PDA

View Full Version : Can your body 'overdose' itself with adrenaline?

secondtimelucky
13-12-12, 21:32
Hi all, just wandering, in a panic attack scenario, can the body over-do the adrenaline rush and cause harm to the heart/other bodily functions?

Mark13
13-12-12, 21:38
Short answer is no.

From the NHS Choices site:

"Panic attacks can be very frightening and intense, but they are not dangerous. A panic attack will not cause you any physical harm..."

Hope this helps

Tessar
14-12-12, 09:48
i think that although anxiety & too much adrenaline is very scary, i dont think it ccan overdose. i must admit that i dont usually get prolonged anxiety but did have that last week as so much stuff went on. but once i managed to calm myself down (after 2-3 days of full on non-stop fear & adrenline rush type thing) i am back to normal. i totally agree with the nhs choices information below - i guess its just rather unpleasant while it lasts but you do go back to normal & feel better again.

Brunette
14-12-12, 13:08
No. At the same time your body is producing the adrenaline, it is also producing the chemicals needed to calm you down.

That's because the fight or flight response happens as an intense but short-lived reaction to stress - it isn't something that can be sustained.