PDA

View Full Version : thunder (again)

sassy
23-08-06, 20:30
ok once again thunder is about and i was so scared earlier i thought id stop breathing or scream and it didnt even thunder! i shook so much!
this fear is so bad and we are forecast it tonight. im so scared the panic will kill me or drive me insane.
please can anyone give me any coping stratagies? this is beginning to take over my life and worries me sick. i have 4 kids to be here for (im single) and im really so scared :(
em x

twiglet
23-08-06, 20:40
hi em,
i know what its like. we've just had thunder here and i dont like it one bit. try to keep your self occupied. maybe whatch a film or something. i cleaned my house to keep my self occupied this after noon. :) oh well at least i dont have to do it tomorrow. hope you feel better.
take care, hun
twiglet xx

jodie
23-08-06, 21:06
hi sassy

yep we have had thunder only a bit but i hate it i have tryed not to let it show that it bothers me as my little girl is like me and panics when it starts
jodie

in need of a friend
24-08-06, 14:33
try no www.nopanic.org.uk they have tapes and things that can help. I do know that they have one for problems of this nature.

sassy
24-08-06, 15:30
hi. took half a diazepam to calm down and went to sleep about 1am. i was so tired that i didnt even notice when it apparently thundered at 3:30am
sighh i can laugh now but ive checked the weather over 40 times today lol

alicia123
25-08-06, 08:31
As I said before Em, go and see an hypnotherapist and get rid of the thunder phobia. I understand that you can get rid of a phobia using NLP - NeuroLinguistic Programming as well in about 20 minutes, so you reall don't need to suffer.

alicia

This helped me (so I don't go on about it!):
www.alphadynamics.com

in need of a friend
26-08-06, 15:32
the best way to sort out a phobia like this is to understand it. what exactly is it about thunder that bothers you? is it the sound, the lightning?

do a search on it, find out what causes it. always know your enemy

Insomniac
26-08-06, 16:19
Hi sassy

Glad you're feeling a bit more positive now. Luckily I don't worry about thunder (unless I'm camping!), and my little girl loves it.

But I understand nervously checking the weather..... its hot weather that I hate. When its really hot I start to panic. When I get PAs I get hot sweats and always wonder whether its the start of a panic or just the weather. Then you start looking for other symptoms and make yourself worse...

I usually try to distract myself by doing other things and concentrate on breathing properly, though its certainly not easy. Sometimes I'm a right chatterbox to my hubby just to keep my brain occupied. ha ha

Lisa.

sassy
27-08-06, 08:58
silly me-woke up at 7am and checked the weather..shows heavy thunder at 4am tomorrow, so now instead of enjoying my sunday, im working myself into a frenzy and its hours away!!
breathing doesnt work-i just seem to hyperventilate. i never had this fear before my son was born a little over 2 yrs ago.

when i feel thunder about (especially during the day), it makes me feel claustrophobic-like i cant breath. at night its the lightening and knowing whats next that scares me rigid.

kate
27-08-06, 09:52
It's the "lack of control thing", not being able to control what happens and when, which is at the base of most anxiety/phobias. It just manifests itself in the form of many fears and phobias.

It all boils down to positive thinking over negative thinking. Thinking the best rather than the worst.

I KNOW what the theory is, just can't put it into practise!

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

sassy
27-08-06, 10:35
exactly kate.
when im having a pa in a shop..i can leave.
even my worry over hair loss...ok if worst comes to the worst? i can wear a wig lol. as scary as my other fears are-i can do somehing about them.
thunder? im trapped and all the hyperventilating/valium/controlled breathing in the world is not going to stop it happening, there is absolutely no escape :(
oddly enough i did find that sticking my head out of the window helped a little :S

kate
27-08-06, 11:07
I sympathise soooooooo much, Sassy, as all my anxiety is down to lack of control/ nowhere to escape to as well.

Sorry, can't give you any tips as I always panic as well! [:I]

Kate

alicia123
27-08-06, 12:07
Honest, guys, it is sooooo easy to get rid of a phobia with the methods described above. You really don't need to suffer.

alicia

www.alphadynamics.com

kate
27-08-06, 12:20
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement, Alicia!

I personally don't find it easy at all.

Kate

LockedShut
27-08-06, 13:46
I'm terrified of thunder too... I just grab my iPod and sit with my duvet over my head for about half hour until I think it's over. It's a great way to catch up on my podcasts!

xo

<center>***************************
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me...</center>

alicia123
27-08-06, 16:27
Have you tried it, Kate?

alicia

www.alphadynamics.com

kate
27-08-06, 16:51
Yes.

Kate

Lindalou64
27-08-06, 18:25
i had a real;ly bad fear of storms i use to be touchered as a kid with them thats why but now im a single parent and just know what to do to be safe..still dont care to much for them only when im home alone i just say in my head ok its only a storm this shall pass to and it does......keep trying..............Linda[8D]

sassy
27-08-06, 18:45
i think if i didnt have the kids, id feel less worried. i would hide in the wardrobe, or cover myself with the duvet and ipod! but i have 4 kids and my eldest is scared also and when it thunders at night..at least one if not all of them will be awake and i cant hide or do these things. all i can do is put some music on but i have no curtains in 2 of my rooms so there is no escape from the lightening, except to close eyes :(
i KNOW its silly..i TELL myself its silly but for the life of me, i cant calm down when it happens.
im in a state now and its 6 hrs away..thats if it even does thunder.
sorry for constantly going on about it but knowing im not alone in this fear and writing things down somehow helps.
em xx

alicia123
27-08-06, 19:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Yes.

Kate

<div align="right">Originally posted by kate - 27 August 2006 : 17:51:27</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

It didn't work for you?

alicia

www.alphadynamics.com