PDA

View Full Version : Far from home

NYCGal
13-12-12, 22:49
Hi everyone,
I only found this site today and after reading a bit signed up. Living daily with Anxiety and Panic disorder sucks. It effects so much of my life that I get so angry with it, but I know that I need to exercise some patience.

I always suffered from mild anxiety, but one day at work, I had a panic attack. I didn't know what it was at the time, but by the third trip to my GP in one week, and a battery of tests, she told me I was suffering from Panic Attacks. I resisted for a while but four weeks in, and over a dozen panic attacks later - I found this amazing psychologist who got me back on track. I was panic and anxiety free for three years and felt great!

Recently, work relocated me from NYC to Switzerland. At first, I was fine - and then one day in the office a massive Panic Attack hit (which was quite embarrassing in front of a new boss and colleagues). I have been struggling again ever since. I have not had a completely anxiety free day in a year and cannot get through a week without one full blown panic attack. It sucks. I am in therapy twice a week and feel like I am getting nowhere and trying to do it the 'no meds' route, except as needed. The problem is that I am needing the panic medication more frequently and I am worried about becoming addicted - one more thing to add to my growing list of worries.

What I have found amazing about this site, is how many people have such similar experiences and feelings as I do. Its so easy to feel alone when you suffer from this and no one really understands what you are talking about. When you try to explain the irrational fear that you are going to die; that watching Grey's Anatomy causes a panic attack because you are convinced the pain in your arm is a warning of a heart attack or the stomach ache is an AAA; that you are banned from webmed because you start to hold your breath; that nighttime is the very worse part of day and as a result you never want to sleep. In a few short hours, I have read several posts, all with similar experiences (just maybe not at the same time). I have sat here nodding, smiling and crying. So, thank you for showing me I am not crazy or alone in feeling this way.

Sorry for the long message - just needed to get it all out there. I never thought I would be a "support group" person - but I am kinda glad I am.

Mark13
13-12-12, 22:58
Hi NYCGal

Glad you found us, welcome to the forum.

nomorepanic
13-12-12, 23:05
Hi NYCGal

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
13-12-12, 23:16
Welcome

Veronica H
14-12-12, 08:22
:welcome:to NMP. Glad that you have found us.

Vx

Sparkle1984
14-12-12, 12:59
Welcome to the forums. I'm sure you'll find plenty of support here. Apart from the panic attacks, do you enjoy living and working in Switzerland?