PDA

View Full Version : of a different kind !!!

bluesparkle
12-12-12, 08:43
i have thought long and hard about posting this but i really need some help.
over the years ive been here i have made many steps to recovery and can now do many things i couldnt before but there is one thing i cant get over and its embarrasing and takes over my life at times.
i have health anxiety BUT about others not myself, im not to bothered about my health really and can cope when im ill.
i know this sounds stupid but if someone close to me gets ill i will nag and nag them until firstly they tell me whats wrong, this can even be if i just think theres something wrong and there isnt, once my mind gets hold of a thought its stuck. im paranoid they wont tell me whats wrong.
and then i will worry and get upset and it will over take all thinking until they are well again. its not even major things as i can usually cope with that.
when there is something wrong with them its the end of the world i dont want to do anything, if things are planned id rather cancel than go out with them although they are usually happy to just get on with planned things. it is clearly me with the problem.
i will do anything to get rid of this awful obsession.
ive never really told anyone before i just usually end up argueing and getting cross really upset and wanting to run and hide.
it really is effecting my life, and as you can imagine especially this time of year.
im not sure this is making any sense at all...
im also very embarrased and even now am thinking dont post it people will think you are mad !
any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Baggs
12-12-12, 09:19
Hi Blue,
Not embarrasing at all. I don't have any suggestions, just a huggle ((((Blue))))

Baggs xxx

Brunette
12-12-12, 09:42
It's called "catastrophising" or "cognitive distortion", always assuming the worst outcome in a situation - in your case that illness in your loved-ones will prove serious or life-threatening.

I do it sometimes when I can't get in touch with my OH or my parents straight away. It's not entirely irrational, my OH as a policeman and my parents are elderly but it is a case of worrying needlessly and, knowing that, I tend to snap out of it fairly quickly.

If you allow your worries to dwell then perhaps you could asked to be referred for CBT to help put things into perspective?

bluesparkle
12-12-12, 09:51
thank you baggs and thank you brunette.
im so upset about this at the moment.
yes i do it to if i cant get hold of a loved one ...