PDA

View Full Version : Dad is having cardioversion tomorrow, worried

GirlAfraid23
13-12-12, 18:28
Hi guys me again,
My dad has AF - dont ask me to write its full name!
Basically his heart isn't functioning properly in one part, the beat is irregular.
The doctors say its quite a common condition, they've tried to stabilise it with pills but that didnt work so tomorrow he's having cardioversion which is basically stopping the heart and re-starting with electric paddles. They say its a general procedure that happens all the time but because of my health anxiety I'm quite anxious.
Any words of reassurance?

Annie0904
13-12-12, 18:52
It is a very routine procedure and doesn't have any complications except maybe a little dizziness straight after. Your Dad will be fine and it will help his heart to beat regular again. It is done for atrial fibrillation which just means the heart flutters a bit and the procedure will regulate this. Nothing serious and very simple procedure so don't worry x

Mountainclimber
13-12-12, 19:30
Dont worry, everything will be fine. Its just like Annie 0904 says. AF is common and cardiologist do this all the time, once the heart stops, and they see a flat line the heart is started again , its all over in seconds, and you dad will wake up feeling fine. seen it being done and really is amazing . so dont worry.

GirlAfraid23
14-12-12, 14:15
Thanks for your support guy's he's at the hospital at the moment, I'm anxious as usual!

Annie0904
14-12-12, 14:18
It is expected that you will be anxious when your dad is in hospital but it will soon be over with and he will be recovering and fit and healthy :)