PDA

View Full Version : New take on the same problem

kivyt73
16-12-12, 20:48
I was just diagnosed hypothyroid a week and a half ago and my doc put me on synthroid. My TSH was 5.18 and my T4 and T3 were normal. My doc didn't say this but I have since discovered this means I am subclinical hypothyroid. I didn't feel like I had a lot of symptoms but since being on the meds I feel a bit better. Less tired, my eyes are not burning, less anxiety and my palpitations have pretty much stopped. The thing is I am only taking half of the 25mcgs that the doctor prescribed. I am very sensitive to meds (I only take 5mg of lipitor to control my cholesterol, the starting does is 20mg or 40mg). I didn't want to experience any side effects or go hyperthyroid so I decided I should start out slow. I haven't had any side effects so that worked but now I am working myself up that I am not taking enough, almost blaming myself like I am doing something terribly wrong by not taking the full dose yet. My thought was by taking this low dose I can avoid side effects and then when I retest in about four weeks now I will be better aware of how the meds effects me and this wil help with further dose increases should they be necessary. I was also thinking that it would be better for my body to start slow then if I need an increase in the future my body will tolerate it better.

What do you guys think? I am getting more and more anxious that I am doing something wrong even though I know my reasons are sound and logical.

Thanks,
Ivy

beauty2010
17-12-12, 23:49
Hi
Can't see a problem, but if you are worried you could always phone the receptionist/ secretary and ask them to leave a message for the doctor. Then if the doctor is worried about what you are doing he/ she can phone you to discuss it.
Bxx

kivyt73
18-12-12, 01:27
Thanks Beauty,
I am just going to tell him at the next appt. This has been so overwhelming for me and this is all I can do for now. I am med phobic so taking anything is really hard for me.

Ivy

countrygirl
18-12-12, 11:20
Ihave worked for thyroid advice charity in UK. As long as you tell your Dr what you have done whenyou have your next blood test this is not a problem, the problem would be if he didn't know you weren't taking the dose registered on his records.
I would suggest you continue on the dose you are on until your next blood test - make totally sure that your dose is recorded when you next attend and then see what the results are. If your results are in normal range then I can see no reason why you cannot continue on this dose but obviously you need to discuss this with your Dr.
I was diagnosed over 20 yrs ago with underactive thyroid , mine is rather unstable so I have tests every 3 months or sooner. Never go more than 6 months between tests, alot of Drs say once a year but NO as alot can change in that time so insist on more frequently.

kivyt73
18-12-12, 12:31
Thanks Countrygirl for the excellent advice. That sounds like a great plan and that is what I am going to do.

Ivy