The doctor called it a mood stabiliser, which sounded ok, but on the
leaflet with them they are actually antipsychotic medication, that
sounds so scary
What do I do, just want someone to say I will be ok, anyone else out there
felt like this about quetiapine then taken it and its been ok
Manda

BobbyDog
13-12-12, 19:10
I don't have any experience of this drug, but if in doubt halve the dose.

lovemenot
13-12-12, 19:36
1. Search google for mortal dose
2. Search google for much time it will remain in your body.
3. Think of the past XXX days you took medicines (or even this medicines) and nothing happened.

speckles69uk
13-12-12, 20:42
Hi Manda,

Sorry I can't give a very good response to your post, but I'll try. My psychiatrist did suggest mood stabilisers to me, don't know the names though. I also have a fear of taking medication, so it was decided between us that I didn't want to take it, plus I didn't like the idea of the side effects, so I'm not taking any. That's my own personal choice, so please don't let that put you off.

You say that it is an antipsychotic, but that doesn't mean the doctor thinks you are psychotic. They can be used for a variety of conditions. For example, if I recall correctly (apologies if I'm incorrrect), people suffering from epilepsy can be prescribed antipsychotics and Beta blockers can also be used for migraines, not just for heart conditions. Please don't worry about what the leaflet says.

I wouldn't recommend googling, google can bring up all sorts of irrelevant things, and could possibly make your anxieties even worse. Before you half it, I would suggest speaking to your doctor regarding the medication, or a pharmacist (as they are trained in giving advice about medication). I'm not a doctor or a chemist, but the type of medication may not be suitable for halfing, ie it may not be absorbed properly in the body if tampered with, or it may not have any affect at all.

Good luck and I hope you find the reassurance you need

Take care

Rebecca

Lost2010
13-12-12, 20:50
I can't offer any advice about the medication you've been prescribed as I've never taken it but I always afraid of taking new medication in case of any side effects. I've found the most helpful thing to do is have a relative read the leaflet for me and stay away from Google if you can! If I read the leaflet I'll only convince myself I got every side effect mentioned within 5 mins of taking it but if you have a relative you trust to read it and ensure it won't counteract with any other meds you take then that might be helpful.

Also, bear in mind that it can take a few days for new meds to get in your system so you may feel a little wobbly (probably caused mainly by the anxiety of taking it) but once you've got through the first 24hrs without any issues hopefully you'll be more confident about taking it.

mandshere2000
13-12-12, 21:20
Hi
Thank you for all you replys, it really is appreciated
Speckles....doctor said if I stay on the small dose I should not
experience any side effects ( not sure about that:huh:)
Feel such a wimp, sitting here now feeling awful the weird far away
feeling:wacko: trying to keep the panic from coming
Could cry don't know how much more I can take of this.....mind racing
100 miles a hour,thinking I could take the quetiapine and it be the best choice
and could feel brilliant ( what to do)
Manda

lovemenot
13-12-12, 21:43
try to watch a movie,etc after you take them.

Mark13
13-12-12, 21:55
The doctor called it a mood stabiliser, which sounded ok, but on the leaflet with them they are actually antipsychotic medication, that sounds so scary

Don't let that worry you. Yes it's designed for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, but it's also licensed for depression, and "off label" for anxiety I believe.

I'm on Pregabalin, which is described as an anti-convulsant (to treat epilepsy), but it's also licensed for GAD so I don't bother about it's original purpose if it helps me.

Also, personally, I would always take the dosage prescribed, but it's your body and your choice of course.

mandshere2000
14-12-12, 00:03
Hi mark
I did read up on pregabalin and wondered if I would be better on that
did you get any side effects
I get quite bad downers and depersonalisation, but what scares me is I have a book
on DP wrote by doctors from the mausdley hospital in London and they do not recommend
antipsychotic medication for DP or DR....I know sometimes its not wise to read to much
but these are the experts on DP
I actually waited 6 months to get the appointment with the psychiatrist and it was only to
see if he would refer me to the mausdley but he refused and prescribed the quetiapine
Manda

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

I think I need to hear from anyone that has DP and taken quetiapine

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

and that it's helped

Mark13
14-12-12, 12:55
Hi mark
I did read up on pregabalin and wondered if I would be better on that
did you get any side effects I get quite bad downers and depersonalisation, but what scares me is I have a book on DP wrote by doctors from the mausdley hospital in London and they do not recommend
antipsychotic medication for DP or DR....I know sometimes its not wise to read to much but these are the experts on DP

Manda

I've had constant derealisation for 34 years (rather than DP which I've only had on occasion) and I think the Pregabalin is helping a little in that regard although I'm still liaising with my GP over the most suitable dosage.

There are minor sexual side effects, but the other side-effects (for me) of sleepiness and double vision have pretty much gone by being careful of the timings of each dose.

mandshere2000
14-12-12, 14:08
Hi mark
Thank you for replying
Sending big:hugs: to you 34 yrs is a long time, how have you managed to live with it
I have had DR but its mainly DP, to me it feels like being in hell so scared and makes
me feel so down and tearful
Still have the quetiapine sitting here, just not knowing what to do.... worried that this
is another medication that would be hard to come off once I start it
Have reluctantly been on/of Prozac for over 20 years, now since 2004, this is just not
how I want to live my life, but have had to realise that lots of traumas in my childhood
and life have made it impossible for me to do it alone:huh:
Hope you don't mind me asking, what other medications have you been on

Manda

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Oh and my sleep is terrible, sure this cannot help the DP/DR
can never remember going to bed at say a normal time 11pm
and waking at 6/7
My sleep pattern is drop off say 5ish and lucky if I stay asleep
until 8am:unsure:

Chester
14-12-12, 16:15
I have my dose of Pregablin and still haven't taken it. I've come off trazadone so I'm not on anything atm.

I stupidly read the side effect label and saw a post trial side effect was heart failure. Now I know paracetamol suggests it can cause severe liver problems and we just don't think about knocking those back but I can't bring myself to take this

Sparkle1984
15-12-12, 12:53
I think that when reading side effects labels, it's important to realise that they have to mention every possible side effect, regardless of how rare it is. Some people won't get any side effects at all (or very few), while others will get more moderate side effects.

Of course it's impossible to guarantee that nothing bad will happen if you do take the medication, so you have to weigh up the potential benefits and risks. If you are feeling that life is unbearable right now, then it probably is best to go ahead and take the medication. If you feel reasonably confident that you can recover without the medication, then you can discuss this with your doctor and see what they say.

I hope this helps anyone who is struggling to take medication.

Col
15-12-12, 20:38
Hi mandshere, I am exactly the same! Ive had antibiotics loads BUT! when I started with panic attacks and was suffering a breakdown, I had a tooth problem and the dentist prescribed anibiotics and honestly - I regressed into a small child! I've got kids myself and there I was, having a tantrum to my hubby about how they would stop my breathing etc. I was so paranoid I called NHS direct to discuss the side effects and that I was panic stricken!
So I can completely relate to the fear of this. Do what makes you comfortable, that's all I can say! Others will tell u , oh you'll be fine, but for people like us who have a genuine fear ~ it's really not that easy!
They do for Legal reasons have to cover their backs , these pharmaceutical companies, there's even warnings on hydrocortisone cream for eczema! So rationally I'm sure you will be fine BUT, I do relate -
do what your comfortable doing :hugs:

Pipkin
15-12-12, 20:53
Manda,

Don't change the dose your GP told you to take. Take it exactly as it says on the prescription label. Don't google either! The best bet is to get a family member to read the information leaflet and then pick out things you should know.

Good luck for when you take the plunge.

Pip x