem, it's to do with mental thought processes and awareness.

Say you were upstairs in your room one night and heard a noise downstairs. Your brain (on the lookout to protect you) states in a neanderthal fashion "LOUD NOISE. DANGER" which then activates fight/flight -adrenaline kicks in.

But now you're primed for action, you can use your cerebral (reasoning/logic) part of your brain - you can either think "oh it was just my cat knocking things over" OR "it must be an intruder!"

the first thought would calm the fight/flight response, the second would crank it up a notch and maintain it. This is what is happening in panic disorders - we constantly believe the 'negative' thoughts for various reasons - mostly due to misinterpretation and long-standing beliefs/experiences

Honestly you will benefit a lot from CBT4panic. The author (Robin) is a cbt therapist and had panic disorder himself for 5 years. If you get stuck at all you can email him a question. It's invaluable!

Austin
14-12-12, 09:21
Yes it will go away and it will get better. I've tried SSRIs and meditation. Meditation was the best for me. My father recovered completely by using SSRIs. Form a plan and execute it. Just having a plan will help.

Sparkle1984
14-12-12, 13:40
Welcome to the forums, Adam. I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here.

I agree that CBT would probably help you. :)

adamikey1
14-12-12, 18:37
What are SRI'S?

Annie0904
14-12-12, 18:39
SSRI's are a type of medication. They work for many but not for me. I have the older type trycylic antidepressants.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors