PDA

View Full Version : mirt split dose morning/evening?

lass-in-a-mess
11-12-12, 19:41
going up to 30mg today after 5 1/2 weeks on 15mg, just wondering if anyone has tried taking 15mg in the morning and 15 before bed? I love how it makes me relax and sleep in the evening but my daytime anxiety is still really bad so I thought I could split it and it might help me in the day. By the time I wake up it seems to have worn off. I spoke to the doc on the phone about the dosage increase and forgot to ask if I can do this, but I've had a look online and it seems to be mentioned in the instructions etc.
Anyone tried taking it this way?

Baggs
11-12-12, 20:17
Hi,
It's a case of suck it and see, find out what works for you. I used to take 30mg of Mirt only at night which helped me sleep. But taking two doses morning and night may be the way for you. Mirt certainly did boost my mood tremendously. I wish you all the best.
Baggs

ElizabethJane
11-12-12, 22:31
I have have heard of people doing this but I have always taken my mirt in the evenings as a single dose. I am currently taking 45mg and because of its sedative properties it would not suit me at all to split the dose. I would not be able to function. Has your GP agreed to this? It sounds like you need help to tackle your anxiety too? Maybe your GP will help? EJ

Mark13
12-12-12, 00:03
I've tried split dose Mirtazapine.

I've been on 15mg per night for 5 years, but the Doc wanted me to increase it rather than combine with another drug. So I tried 30mg at night, after a few nights it just kept me awake (the sedation side-effects lessens as you go up the doses for some reason).

So I tried slipping - one 5 hours before bed and one at bedtime. Still kept me awake.

Then one in the morning, one at night. Unfortunately I felt drowsy all day and still didn't sleep well at night.

So, it may not have worked for me, but your experience may differ of course :)

So I still take 15mg at night, along with Pregabalin twice a day.

Mark

hanshan
12-12-12, 12:46
Doctors recommend medication dosage based on patient compliance, drug half-life, and other factors.

If possible, doctors recommend one dose of a medication per day, as most patients find this easiest to comply with. Conversely, a short half-life requires breaking the dosage into two or three doses a day.

Because mirtazapine has a reasonably long half-life (20+ hours) and is usually sedating, it is usually recommended as one dose daily before bedtime. However, there is absolutely no reason not to break the dose up into smaller doses at different times of the day if you find that this is more beneficial.