PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Noise Anxiety and Hypersensitivity

RedZed
11-12-12, 21:47
Hi Everyone,

First I wanted to say how impressed I am at the community built up here. Its comforting to know that you are not alone - as it is often easy to feel that way!

I am a 32 year old guy and I have been dealing with anxieties from my mid teens. From the ages 15 - 20 I suffered with agoraphobia and didn't leave the house much. I got myself out of that, and began to live something approaching a 'normal' life in my mid to late twenties.

However, I guess my anxieties never truly went away and in the last few years, I have become particularly sensitive to noise. Particularly noise that I deem to be threatening - examples include (but not limited to) guys shouting in the street, cars revving loudly where I can hear them.

I am particularly bothered by noise I can hear when in my house. A neighbour playing music at a level I can hear can send me into a frenzy of panic. I will feel unsafe and begin to have catastrophic and doom-laden predictions. Of course, no harm visits me, and it is merely inconsiderate, and normal life going on. And whilst I can write this rationally now, I know that the next time I hear something, I will go into fight or flight mode.

I have just moved house for the 4th time in 14 months - each time escaping a noise source that I found to be intolerable. This is taking it's toll on my partner, not to mention our finances. I really like our new place, and it feels well made and I haven't really heard any neighbour noise here. However I do notice that I am occasionally listening out for noise, and almost subconsciously trying to feed the anxiety.

I can't properly explain the envy I feel for people who aren't overtly bothered by external noises. I recognise it is my anxieties, but it's tough to understand.

Its a struggle some days to feel like I'm not sabotaging myself!

nomorepanic
11-12-12, 21:57
Hi RedZed

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mark13
11-12-12, 23:19
RedZed

Welcome to the forum.

You're not alone in being noise-averse.

When we moved into our house in 2003 you could hear the neighbours blink :)

We spent £3500 on sound-proofing for the adjoining wall both upstairs and downstairs. Now the sounds that come through are dulled and easy to shut out of necessary using earplugs.

I use earplugs to help me sleep too because I'm so sensitive to noise.

Next door is privately rented, every time we see the tenants move out, I'm in a staye of worry wondering if the next ones will be just as quiet. 7 tenants in 9 years and only one has been noisy, and only intermittently. So we've been lucky.

My problem isn't just the noise, it's also the lack of consideration that goes with it. I expect everyone to have the same respect for neighbours that I do. Unfortunately you can't control what others do.

While not quite having your degree of noise-phobia, I can can still empathise.

I'm sure that you'll get help and support here.

Mark

bfff2020
12-12-12, 00:47
have to say I didn't quite realize just what a huge part of anxiety where you live actually is, that was until moving here - I'm fortunate to now live in the most quiet place I've ever lived and the positive effect it's had anxiety wise is immeasurable

of course it's nice to have sound neighbours too and they are (thank goodness) but I suppose what I'm saying is don't underestimate the difference it can make I'm sure you've thought a lot about having less 'jumpy' moments because of random sounds. It's extremely annoying if your doing OK and then something sets everything racing as I'm sure you know

where you go to sleep, wake up and leave the house is effectively your own audio bassline and the less jumpy that is the less jumpy you may be

take care