PDA

View Full Version : zoloft side effects - CAUSING panic attacks!?

Carla_Howells86
14-12-12, 21:40
hi all,

i'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot over the last few months. you seem like a nice bunch and reading people's comments has reassured me i am not alone, so thanks for that.

i am a 26 year old female who has been taking Sertraline now for 6 weeks.

i have a long history of depression including two suicide attempts. i have always taken to binging on alcohol and cigarettes when times get tough and when anxiety hits but i decided that was doing more harm than good and i needed to take positive action.

to cut a long story short my anxiety has been really getting to me more and more since april. i was in a great job paying 30k+ per year and i was in line to move to another even better job but completely imploded, turned down the better job and quit the job i was working. since then i've had 4 more jobs in 8 months, all of which i've lasted 4-6 weeks before i have to take time off due to anxiety and panic attacks and can't cope any more.

the doctor put me on 50mg sertraline and has now moved it up to 100mg.

taking it has horrible effects for me...it's almost got the same kind of feeling as the worst panic attacks i get within minutes of taking my daily dose... i feel dizzy, can't breath, feel like i will die, paranoid, hot flushes, restless, agitated, heart feels 'heavy' not too fast (usually about 80bpm) but just feels really really heavy and thudding. this happens every day for about 3 hours and i have to lie down in a dark room to get over it. i've explained this to my mental health worker and doctor who both said to ride it out and it should get better, but it really is torture. i was just about able to cope with it and getting used to it but now my dose has gone up the effects are doubled.

my doctor and mental health worker have both said to give it a month on the new dose to get used to it. the thing is, the medicine does seem to be working. i am having a lot less panic attacks and generally less anxious, but just whenever i take it i feel horrible for 3 hours or sometimes longer and that completely destroys me.

i just wanted to know if others had this kind of experience and could make any suggestions

thank you

abby38
30-12-12, 13:40
Hi.. I seem to be experiencing the same thing, it's awful. I've been on them 7 weeks and a couple of weeks ago my dose was increased from 50 to 100mg and same thing, feel absolutely horrendous for hours afterwards, jittery, nausea, palpitations, heavy feeling in chest, lots of symptoms and I really cant bear it. I was so ill last night, it was really scaring me x