PDA

View Full Version : Hullo

BlueNowhere
17-12-12, 13:10
Hi all,

I've come across this forum a few times in the past, and have often found useful information and experiences I can relate to. I've joined now as I have worsening anxiety as I approach an upcoming "holiday".

A bit about me:

I'm a pretty pragmatic, well prepared and competent individual. I prefer being solitude. Some of my work involves presentation, teaching and lecturing (to various audiences, in various means) - I'm good at that.

However, I do suffer from panic attacks, often when I'm in a group, walking through the high street, etc. I've also got quite a few obsessive habits - rituals when I leave the house, go to bed etc. When I walk through town for example, I visualise dark thoughts, but I have a sort of compass that I feel guides me to making safe decisions - for example, I'll get a bad vibe if I walk on the wrong side of a lamp post. Now, I'm a scientist and I know it's irrational, but that's how I behave.

I did ignore these things but they worsened to the point that I decided to ask my GP for help.

Now I take sertaline 100mg (after some success with citalopram, but continuing anxiety attacks) with diazepam on an as needed basis. My OCD behaviour is slightly better, but I still get the occasional panic attack (when in the shops, or something like that - not when standing in front of a room of 500 people).

Anyway, I considered myself to be getting along fine, though recently my anxiety has worsened - this post is getting rather long so I think I'll explain more about that in another topic... I just meant to say:

Hi!

Baggs
17-12-12, 13:13
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help here as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Mark13
17-12-12, 13:14
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll find lots of support. There are many OCD and anxiety sufferers here.

nomorepanic
17-12-12, 13:20
Hi BlueNowhere

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Col
17-12-12, 13:22
:welcome: hi, ahh horrid anxiety , I am sure you'll get loads of advice on here, it's great!

Sparkle1984
17-12-12, 18:07
Welcome to the forums. You'll get plenty of support here. :)

almamatters
17-12-12, 18:08
Hi and :welcome: to the site

BlueNowhere
18-12-12, 11:36
Thanks all, there's a lot of people here, and a lot of useful information. Half of it is just coming across a post and thinking "wow, that's me". I hope I can give back as much as I get out.