PDA

View Full Version : Should I push for second opinion?

Dan21
18-12-12, 20:52
Hello,

I was at the doctors last week with stomach and abdominal discomfort. Doctor said it was most probably IBS due to stress. The thing is I've had a lingering slight pain/twinge right in the centre of my abdomen, just below the sternum. Had more stomach acid than normal too.

I'm not overly confident that this is just IBS as it doesn't seem like a typical IBS symptom, I don't think. From what I've read IBS is usually lower down discomfort. I have to admit I'm more tense than normal lately. Someone suggested that this pain below my sternum could be a result of anxiety rather than IBS....??

I could go back to the doctors and ask for more tests but surely the doctor would have referred me if he thought there was something more serious going on wouldn't he?

Not sure what to do. Only thing I am sure of is that this is making me more and more anxious.

Advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

XJMatt
18-12-12, 21:09
There'd be no harm in getting another appointment or asking NHS direct for advice if it becomes a burden, the end of the day long as you can find out and get a peace of mind is what will make you feel better and unfortunately you have got to be persistant and make sure the Doc's understand you completely. But, if its also just anxiety giving you bother then you might just need a good relaxing day or two to get out n about and keep yourself busy!, thats what keeps anxiety away in my opinion and thats worked for me so far :).

Sadly i don't know alot about IBS or the stomach troubles you've mentioned, but i hope it gives you no more bother in the near future and you get get to the bottom of your worries :D

Mark13
18-12-12, 22:13
I've had IBS and must admit the pain for me was generally left side below ribs and very low abdomen, almost pelvic pain.

Pain near sternum, I've only had with indigestion, so it could be stomach acid related. My Doc recently prescribed a drug to lower my stomach acid, although I haven't "cashed in" the prescription yet, as my symptoms have subsided.

Dan21
18-12-12, 22:44
Thanks Matt, Mark.

This may sound like an absurd question, but can increased stomach acid be an indicator of stress? It's a symptom I've never had before.

Mark13
18-12-12, 22:47
Dan

I know some folk on here avoid Dr.Google, but my Health Anxiety is mild now, so I don't mind looking..

I found this which I think is relevant:
"Stress can aggravate stomach acid production resulting in chronic heartburn or acid reflux. Heartburn, also called acid indigestion, results from stomach acid that rises up into the esophagus. It causes a burning sensation in the chest and throat. Some people who suffer from frequent heartburn have a condition known as gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. Medications and dietary changes can help treat the disorder. Lifestyle changes that help reduce stress may also relieve or eliminate acid reflux."

Dan21
18-12-12, 22:52
Mark, that is a particularly kind gesture; I really appreciate it.

That seems like it could be more of the thing I'm experiencing. It'll be difficult going into Christmas laying off the rich food and drink but I think anything that can help reduce the symptoms will also help me reduce my anxiety.

Thanks so much.

Mark13
18-12-12, 23:10
My pleasure Dan

I would never post anything "serious" from a Google search BTW, I'm conscious that members here are anxious about their health.

Fortunately there's usually lots of non-serious reasons for symptoms, so I post those, if I think it will help someone.

Mark

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Oh and just in case you were worried, I found that info quickly and didn't see any other more serious conditions jumping out at me, so the GERD / acid reflux must be commonly associated with your symptoms.

Also I've seen that you've had tests to rule out serious illness.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Ah, me again.

Just checked my prescription and it's for "Lansoprazole 30mg gastro-resistant capsules".

These were specifically prescribed for me to combat excess stomach acid. Something you may want to discuss with your Doc.

Dan21
18-12-12, 23:14
Beyond kind Mark, really.

The flare up tends to be when I stop and start to be still in the evening. When I'm moving about during the day, my mind seems to be less focused on the symptoms. Sitting at home, the mind starts to wander...or at least, mine does.

I think a return to the docs could be a good idea, just to cover all possibilities.

Thanks again mate - the forum needs more good folk like yourself.

Best wishes for Xmas mate.

D21

Mark13
18-12-12, 23:18
And to you D21

Doing a favour, or just trying to help someone, and getting appreciation makes me feel good so we both benefit :)

Anxious_gal
19-12-12, 05:07
My IBS pain is usually above the belly belly button, higher up.

It gets worse when I panic or get too stressed.

If the pain isn't constant then that's always a good sign.