PDA

View Full Version : DVT Fear.

Ziggy455
14-12-12, 20:13
I'm so worried that I'm going to develop DVT and suffer from Embolism or even a stroke! I don't smoke, rarely drink anymore - Don't take any drugs but I spent ALOT of time on computers (For Uni) I spend 9 - 10 hours a day on computers but I move around ocassionally for a stretch.

I'm just sort of worried I'm going to have DVT. I don't know how to get rid of this fear. I've had Chest X-Rays and blood tests recently. They came back clear, the doctor told me.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

chl_hobbs
14-12-12, 21:12
Ziggy, I am feeling the same as you at the moment.

Ive posted loads on here the past few weeks. The HA started again with a vengeance when the IV in hospital 4 weeks ago was hurting so much I asked them to take it out. They still left it for another 8hours and then they did. I never had any huge red swelling, or warmth to my arm, but my whole arm hurt so much and the skin was mottled all down my forearm that I panicked. Over the next 3 weeks I kept going to a+e and they gave me 3 d-dimers. all came back negative so they said it wasnt phlebitis or DVT.I was ok then for about 5days and then the pain came back. Then I started getting awful sharp pains in my chest, and a feeling like something was stuck in there. Yesterday I went to my lovely GP and told him I think im having a breakdown because Im convinced Im going to die of a clot...stemming from my 'inflamed veins' in my arm.He told me it wouldnt be a PE and calmed me down.

Today though, above my right ankle in my calf (on the inner side), it feels like I have something 'stuck' in there. Its really uncomfortable. Ive had it all day and at times my thigh hurts too - the back of my calf feels ok, its the inner side of my right calf that feels like someone's stuck a pencil in it and left it there.

Get this.... Ive even measured BOTH legs and marked in pen ON THE LEGS what they measure. I know that this is so mad, and my partner has seen it and told me Im an idiot, but Im checking constantly to see if there's any swelling by re-measuring!My foot also has pins and needles in it :(

Im so scared. ALL WEEK Ive been scared. I dont know what to do, and Im obsessing over DVTs and PEs and it's really really frightening.

Ziggy, sorry for the long post. I just want to say that I know how you feel, and that Im feeling the same as you. It feels very real :(

Charlotte

Ziggy455
14-12-12, 21:19
Ziggy, I am feeling the same as you at the moment.

Ive posted loads on here the past few weeks. The HA started again with a vengeance when the IV in hospital 4 weeks ago was hurting so much I asked them to take it out. They still left it for another 8hours and then they did. I never had any huge red swelling, or warmth to my arm, but my whole arm hurt so much and the skin was mottled all down my forearm that I panicked. Over the next 3 weeks I kept going to a+e and they gave me 3 d-dimers. all came back negative so they said it wasnt phlebitis or DVT.I was ok then for about 5days and then the pain came back. Then I started getting awful sharp pains in my chest, and a feeling like something was stuck in there. Yesterday I went to my lovely GP and told him I think im having a breakdown because Im convinced Im going to die of a clot...stemming from my 'inflamed veins' in my arm.He told me it wouldnt be a PE and calmed me down.

Today though, above my right ankle in my calf (on the inner side), it feels like I have something 'stuck' in there. Its really uncomfortable. Ive had it all day and at times my thigh hurts too - the back of my calf feels ok, its the inner side of my right calf that feels like someone's stuck a pencil in it and left it there.

Get this.... Ive even measured BOTH legs and marked in pen ON THE LEGS what they measure. I know that this is so mad, and my partner has seen it and told me Im an idiot, but Im checking constantly to see if there's any swelling by re-measuring!My foot also has pins and needles in it :(

Im so scared. ALL WEEK Ive been scared. I dont know what to do, and Im obsessing over DVTs and PEs and it's really really frightening.

Ziggy, sorry for the long post. I just want to say that I know how you feel, and that Im feeling the same as you. It feels very real :(

Charlotte

It sucks that you're feeling like this! I have heard so many scary things about blood clots and such and I hear that symptoms are sometimes non-existent!? I'm terrified right now. :huh:

nomorepanic
14-12-12, 22:06
If you think about it you spend the same amount of time in bed at night asleep and you don't get DVT's then do you?

You need to think about what worries you about getting one as well? We have members on here that have had blood clots and are still alive and well

chl_hobbs
15-12-12, 10:22
I think it's the fact that it can be very risky, but that also what if i miss it? What if, in actual fact, Im telling myself not to be so stupid, and that I wont have one...when in actual fact I do, and I leave it TOO late? That's the thing with HA, its the 'what if' thoughts that lurk in your mind. My whole leg is hurting today and my hip is also hurting a lot. So paranoid and nervous - I dont even know how a DVT is supposed to feel, as Ive 'over read' about it now!x

Em.ma
15-12-12, 19:43
I have this fear all the time and I've sat down for long long periods of time and not moved and have never come to any harm what so ever I really wouldn't let it worry you at all

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Also you would know if you had one the pain would be very bad indeed one leg bigger than the other swelling redness and the area would be warm to the touch as well

Ziggy455
20-12-12, 13:00
I spend ALOT of time on computers and such but I'm still terrified of having a blood clot. I heard they rarely have SYMPTOMS and I really don't want to suffer a stroke because I wasn't alert enough to get myself checked out. I had blood tests a while back and an ECG and they came back clear -The doc said- but I'm just not sure. :weep:

Colin44
20-12-12, 13:24
I spend ALOT of time on computers and such but I'm still terrified of having a blood clot. I heard they rarely have SYMPTOMS and I really don't want to suffer a stroke because I wasn't alert enough to get myself checked out. I had blood tests a while back and an ECG and they came back clear -The doc said- but I'm just not sure. :weep:

I sometimes have this fear too, I spend too much time behind a desk with work. The backs of my thighs hurt alot, get up and walk about. A good rub down seems to help too..

As for clots, my uncle had a clot in his leg (smoker, heavy drinker too) and his clot became an inflammation of his leg and it was like a big rash, he was given a course of tablets to help with clearing it.

The risks of developing it are not only due to sitting down alot, there are other factors.

Ziggy455
20-12-12, 13:27
I sometimes have this fear too, I spend too much time behind a desk with work. The backs of my thighs hurt alot, get up and walk about. A good rub down seems to help too..

As for clots, my uncle had a clot in his leg (smoker, heavy drinker too) and his clot became an inflammation of his leg and it was like a big rash, he was given a course of tablets to help with clearing it.

The risks of developing it are not only due to sitting down alot, there are other factors.

Well I have optimal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and everything else. I suffer from migraines, I don't think they're such a factor as I rarely get them. What other factors cause a risk? I hear these things about people my age suffering from strokes and locked-in syndrome and it terrifies me because I think 'Well they're my age? What's the difference between me and them?'

Colin44
20-12-12, 14:03
Well I have optimal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and everything else. I suffer from migraines, I don't think they're such a factor as I rarely get them. What other factors cause a risk? I hear these things about people my age suffering from strokes and locked-in syndrome and it terrifies me because I think 'Well they're my age? What's the difference between me and them?'

What age are you?

DVT is more associated with post surgery, it can happen then but still rare. A couple of news stories about DVT on long flights shouldn't be something to worry about. Chance are these people might have had underlying medical that would have contributed to it.

Ziggy455
20-12-12, 16:05
What age are you?

DVT is more associated with post surgery, it can happen then but still rare. A couple of news stories about DVT on long flights shouldn't be something to worry about. Chance are these people might have had underlying medical that would have contributed to it.

I'm 20. Non-smoker, barely-drinker. Not out of shape but could do to lose some extra pounds.

It's not LONG HAUL flights and DVT that bother me, it's stories of people who are twenty -Or in that age range- who have strokes that render them completely paralyzed and the ****ing news reports always put 'YOUNG, HAPPY AND HEALTHY!! :mad:

Colin44
20-12-12, 16:10
I'm 20. Non-smoker, barely-drinker. Not out of shape but could do to lose some extra pounds.

It's not LONG HAUL flights and DVT that bother me, it's stories of people who are twenty -Or in that age range- who have strokes that render them completely paralyzed and the ****ing news reports always put 'YOUNG, HAPPY AND HEALTHY!! :mad:

And there are many millions who are the same as you who live a long happy, healthy life.

Thinking about something thats not happened yet isn't healthy, and chance are it will never happen to you!:yesyes:

Ziggy455
20-12-12, 16:44
And there are many millions who are the same as you who live a long happy, healthy life.

Thinking about something thats not happened yet isn't healthy, and chance are it will never happen to you!:yesyes:

I know but it doesn't stop the intrusive thoughts of 'What if?' :weep: