PDA

View Full Version : can tighhtness in the throat be anxiety

gordie1
13-12-12, 15:51
Hi there can tightness in the throat be a cause of anxiety?

xJust_Sarahx
13-12-12, 16:15
Yeah it definitly can, my doctor and CBT therapist said anxiety is mainly focused in the throat and breathing, i am obsessed with my breathing, i hate been breathless, i struggle to do anything and fear something bad going to happen where i cant catch my breath, anyway my throat always feels tight, even now its tight and uncomfortable. I feel better that a few different doctors say the same thing that it is a very common sign of anxiety. Especially if you have actual panic attacks because your muscles get tight. All harmless though. x

Tessar
13-12-12, 17:17
I agree with gordie. I do understand because If i get really emotional, especially when i'm already a bit out of breath or very tired etc, i can feel my throat go tighter. but the good news is that once I manage to calm down my emotions & become more settled, everything goes back to normal. I know for sure that the more focused on it that I am, the worse it will feel. i think about relaxing and taking slower breaths, saying "peace" on the inward breath and "calm" on the outward one. By using the words it helps me distract my mind & speeds up my relaxation.