PDA

View Full Version : yet more swollen lymph nodes, I feel petrified!

lo89
17-12-12, 23:32
Here I am yet again, stressing about lymph nodes!
I have posted a few times about the node on the back of my neck, I measured it last night and it is 1cm, round, hard and immobile. It is definitely not an insect bite as it is under the skin rather than on it, however it is attached to the skin. It has grown considerably over the last month or so, and caused me some pain for a few days.

I have also got what feels like a swollen node on my collarbone on the same side, however it could also be a vein lying over a tendon, I am not so worried about this one but I do still worry a bit. It is more prominent than anything I have at the other side, and has got more prominent over the course of 8 weeks or so. it causes me a pulling/tight sensation.

I was able to cope relatively well with both of these U til I felt two small (half a centimetre) nodes on the side of my neck (other side) really low down - one is quite freely mobile, but hard, the other is slightly larger, slightly harder, and slightly less mobile - it also appears deeper in the muscle.

I have always worried about lymph nodes, and always check them, so I can honestly say I have never had anything like these - it is different from the swollen glands I get when I have a sore throat etc. I am really worried as I know these areas all drain from your scalp, and I am being seen by a dermatologist about a dodgy mole on my scalp (4 monthly appointments!) so I am honestly petrified.

I do have a slight cough just now and a few insect bites, but given that there are so many nodes involved and all in different places, I can only imagine the big c.

Does anyone have any reassurance?

beauty2010
17-12-12, 23:46
recently at work, someone was really worried about her daughter who had very large lymph nodes, night sweats and weight loss (and fatigue)
She had googled it and was worried about some blood cancer or something.
It turned out to be stress.
Bxx

lo89
18-12-12, 00:11
Thanks for the reply.
Thing is, I am not at all stressed just now. I am finished uni until February, I am just back from a weeks holiday, and Christmas is my favourite time of year. I should be totally chilled!

justina
18-12-12, 08:47
Everything I ever heard about lymph nodes says that less than 2 cm is nothing the doctors worry about. Also if you touch them often it is normal that they become somewhat more swollen. Your mole is being monitored so I really think you don't need to worry about that!:bighug1:

lo89
18-12-12, 11:14
Thank you.
Rationally, I know you are right, it is just because of how firm and immobile it is. The big one popped up last Wednesday so I will feel it again tomorrow and then phone my doctor as it will ruin Christmas if I don't have it checked.