PDA

View Full Version : Urgent assurance required

AaronB
18-12-12, 12:11
Hi everyone,

I was just giving a driving lesson (i'm an instructor), and just at the end of the lesson (about twenty minutes ago), I felt one of my normal heart palpatations. However for about three seconds after, I felt faint, and like my heart really slowed down, rather than doing the normal THUD and then continuing as normal.
I thought I was going to pass out!

I have been doing so well recently but this has terrified me.

My symptoms now are fine. Heart rate is normal, I feel fine just very shaken.

I'm really trying to get some perspective and re assurance here can anyone relate to this?

Just to add in case it's relevant, I was wearing one of those 'therma-care' muscle heat pads, across my shoulder and at the base of my neck. It was quite warm and did make me slightly warmer than what is comfortable. Not loads though. I've taken it off now.

vitabelle
18-12-12, 12:13
anxiety is horrible but that's what it sounds like to me. when I feel like this im so in tune with my body that every little things seems amplified. that's what this sounds like you were concentrating so hard on your heart. all the symptoms sounds like anxiety x

AaronB
18-12-12, 12:16
anxiety is horrible but that's what it sounds like to me. when I feel like this im so in tune with my body that every little things seems amplified. that's what this sounds like you were concentrating so hard on your heart. all the symptoms sounds like anxiety x

The reason it's worrying me so much this time is before the heart palpatation I wasnt anxious at all, I was completely fine.

I'm well aware a palpatation doesn't have to be because of anxiety but its the few seconds after the palpatation that has freaked me out.

:weep:

vitabelle
18-12-12, 12:20
yeah I understand why your worried. I often get anxious out of nowhere for no reason, ill be fine then boom. I think its just what our bodies do they are so used to be panicked by the smallest of things and our minds can make those come whenever it pleases. it is horrible I know but we just need to try out best to get through it. you are fine x

countrygirl
18-12-12, 16:55
I have had ectopic missed heart beats for nearly 30 years and a few years ago mine changed to getting multiple ones where I feel really faint but never actually faint. Cardio told me that it is normal for changes to happen and of course this freaks us out even more!! I find that if I take a deep breath and cough hard this can stop the missed beats but I totally understand how you feel as when I first had the multiple missed beats and felt so faint I ended up in A&E where my heartbeat was fine if very fast.

Cardio told me that serious heartbeat problems will make you faint so he was only concerned if I actually passed out. He said it is normal to feel faint with missed beats and only anxious people notice them and the symptoms anyway.

ricardo
18-12-12, 17:12
Do you have low blood pressure as that may influence what you describe,but it is only a thought.

almamatters
18-12-12, 17:17
I get these completely out of the blue, first few times it happened I panicked badly, but once I began to accept for some reason they just happen I calmed down. Mine feels almost like my heart is tipping over then does a loud kind of thud :shrug:

countrygirl
18-12-12, 17:19
Perfect description of a missed (ectopic) heartbeat. Cardio called then the HH horrible but harmless so keep telling yourself they are HH.

AaronB
18-12-12, 17:25
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I've spent the afternoon trying to rationalise, and gain some perspective. I am still here, still breathing.

I feel a bit weak, tired, and generally 'sluggish'. I am guessing this is because I created so much anxiety so quickly when I first felt this sensation.

I'm glad a couple of you feel the faint feeling too. This is the only part that has freaked me out.

My normal 'heart burps', have a skipped beat, then a thud. I've actually had a couple of those after the earlier event.

The one earlier did the skipped beat, which I felt, but then no thud. Followed by the fainting sensation.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

I'm going to go to the doctors tomorrow (if I can get an appointment), and ask for an ECG.

Throughout my history with anxiety my regular GP has listened to my heart through her stethoscope on a couple of occasions but has never seen it as necessary to do an ECG.

I think I should ask for one to put my mind at rest.

countrygirl
18-12-12, 18:50
Ask if you can be referred for a 24 hr holter moniter ecg as this is more likely to pick up the ectopic beats - you most likely will have to have a standard ecg in the surgery first but your Gp can def arrange the 24 hr one from the hospital.

I have had about 10 of these over past 30 years for my own peace of mind and its great if you can feel the problem and know its being recorded on the ecg an then it comes back as a normal trace with ectopics.

Cardios consider ectopic beats to be a normal variation of a heartbeat.