PDA

View Full Version : first steps to becoming independant?

danbryn
12-12-12, 23:17
About a year ago i managed to get help with agoraphobia and severe anxiety by receiving CBT.
I am on Citalopram 20mg At the moment.
I did start to become independent but now im back in the situation where i cannot even stay home alone.
Ive put my name down on the list for counselling at my local YAC (young adults center) but im on a waiting list, i went there instead of my gp as i was told the waiting list for cbt in my area is 5 months.
So at the moment its a waiting game, but i really want to push forward with my life and in the new year begin work and actually become independent.

Is there any first steps you can recommend?

Any Structured plans you can give ?

Is it a good idea to push myself alone longer each week or a certain time i feel anxiety coming down ?

Sorry about all the questions, I just dont know where to start and im desparate to become independant and to try and move on with my life :confused:

BobbyDog
13-12-12, 07:46
Try and take it slowly, walk up to the end of the street, go a little bit further each day. If that is too much start off by going in to the garden and spending a few minutes more there every day(I know it's cold to just stand around). Walk up to your local shop, perhaps after a couple of trips go inside, then the following time spend a couple of minutes in there, until you build up enough confidence to actually buy something. If it doesn't go well, keep trying it is the only way to conquer your agoraphobia. If you have the curtains closed in your house, open them. Give yourself one task to complete every day that will help you overcome your anxiety/agoraphobia.

miss_moose
13-12-12, 12:03
I bought a book called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (from Amazon) which is brilliant. It has lots of questionnaires and exercises for you to work through, and in the back there are step by step "instructions" on how to build yourself up to overcoming agoraphobia, as well as other phobias.

Cannot recomend it enough:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook/dp/1572244135/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355400067&sr=8-3

BobbyDog
13-12-12, 19:22
I bought a book called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook (from Amazon) which is brilliant. It has lots of questionnaires and exercises for you to work through, and in the back there are step by step "instructions" on how to build yourself up to overcoming agoraphobia, as well as other phobias.

Cannot recomend it enough:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook/dp/1572244135/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355400067&sr=8-3

I also have this book and have found it invaluable and often go back over topics in it when I hit a rough patch, it is very grounding.

Lost2010
13-12-12, 21:00
I have trouble staying alone as well so can empathise with how you feel. Having no independence and being so reliant on other people sort of takes away the control over your own life which in turn can create anxiety.

BobbyDog's suggestion of giving yourself one task to do everyday is great, it doesn't matter how small. Mine started off with spending 2 mins outside per day and now I'm up to walking at least 2km per day so it's ok to start small, any progress is progress right?

With regard to staying on your own...I'm not sure what your situation is but is there anywhere you have (other than where you're living at the moment) of your own? Perhaps a flat, a studio or an office? I live with family and can't afford to finance my own place right now but often feel that if I could it would be helpful to feel I was making the choice to go and try being on my own for a while (just mins or hours at a time) rather than 'being left' when someone has to go out. Not sure if that's an option for you but maybe choosing to do it rather than being forced to stay alone will help you think about it differently and make it a bit easier to endure.

Try not to be too disheartened, you said you made progress before so I'm sure this is just a blip in your recovery :)