PDA

View Full Version : anxiety over eye floaters!

Aimez
23-08-06, 23:26
Hi, this is my first post but have been going on this site for a couple of months. I first started noticing the floaters a couple of months ago when i was looking at a white wall and i seem to be seeing at least one or two all the time now. Been to the opticians and my eyesights fine and going to gp tomorrow coz i cant stop worrying! Have been on the internet every nite trying to find somehthing that will improve it but i feel am getting panic attacks every time i read "you'll just get used to it!" Has anyone else had them and they''ve improved/gone and found any supplements have worked? please help!

nomorepanic
23-08-06, 23:36
I get them when anxious and when I feel better they go away.

Welcome aboard by the way.

have you seen all the other posts about them?

Nicola

Aimez
24-08-06, 01:08
Yeah, thanx! read them all lots! so do u have a few and they just go after a few days?

nomorepanic
24-08-06, 01:11
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and they do freak me but I know it is anxiety and they will go cos they have before.

We just need to understand why we get them and that we are not alone and it does help

Nicola

ruthb1
24-08-06, 17:51
HI,

I HAVE SUFFERED WITH BLACK FLOATERS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS NOW, AT FIRST THEY REALLY FREAKED ME OUT, AND THEN I WENT TO THE OPTICIAN AND THEN HE SENT ME TO THE EYE HOSPITAL AND THEY CONFIRMED THAT THEY ARE INDEED FLOATERS AND THERE ISNT ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO. ALTHOUGH IT IS UNUSUAL FOR PEOPLE TO GET THEM AT MY AGE I HAVE JUST GOT TO LIVE WITH IT AND IN TIME YOU WILL LEARN TO LIVE WITH THEM AND YOU WONT NOTICE THEM AS MUCH

HOPE THIS HELPS

RUTH

Dave777
24-08-06, 18:28
Me too, over the recent weeks I've had plenty, afraid I don't know anything about it. Is it protein?

Dave

tulip123
24-08-06, 18:43
I've got lots of them. If I don't worry about them, i don't notice them.

Tulip

disneybabe
24-08-06, 22:34
I also have floaters in my eys. Have has them for years. You get use to them after awhile. Try not to worry about them they are harmless.

michele harris
24-08-06, 22:57
Hi,
I've had floaters for a while too especially when I look at white walls or the ceiling when I wake up. I was obsessing about it for a while too. I've asked loads of work mates if they are worse for them when they look at the walls at work and nearly everyone has the same thing, the more I think about them the more I see. Don't worry it's normal.

shellfass

net
25-08-06, 03:08
i've had floaters for 10 years and i have now got used o them and dont notice so much but when i first got them i was terrified. theyare nothing to worry about and are harmless and not a sign of anything bad, i did notice that as soon as i stopped worrying they werent so dark

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

Graham
07-09-06, 17:23
Floaters. Aaarrrrrgggh.... I've had floaters for many years but in the last four months they've doubled [no kidding]. I've had my eyes checked thoroughly twice and my eyes are in great health.

They really annoy me and have got me down over the last few months. As the previous posters have said, you have to get used to them. It's easier said than done and they're bl**dy annoying at the computer.

I have several dark clusters, stringy lines, a wash of a few of them, and cloudy - see-through ones. It can be freaky when you glance at the TV or a bright light as you see them shoot past. I also have small circles that zoom around.

Too be honest I'm thankful that I have good eyesight. Obssessing about them does not help.

The advice I was given was:

"Not much to do with them apart from get it checked out fully, as you already have, to ensure no opthalmic/medical reasons behind it, then ensure you are always well hydrated so vitrous fluid is kept as liquid as possible, keep off the simple sugars, avoid looking into sunlight/ bright conditions without eye protection and often plain white backgrounds worsen you noticing them."

It is quite common, a little more uncommon when you're younger [I'm 38], but it's estimated that nearly 70% of the population have them.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me on this issue as I struggle with it too but am learning to cope.

Graham.

~~~ It is a poor heart, and a poorer age, that cannot accept the conditions of life with some heroic readiness. RLS. ~~~

su54321
07-09-06, 20:08
Hi!

I never knew anyone else saw them too! I thought it was just me or a figment of my imagination! Well actually i knew i wasn't imagining it but put it down to maybe dust over my eye in that liquid film but that i just couldn't feel it or something...found this link on google but you probably already have it http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm
it's really interesting! and now i am not so worried about it, especially if 70% of the population suffer from it as Graham said.
thye do get rather annoying though, especially when i'm talking to someone and a big see-through splodge suddenly blurs my vision, i get paronoid that the other person can see!

su xx

Allie
07-09-06, 21:25
I've had them all my life from time to time and I think everyone does! Visual disturbances are a common symptom of panic and anxiety and i don't think they're dangerous at all!

My advice is try not to look out for them (there's a lame joke in there somewhere!) and they'll probably go away because your attention isn't on them all of the time.

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

Dan21
08-09-06, 16:24
Does anyone get what I can only describe as 'bright spot type floaters'? They sort of look like the spots you get when you have looked at something bright, but they only last for a second or two?

-----------------------------
I want to go up to my anxiety, smile, put my arm around it and say to it caringly, 'Hey! How are you? How's your day been?'

Then, just as its about to answer me, I wanna throw a sack over it and give it a hiding within an inch of its life.

That would be nice.

Phill2
10-09-06, 11:49
Had em since I was a kid and I'm 53 now. They are permanent but absolutely harmless.Annoying, but harmless.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

langlim
11-09-06, 10:14
hi ya,

I too get floaters, but only when I think about it. I could go days, weeks, then when I say to myself "oh I havent had eye floaters for a while" guaranteed they come back, got them now I'm thinking bout it!!!!

Bloody annoying!!!

Laura
x